The terms Religion or Religious

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-12-2013, 02:58 PM
The terms Religion or Religious
From WIKI: Religion is an organized collection of beliefs, cultural systems, and world views that relate humanity to an order of existence.[note 1] Many religions have narratives, symbols, and sacred histories that are intended to explain the meaning of life and/or to explain the origin of life or the Universe

From WEBSTER: re·li·gion noun \ri-ˈli-jən\ : the belief in a god or in a group of gods
: an organized system of beliefs, ceremonies, and rules used to worship a god or a group of gods
: an interest, a belief, or an activity that is very important to a person or group

I would like some clarification on who and what can be refered to as religious. It seems more and more christians I encounter take offense to these terms and claim there views and relationship concerning God do not fall under these labels. If I read the above correctly, having any type of spiritual identity/doctrine/god satisfies the definition. I do get quite beffudled when someone who abides by the rules of the bible, attends group gatherings at church, and worships a god has the nerve to bark at me if I call this hobby of theirs a RELIGION!.

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Timber1025's post
11-12-2013, 03:08 PM (This post was last modified: 11-12-2013 03:12 PM by childeye.)
RE: The terms Religion or Religious
(11-12-2013 02:58 PM)Timber1025 Wrote:  From WIKI: Religion is an organized collection of beliefs, cultural systems, and world views that relate humanity to an order of existence.[note 1] Many religions have narratives, symbols, and sacred histories that are intended to explain the meaning of life and/or to explain the origin of life or the Universe

From WEBSTER: re·li·gion noun \ri-ˈli-jən\ : the belief in a god or in a group of gods
: an organized system of beliefs, ceremonies, and rules used to worship a god or a group of gods
: an interest, a belief, or an activity that is very important to a person or group

I would like some clarification on who and what can be refered to as religious. It seems more and more christians I encounter take offense to these terms and claim there views and relationship concerning God do not fall under these labels. If I read the above correctly, having any type of spiritual identity/doctrine/god satisfies the definition. I do get quite beffudled when someone who abides by the rules of the bible, attends group gatherings at church, and worships a god has the nerve to bark at me if I call this hobby of theirs a RELIGION!.
To me, religion is a man made imagery of god or gods. I believe in the Christ however, which is to believe in an image of God sent by God Himself, and therefore not made by mankind. That to me is the difference. There are those who claim the Christ as the foundation of their religion, but the teachings of the Christ contradict that assertion as is shown in the Gospel. No person can own the Truth which is why the Christ was crucified by religion. The True image of God was killed by the false imagery of god because it threatened their station of authority. Therefore we see men killing men of God believing they are serving God. Also see the inquisition concerning the matter.
11-12-2013, 03:10 PM
(11-12-2013 02:58 PM)Timber1025 Wrote:  From WIKI: Religion is an organized collection of beliefs, cultural systems, and world views that relate humanity to an order of existence.[note 1] Many religions have narratives, symbols, and sacred histories that are intended to explain the meaning of life and/or to explain the origin of life or the Universe

Example of religious person. Christians of 1st century in Judea who became members of Church of Jesus Christ and followed teachings of the Prophets and Apostles were religious people.
I am religious person. I do the same thing what ancient Christians did. And I am not offended when someone calls me religious.
House of Israel are religious people. I belong to them

English is not my native language.
that awkward moment between the Premortal Existence and your Resurrection
11-12-2013, 03:17 PM

11-12-2013, 03:17 PM

11-12-2013, 03:19 PM

11-12-2013, 03:45 PM
To understand the reason evangelicals take offense at the term religious, you need to understand the theological background of evangelicals when they use the (false) dichotomy of religion/relationship.

The original dichotomy of the reformation was that of law/gospel, where the law dictated the commandments of god and the works god requires (and because you are a sinful human being, your inability to measure up and hence be condemned), and the gospel where the proclamation of forgiveness, life and salvation was announced for the "sake" and because of the life suffering and death of jesus of nazareth (apart from works, received by faith alone).

