The third type of smoker?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-04-2011, 11:18 PM
The third type of smoker?
All the time in my life I've seen smokers and non-smokers.
Smokers smoke because they are addicted, smokers don't smoke. *captain obvious hat*

But I never heard, until myself, of people who smoked but are not addicted.
Every time I say that I get some lecture about how even if I think about smoking that means I'm addicted and I'm kidding myself and all that stuff. But I smoke very infrequently. In fact I average 2 smokes a week, always cuban cigars (they are legal in the UK) but sometimes I feel like smoking because, to me, it's an enjoyable thing to do.

When I was in high school I was smoking cigarettes, usually 5 or 6 a day, to get me through GCSEs, but as soon as they were over and I wasn't stressed I gave up completely because without a reason for the stress relief properties I didn't want to smoke at all because it wasn't very nice frankly. I didn't have any withdrawal symptoms at all.
A couple of years later after a bunch of job drama I ended up at the YMCA, decided to buy a pack of cigarettes to sort of wedge myself in socially, because smoking with people is one of the easiest social situations in my experience. After that pack was half way after a week (1 cig a day at break time was all I needed them for anyway) I decided to give the pack to a guy I'd got to know and then I moved on to mini-cigars, 1 a day for socializing at break, plus I liked how they tasted and the fact that you can feel the smoke, plus it's smoother then cigarette smoke.
After I was done at the YMCA I moved to larger cigars and have been averaging one 10-pack every 3 weeks since. Though generally I just smoke because I'm bored, or if I go out into town I'll have a cigar with my lunch, just stuff like that.
I don't see myself ever returning to cigarettes.

Anyway wow I don't even know what I was getting at now. Turned into a life story ramble... Oh well...

Casual smoker? Social smoker? what?

*has confused himself now*

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-04-2011, 02:41 AM
RE: The third type of smoker?
I don't smoke cigarettes, but I smoke weed, and I am not addicted, because if you follow weed-science, you will know that you can not get addicted to weed. When someone asks me if I smoke, I just say no. if they offer me a cigarette, I also say no. So that makes me a non-smoker. So are you.

Smile

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
09-04-2011, 07:52 AM
I never smoke cigarettes as I have quite a first-hand experience about slowly dying by lung cancer. Also I have a heart disease and I do not want to make it worse. Sometimes about once in 2 months I smoke a cigar with friends, because it tastes good.

..."we can be truly free - not because we can rebel against the the tyranny of the selfish replicators but because we know that there is no one to rebel."
Susan Blackmore : The Meme Machine
09-04-2011, 05:36 PM
First things first:

(07-04-2011 11:18 PM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  ...smokers don't smoke. *captain obvious hat*

Yes.. Very obvious...

(07-04-2011 11:18 PM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  But I never heard, until myself, of people who smoked but are not addicted.

Perhaps you just couldn't differentiate between smokers that are addicted and those that are not.
Anyways, interesting story.

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire
29-04-2011, 08:47 PM
I used to smoke but don't think I was really addicted, not to the nicotine anyway. I started at 14 and hid it from my family, when I was 16 we went on holiday to Australia for around a month and I couldn't smoke at all but I didn't miss it at all. However as soon as I got back I really wanted them again. I think I was addicted to the habit rather than the nicotine so when I didn't have the temptation there it didn't bother me.
01-05-2011, 12:35 PM
I guess that's an option. Maybe the on again off again types who just smoke for a while and then give up.
Maybe moderation is the word.

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
01-05-2011, 03:48 PM
I'm gonna say moderation.

I smoke sometimes because I enjoy it, not all the time because I'm addicted.

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
02-05-2011, 03:02 AM (This post was last modified: 02-05-2011 03:14 AM by Efrx86.)
I've seen people who don't smoke and still, one day they'll very casually smoke a cigarette. On our last family reunion I saw this clearly. My father, as always, was still quite a heavy smoker, and half the time I was there he was holding a cigarette. When coffee was served, his two brothers (uncles of mine, duh), who are non-smokers, casually asked for a cigarette each. I knew one of them smokes a mint-flavored Dominican cigar once a month because every year he receives a pack of 12 of those cigars by mail as a birthday gift from an old friend, it's kind of like a tradition for him, but the other one kinda surprised me because I had thought he was full-time non-smoker, yet still he grabbed a ciggy, lit it up and smoked it like it was nothing. And each of them only had that one ciggy. A full two months later and they're still pretty much non-smokers on any given day. I've asked them both about it, and they say that they like it, but they know the dangers of smoking and avoid it as a habit, so they only do it during social situations where there's one or more heavy smokers, kinda like many people do with alcohol.

The God excuse: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument. "God did it." Anything we can't describe must have come from God. - George Carlin

Whenever I'm asked "What if you're wrong?", I always show the asker this video: http://youtu.be/iClejS8vWjo Screw Pascal's wager.
02-05-2011, 11:39 AM

I don't smoke anything. I use to smoke weed years ago, but stopped. I don't smoke cigarettes because I'm allergic to cigarette smoke. I use to smoke a cigar once in a blue moon, but the idea of mouth cancer sort of made that absurd.

I'd say for anyone who thinks free based nicotine isn't addictive, should give themselves a little test. Instead of claiming they smoke occasionally because they enjoy it, instead make a solemn personal promise not to smoke at all for 6 months.
If one can not not smoke at all for 6 months, without excusing they did because they simply felt like it, they're kidding themselves. Compulsion is a symptom of addiction.
Quote this message in a reply
02-05-2011, 01:07 PM

Just my theory on it I would say there are persons who are more and less receptive to all forms of addictives. Clearly there are social drinkers and there ate alcoholics. Alcoholism is hereditary. There are casual pot smokers and addicts. So it would reason there are smakers addicted to nicotine and casual smokers. The percentages would likely have a lot to do with the addictiveness of the "drug" and the way it interacts with the body.
Quote this message in a reply