The stupidity of limiting ammunition

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-04-2013, 08:30 AM
RE: The stupidity of limiting ammunition
(29-04-2013 02:57 PM)Chas Wrote:  Well, that devolved. Drinking Beverage

Everyone stop being fucktards and we can have a discussion.

Phaedrus, you're being confrontational. Leave 'terse' to those who do it better. Dodgy

TBD, you're not defining the problem you want to solve or describing how your proposal solves a problem.

I thought I had defined this several times already, but here goes.

Gun violence and suicide by gun and mass shootings, are problems I have issue with.

Each problem should be handled independently through numerous courses of action, and one of those courses is through better legislation for guns and ammunition, plus better regulation of individuals who own and use guns, plus better training for anyone seeking to purchase guns, plus registration of guns (primarily to protect gun owners in the event of theft).

And although these issues should be addressed independently, some of the solutions for each may intersect. And I think this intersection occurs at gun legislation as well as in health care and in education.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-04-2013, 09:25 AM
(30-04-2013 08:30 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(29-04-2013 02:57 PM)Chas Wrote:  Well, that devolved. Drinking Beverage

Everyone stop being fucktards and we can have a discussion.

Phaedrus, you're being confrontational. Leave 'terse' to those who do it better. Dodgy

TBD, you're not defining the problem you want to solve or describing how your proposal solves a problem.

I thought I had defined this several times already, but here goes.

Gun violence and suicide by gun and mass shootings, are problems I have issue with.

Each problem should be handled independently through numerous courses of action, and one of those courses is through better legislation for guns and ammunition, plus better regulation of individuals who own and use guns, plus better training for anyone seeking to purchase guns, plus registration of guns (primarily to protect gun owners in the event of theft).

And although these issues should be addressed independently, some of the solutions for each may intersect. And I think this intersection occurs at gun legislation as well as in health care and in education.

Yes, fine, but problem definitions really require more specificity.

I could come up with a list of problems that may need addressing as a starting point.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-04-2013, 09:28 AM
Violence, suicide and mass murder are the root problems. Guns are merely a tool of choice.

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
30-04-2013, 09:30 AM
You criticize those in support of stronger regulation for using statistics and facts, then the entire premise of your argument is anecdotal?

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
30-04-2013, 09:54 AM
(29-04-2013 08:44 PM)TheBlackKnight Wrote:  
(29-04-2013 04:11 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Wow...that's harsh.
I really see no reason anyone should own a gun or any type of rifle today. Really you or anyone else can't convince me they are needed or nessisary. So yes, maybe you can keep your guns and apply to the government to receive an annual allotment or ammo.

'You can't convince me' arnt the words of a sceptic. If firearms wernt need, then police and military wouldn't carry them, as they are heavy and wear you down.

It's the police's and the military's job to carry weapons. Are you one of those?

Personally, I think most gun owners are lulled into a false sense of security with their weapon. And ya, I used to own a gun. I even took the class to carry a concealed weapon. Because I wanted to know what they would tell (this was on the heels of school shooting and mall shootings (the mall one was local). I don't know what was more scary, the information in the class (that pulling a weapon can usually cause more problems and they advised heavily to NOT do it), or the kinds of people attending it.

Here's my problem...honestly I don't see limiting ammo to solve anything, in this country, it would just create a black market.

I've been around guns all my life too. My dad owned a Winchester 12 gauge shotgun (I donated it to the Winchester Museum in San Jose, Ca)

The story of me firing it the first time, is hysterical.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

30-04-2013, 09:55 AM
(30-04-2013 09:28 AM)bbeljefe Wrote:  Violence, suicide and mass murder are the root problems. Guns are merely a tool of choice.

You are silly. Everyone knows you can make crazy and criminal people less capable. You just take everything away.
30-04-2013, 09:59 AM
Yeah... because cops and military personnel aren't subject to the same sort of mental problems that we lowly serfs are. Plus, those costumes they wear contain a magical morality potion that prevents them from ever abusing their power.... Shocking

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
30-04-2013, 10:02 AM
(29-04-2013 01:43 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:  So you say.

^ And with that I've doubled your determination, for a few days. Wink

You worry about your children, and you would do anything to protect them. Even if it means sacrificing your liberty and the liberty of others. Even if it means doing the impossible. That's laudable. But your children are not, for most of us, the most important thing in the universe, and we will not give up things we hold dear for the sake of yours. So if you want to protect your children from something like Sandy Hook happening, if you really want to protect them, then you need to look at what you can actually accomplish. You will not get your ridiculous ideas about gun laws passed. Not this decade. What you can do, is work on reforming psychiatric care in America. And rather than argue on the internet with people you have no interest in listening to, you should work actively to accomplish things that can actually be accomplished. You should listen to your opponents, rather than deny their every word. And if they get upset with you, you could do better than putting them on your ignore list.

Drinking Beverage

I will readily agree with one thing you said...we do desperately need to improve our mental health care in this country.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

30-04-2013, 10:03 AM
(30-04-2013 09:25 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(30-04-2013 08:30 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I thought I had defined this several times already, but here goes.

Yes, fine, but problem definitions really require more specificity.

I could come up with a list of problems that may need addressing as a starting point.

You are asking me to take a complex series of problems, and generate a series of simple definitions from it. The problems and the interactions between them, are not simple.

Einstein said it best, "everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." I think you are asking for oversimplified definitions that would necessarily define the problem incorrectly.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
30-04-2013, 10:04 AM
(30-04-2013 09:55 AM)TheBlackKnight Wrote:  
(30-04-2013 09:28 AM)bbeljefe Wrote:  Violence, suicide and mass murder are the root problems. Guns are merely a tool of choice.

You are silly. Everyone knows you can make crazy and criminal people less capable. You just take everything away.

When the only tool you have is a hammer, everything starts to look like a nail...