This distinction dominated the early Reformation against what was perceived as semi-pelagianism (salvation by works and faith) in the Roman church.

By the 20th century, the dichotomy evolved into the law/grace distinction, which for the most part was essentially the same with some nuances.

By the 1960's in the Jesus People movement in the west coast a new distinction came out. The distinction of religious/personal relationship. It evolved the law/grace distinction in a different and more superficial way. It usually defines anything ceremonial and traditional as religious and anything edgy and spiritual as personal relationship.

As an atheist, they will dodge the term religious even though it most certainly applies to them. I suggest using the term "faith" or "believer", they most certainly cant dodge that.

Good luck

“The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is because vampires are allergic to bullshit.” ― Richard Pryor
11-12-2013, 03:52 PM
(11-12-2013 03:08 PM)childeye Wrote:  To me, religion is a man made imagery of god or gods.
How about religion that is taught by true Prophets of true God? I mean what do you think about this kind of religion?

(11-12-2013 03:08 PM)childeye Wrote:  I believe in the Christ however, which is to believe in an image of God sent by God Himself, and therefore not made by mankind. That to me is the difference.
and what is the point of this kind of belief?

(11-12-2013 03:08 PM)childeye Wrote:  No person can own the Truth which is why the Christ was crucified by religion
The True image of God was killed by the false imagery of god because it threatened their station of authority. Therefore we see men killing men of God believing they are serving God. Also see the inquisition concerning the matter.
what kind of RELIGION does teach this?Smile

11-12-2013, 04:02 PM
(11-12-2013 03:52 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(11-12-2013 03:08 PM)childeye Wrote:  No person can own the Truth which is why the Christ was crucified by religion
The True image of God was killed by the false imagery of god because it threatened their station of authority. Therefore we see men killing men of God believing they are serving God. Also see the inquisition concerning the matter.
what kind of RELIGION does teach this?Smile

Childeyeist Christianity, also known as Bovine Eschatology and WhateverIHappenToPullOutOfMyAssIsm
Wink

“The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is because vampires are allergic to bullshit.” ― Richard Pryor
11-12-2013, 04:07 PM (This post was last modified: 11-12-2013 04:23 PM by childeye.)
(11-12-2013 03:17 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(11-12-2013 03:08 PM)childeye Wrote:  I believe in the Christ however, which is to believe in an image of God sent by God Himself, and therefore not made by mankind.
That to me is the difference.
Quote:OK. And what does it mean to believe in Christ?
And why do you need this kind of belief?

Dear Alla. I don't mean to speak or think bad of anyone who considers themselves religious. The term is very general and could be applied to the belief in almost anything one trusts or serves including money. To me to believe in the Christ is to believe that the Love seen in the Christ is the same Character as that of the divine.
I need this kind of belief because it is a better image than I could make up and it fills me with hope and joy and cures all the ills caused by a corrupt image. I need it because it agrees with the Word in my heart, which gives me confidence and strong conviction in a world that will try a persons viable commitment to Love no matter what.

(10-12-2013 07:00 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  There are those who claim the Christ as the foundation of their religion, but the teachings of the Christ contradict that assertion as is shown in the Gospel. No person can own the Truth which is why the Christ was crucified by religion. The True image of God was killed by the false imagery of god because it threatened their station of authority. Therefore we see men killing men of God believing they are serving God. Also see the inquisition concerning the matter.
Did Christ organized His Church?
Who were the foundation of His Church?
And Who was the Corner Stone of that foundation?
Christ is the cornerstone. The apostles were a foundation. But Christ did not actually organize his church however. That is the work of the Holy Spirit of Truth. Please note that all who are born of God are chosen by God. Only God can make children of God. All members of the body of Christ are not held together by a religious belief, but by a single Spirit that guides us in all Truth. Sure we all give testimony to what that Truth is, but it (He), lives in us individually and orchestrates the body without any need of any worldly political power structure to which we would need recognize. As Jesus said, the Kingdom of God is neither here or there but in the heart. You can call it a religion which you can call almost anything, but as I see it, it is just faith in what always was.