The third type of smoker?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-05-2011, 04:44 PM
RE: The third type of smoker?
7 people in my family have died of lung cancer, but only one of them was a smoker. He had 40 a day from the age of 13 till he died at my grandmas house a few days after his 50th birthday

Jesus Jumping Christ on a traction engine wearing a kilt and eating a marmite sandwich!!!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-05-2011, 05:57 PM
Hi, I am what's called "social smoker", have been for almost 20 years. I always have a pack of cigarettes in my bag, but I smoke maybe 2 a week, and usually on the weekend. To me, smoking a cigarette is like enjoying a glass of wine: I don't have to drink, I don't have the urge to drink, there are plenty of times I don't want to drink, but once in a while, it's just a pleasant thing to do. Same with cigarettes. It's unfortunate that people have been mislead into thinking the only reason one would smoke is addiction, and that smoking automatically leads to addiction. While it is true and many cases, it isn't always true.

English is not my first language. If you think I am being mean, ask me. It could be just a wording problem.
Find all posts by this user
02-05-2011, 09:37 PM
I used to smoke a lot of cigarettes and they are to me quite addicting but unfortunately I stopped smoking by switching to moist snuff. This is also addicting but at the moment I am trying to quit because it to can cause cancer or gum disease which I don't want. Smoking is horrible for you. I was coughing up black and brown and shortness of breath and etc. No more smoking for me and I tried to smoke a cigarette and just couldn't. It was not enjoyable at all and hurt to inhale so I'll never go back to smoking and hopefully I can get off of smokeless tobacco.
03-05-2011, 02:30 AM
(02-05-2011 09:37 PM)Snuff Wrote:  I used to smoke a lot of cigarettes and they are to me quite addicting but unfortunately I stopped smoking by switching to moist snuff. This is also addicting but at the moment I am trying to quit because it to can cause cancer or gum disease which I don't want. Smoking is horrible for you. I was coughing up black and brown and shortness of breath and etc. No more smoking for me and I tried to smoke a cigarette and just couldn't. It was not enjoyable at all and hurt to inhale so I'll never go back to smoking and hopefully I can get off of smokeless tobacco.

Couldn't help but notice your post. Switch to e-cigarettes. There's no tar in them and you can gradually reduce the nicotine content until it's gone completely.

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
11-05-2011, 10:00 AM

I smoke cigarettes on periods of my life that are characterized by stress or sadness. When I'm feeling emotionally O.K., I "miraculously" have no need to smoke; on the contrary, I develop a disgust to the taste and smell of it.

I've been on and off smoking since I was 17. I'm 24 now and although I do consider myself to be a smoker, I can easily say that my average cigs per day so far is definitely below 1 during those 7 years.

I can spend months, even a year without having a single smoke. Then something just happens and I'm worse than a chimney. People call it a relapse. I call it an effective use of stimulants.

Why I chose cigs instead of patches is another story however. It's quite emotive. I saw it, I thought it was cooler, I chose that one. But one way or another I would turn out to be an instrumental nicotine user in the end.

If I believed in immortality I would have second thoughts about the tar but I only intend to live for as long as my body can sustain itself. Tongue
Quote this message in a reply
11-05-2011, 10:49 AM
(11-05-2011 10:00 AM)Celestus87 Wrote:  I smoke cigarettes on periods of my life that are characterized by stress or sadness. When I'm feeling emotionally O.K., I "miraculously" have no need to smoke; on the contrary, I develop a disgust to the taste and smell of it.
Funny, that reminds me that while I don't mind to have my own cigarette once in a while, I don't like it when others puff their smoke in my face. I find second hand smoke smells pretty bad.

English is not my first language. If you think I am being mean, ask me. It could be just a wording problem.
11-05-2011, 01:32 PM

Ha, I understand this, I only smoke when im at work (4 days a week, and only when I get a break) so I dont think im addicted. When I'm not at work I dont even think about it unless I see someone else smoking. If I was able to smoke all the time, though, I don't think it would be the same.
It's all in your head!
Quote this message in a reply
14-05-2011, 01:25 AM
And that what is in your head is called addiction. Yes, you are addicted, don't fool yourself, nicotine is highly addictive, similar to heroin. Try to stay away from cigarettes for a month or more and you'll see...

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
14-05-2011, 02:15 AM
My wife smokes. About 3-4 cigarettes a day. I smoked for about 6 months about a year ago. I peaked at 7 a day. I cannot imagine being a pack a day smoker.

I successfully quit smoking on the second try. It is extremely addictive physiologically and psychologically. Even now I still get cravings when I'm stressed.

Whenever the cravings hit I try to remind myself how miserable I felt afterwards. And don't get me started on the mornings. And the coughing.

For God so loved the world that he arranged for everyone to both have free will and to suffer the terrible consequences of making the wrong choice. Kind of a dick move, God.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-05-2011, 01:20 PM
(14-05-2011 01:25 AM)Filox Wrote:  And that what is in your head is called addiction. Yes, you are addicted, don't fool yourself, nicotine is highly addictive, similar to heroin. Try to stay away from cigarettes for a month or more and you'll see...
You don't know if that poster is addicted or not. He's telling you he's not. But apparently you know better? On what basis?