The thought crime equivalence

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-08-2015, 04:11 PM
RE: The thought crime equivalence
Think of all those people out there committing gluttony by watching the Food Network . . .

What if Flavortown turns out to be hell??

I don't want to know about the donkey sauce . . .

(22-08-2015 07:30 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  It is by will alone I set my brows in motion it is by the conditioner of avocado that the brows acquire volume the skin acquires spots the spots become a warning. It is by will alone I set my brows in motion.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Octapulse's post
13-08-2015, 04:40 PM (This post was last modified: 13-08-2015 04:45 PM by GirlyMan.)
(13-08-2015 03:36 PM)Timber1025 Wrote:  
(13-08-2015 03:19 PM)Alla Wrote:  Yes, in his/her heart. It is not a sin yet. But when you fanaticize about something evil and do not stop doing it you might make it a reality. Then you commit a sin.
It's like if I can't drink coffee(sin) but if I think about it, I fantasize about it( drink in my heart) it is harder for me to resist temptation. Most likely I will drink it.

The verse condemns one for "committing adultery with her already" by just thinking those thoughts, not because it may lead to adulterous actions. You do really make this crap up as you see fit you warped and trapped shell of a supposed thinking human.

I don't think she's making this shit up. I thought she was making shit up about LDS being polytheistic and much to my surprise they are. (Probably should've have caught on when she started talking about us all becoming Gods and the father, son and holy ghost are not three in one but three collaborating as one they call a Godhead or something like that. They reject the Holy Trinity so there's 3 Gods from the gitgo.) I looked into Mormon's position on homosexuality based on some excellent links that one of you posted here and found that historically they have been vehemently opposed to homosexuality but in recent years have softened their stance. I think they consider homosexual behavior the same as sex outside of marriage. They welcome both homosexuals and nymphos and adulterers and as long as they don't act out on their impulses or urges it's not a sin. It's only a sin if it is physically realized. Mormons must either reject Matthew 5:28 or reinterpret it somehow. I think she's also right in the sense that the more I fantasize or obsess over something the more likely I am to realize it. They still are vehemently opposed to same-sex marriage. But I'm not sure whether that's based on theological grounds or practical legal implications. Like what if 2 homo Mormons got married outside of the church but abstained from sexual relations? They aren't sinning. Don't think they know what to do with them yet. But I am encouraged that they are thinking about it it.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
13-08-2015, 05:51 PM
(13-08-2015 03:01 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  I posted a more in-depth entry of this on my blog today. It's not worth checking out per se, but I just wanted to mention this here: Every once in a while I'll think of something from the bible, a particular verse that is tied to some edict and try to relate it to other actions in life to see how it holds up for us.

Take Matthew 5:28 ... "But I say unto you, that whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart."

If merely thinking something is equivalent to doing it, then (1) why not just do it since you're screwed anyway and (2) does this logic pertain to the other commandments? For instance, someone gets very angry at another person and fantasizes about killing that person. Did he just commit murder?

I could go on and on but I think I made my point. Just another reason why the bible and religion are bullshit.
Allowing such thoughts to be fantasized about can result in them being played out in reality. Thanks. If you are happily married and fantasize about another person then eventually you will act on it giving the proper opportunity. Thanks.
13-08-2015, 05:55 PM
(13-08-2015 03:11 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  
(13-08-2015 03:01 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  I posted a more in-depth entry of this on my blog today. It's not worth checking out per se, but I just wanted to mention this here: Every once in a while I'll think of something from the bible, a particular verse that is tied to some edict and try to relate it to other actions in life to see how it holds up for us.

Take Matthew 5:28 ... "But I say unto you, that whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart."

If merely thinking something is equivalent to doing it, then (1) why not just do it since you're screwed anyway and (2) does this logic pertain to the other commandments? For instance, someone gets very angry at another person and fantasizes about killing that person. Did he just commit murder?

I could go on and on but I think I made my point. Just another reason why the bible and religion are bullshit.

yup, and all one has to do is read the ten commandments to know that isn't the work of a "god". "covet not thy neighbor"....really? not thou shalt not rape, or thou shalt not enslave another human being.....nope....don't covet they neighbor's wife made the cut though...sounds like something a patriarchal group of dipshits from ancient times would make up....oh wait..
Rape is a form of lust and greed. Both made the cut. Slavery was never claimed okay. It was a fact of life in ancient times. People had servents/ employees that were supposed to be provided for in return for there labor, similar to today. Thanks.
13-08-2015, 05:55 PM
(13-08-2015 03:16 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  The whole "Thou shalt not covet" shit is just plain dumb....

