The thought crime equivalence

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-08-2015, 03:01 PM
The thought crime equivalence
I posted a more in-depth entry of this on my blog today. It's not worth checking out per se, but I just wanted to mention this here: Every once in a while I'll think of something from the bible, a particular verse that is tied to some edict and try to relate it to other actions in life to see how it holds up for us.

Take Matthew 5:28 ... "But I say unto you, that whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart."

If merely thinking something is equivalent to doing it, then (1) why not just do it since you're screwed anyway and (2) does this logic pertain to the other commandments? For instance, someone gets very angry at another person and fantasizes about killing that person. Did he just commit murder?

I could go on and on but I think I made my point. Just another reason why the bible and religion are bullshit.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like WillHopp's post
13-08-2015, 03:03 PM
RE: The thought crime equivalence
And even better -- if you're guilty about it just for thinking about it -- shouldn't you just go ahead and do it????

They're gonna fry ya anyway....

heh

Oh.. shit.... you said that too......

Hobo

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
13-08-2015, 03:11 PM
(13-08-2015 03:01 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  I posted a more in-depth entry of this on my blog today. It's not worth checking out per se, but I just wanted to mention this here: Every once in a while I'll think of something from the bible, a particular verse that is tied to some edict and try to relate it to other actions in life to see how it holds up for us.

Take Matthew 5:28 ... "But I say unto you, that whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart."

If merely thinking something is equivalent to doing it, then (1) why not just do it since you're screwed anyway and (2) does this logic pertain to the other commandments? For instance, someone gets very angry at another person and fantasizes about killing that person. Did he just commit murder?

I could go on and on but I think I made my point. Just another reason why the bible and religion are bullshit.

yup, and all one has to do is read the ten commandments to know that isn't the work of a "god". "covet not thy neighbor"....really? not thou shalt not rape, or thou shalt not enslave another human being.....nope....don't covet they neighbor's wife made the cut though...sounds like something a patriarchal group of dipshits from ancient times would make up....oh wait..

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 3 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
13-08-2015, 03:16 PM
The whole "Thou shalt not covet" shit is just plain dumb....

People wanting shit, is what keeps the economy going.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
13-08-2015, 03:19 PM
(13-08-2015 03:01 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  If merely thinking something is equivalent to doing it, then (1) why not just do it since you're screwed anyway and (2) does this logic pertain to the other commandments? For instance, someone gets very angry at another person and fantasizes about killing that person. Did he just commit murder?
Yes, in his/her heart. It is not a sin yet. But when you fanaticize about something evil and do not stop doing it you might make it a reality. Then you commit a sin.
It's like if I can't drink coffee(sin) but if I think about it, I fantasize about it( drink in my heart) it is harder for me to resist temptation. Most likely I will drink it.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
[+] 1 user Likes Alla's post
13-08-2015, 03:26 PM
(13-08-2015 03:19 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(13-08-2015 03:01 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  If merely thinking something is equivalent to doing it, then (1) why not just do it since you're screwed anyway and (2) does this logic pertain to the other commandments? For instance, someone gets very angry at another person and fantasizes about killing that person. Did he just commit murder?
Yes, in his/her heart. It is not a sin yet. But when you fanaticize about something evil and do not stop doing it you might make it a reality. Then you commit a sin.
It's like if I can't drink coffee(sin) but if I think about it, I fantasize about it( drink in my heart) it is harder for me to resist temptation. Most likely I will drink it.

And why do we care? What's the point of pointing it out?

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-08-2015, 03:36 PM
(13-08-2015 03:19 PM)Alla Wrote:  

The verse condemns one for "committing adultery with her already" by just thinking those thoughts, not because it may lead to adulterous actions. You do really make this crap up as you see fit you warped and trapped shell of a supposed thinking human.

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
[+] 1 user Likes Timber1025's post
13-08-2015, 03:38 PM
I think the thoughts are made into crimes in order to set a broad enough definition of sin to encompass everyone, so that even someone very timid or stripped of all power to act can still be damned.

The small numbers of persons saved compared to persons condemned imply to me that god is much more interested in damnation than letting heaven get too crowded.
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
13-08-2015, 03:41 PM
(13-08-2015 03:01 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Take Matthew 5:28 ... "But I say unto you, that whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart."

In my heart?

I mean, I've heard of kinky, but this is just weird. I mean, WEIRD. How is that anatomically even possible?

I mean, in her groin, sure. Maybe in a few other body parts. But in my heart?

How the hell does THAT work?

Cool

(I know there's a rule 34 of this somewhere, but I don't WANT to know it, so no links.)
[+] 1 user Likes Reltzik's post
13-08-2015, 04:00 PM
On the perticular point of thought crime, I think Marilyn Manson phrased it the best in the following quote: «All the seven deadly sins are man's true nature. To be greedy. To be hateful. To have lust. Of course, you have to control them, but if you're made to feel guilty for being human, then you're going to be trapped in a never-ending sin-and-repent cycle that you can't escape from.»
[+] 2 users Like epronovost's post