People wanting shit, is what keeps the economy going.
Greed and selfishness will be our end. Not dumb. Thanks.
13-08-2015, 05:58 PM
(13-08-2015 03:36 PM)Timber1025 Wrote:  
(13-08-2015 03:19 PM)Alla Wrote:  Yes, in his/her heart. It is not a sin yet. But when you fanaticize about something evil and do not stop doing it you might make it a reality. Then you commit a sin.
It's like if I can't drink coffee(sin) but if I think about it, I fantasize about it( drink in my heart) it is harder for me to resist temptation. Most likely I will drink it.

The verse condemns one for "committing adultery with her already" by just thinking those thoughts, not because it may lead to adulterous actions. You do really make this crap up as you see fit you warped and trapped shell of a supposed thinking human.
No. You assume that scripture is strictly literal as opposed to the double and triple entendres that they are. Thanks.
13-08-2015, 06:03 PM
(13-08-2015 03:38 PM)julep Wrote:  I think the thoughts are made into crimes in order to set a broad enough definition of sin to encompass everyone, so that even someone very timid or stripped of all power to act can still be damned.

The small numbers of persons saved compared to persons condemned imply to me that god is much more interested in damnation than letting heaven get too crowded.
He is interested in purity. The same stuff that it used with darkness to create everything. Thanks.
13-08-2015, 06:04 PM
(13-08-2015 04:00 PM)epronovost Wrote:  On the perticular point of thought crime, I think Marilyn Manson phrased it the best in the following quote: «All the seven deadly sins are man's true nature. To be greedy. To be hateful. To have lust. Of course, you have to control them, but if you're made to feel guilty for being human, then you're going to be trapped in a never-ending sin-and-repent cycle that you can't escape from.»
You wouldn't feel trapped, but released from burden of you didn't sin. Thanks.
13-08-2015, 06:06 PM (This post was last modified: 13-08-2015 06:11 PM by goodwithoutgod.)
(13-08-2015 05:55 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(13-08-2015 03:11 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  yup, and all one has to do is read the ten commandments to know that isn't the work of a "god". "covet not thy neighbor"....really? not thou shalt not rape, or thou shalt not enslave another human being.....nope....don't covet they neighbor's wife made the cut though...sounds like something a patriarchal group of dipshits from ancient times would make up....oh wait..
Rape is a form of lust and greed. Both made the cut. Slavery was never claimed okay. It was a fact of life in ancient times. People had servents/ employees that were supposed to be provided for in return for there labor, similar to today. Thanks.

mmmm yes, but remember "god" is omniscient, thus he knew, one would think anyway, that for one group of his creations to enslave another would be wrong....he would know the past, present and future, he would know that slavery was a basic level bad thing.......the culture at the time isn't relevant, unless you want to admit god didn't make the ten commandments, man did, just like man made god. Just like one wouldn't surmise a universe and life creating super genie would require, to great detail, and demand animal sacrifice...why in the world would he require that.....seems a bit odd....now who made up sacrifices to appease gods...oooooh I know...man....so when man was making up the Xtian god story, they naturally and CULTURALLY assumed he would demand such things. Think, evolve. Thanks.

(13-08-2015 05:55 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(13-08-2015 03:16 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  The whole "Thou shalt not covet" shit is just plain dumb....

People wanting shit, is what keeps the economy going.
Greed and selfishness will be our end. Not dumb. Thanks.

Close, fanatical religious beliefs will be our end. Thanks.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post
13-08-2015, 06:07 PM
(13-08-2015 05:55 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Rape is a form of lust and greed. Both made the cut. Slavery was never claimed okay. It was a fact of life in ancient times. People had servents/ employees that were supposed to be provided for in return for there labor, similar to today. Thanks.

I can demonstrate your comparison between slaves vs workers and servants to be absolutely wrong historically and that ancient Hebrews had both and strong distinction between the two. I can also present you irrefutable evidence that most form of rape, sexual exploitation and sexual assaults were tolerated or even encouraged in ancient Hebrew society. If you are interested in hearing them out just notice me.
[+] 1 user Likes epronovost's post