The thought crime equivalence

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-08-2015, 07:30 PM
RE: The thought crime equivalence
(13-08-2015 05:51 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  ...
If you are happily married and fantasize about another person then eventually you will act on it giving the proper opportunity. Thanks.

Or more likely if you are unhappily married.

But it doesn't follow.

Sample size = 1 (over 14 years).

Tongue

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-08-2015, 07:42 PM
(14-08-2015 07:30 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(13-08-2015 05:51 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  ...
If you are happily married and fantasize about another person then eventually you will act on it giving the proper opportunity. Thanks.

Or more likely if you are unhappily married.

But it doesn't follow.

Sample size = 1 (over 14 years).

Tongue
Whoops. Yes, unhappily. Thanks.
[+] 1 user Likes popsthebuilder's post
14-08-2015, 08:22 PM
(14-08-2015 07:03 PM)7R0MM3L Wrote:  If you don't see it, then you missed it. The passage says, "And if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell." The 'plucking' may be symbolism, but 'the whole body should be cast into hell' is very plain.
Yes, this is my point. thinking about doing evil or in other words doing evil in my heart will not get me into hell. Only if I do evil I commit sin.
Thinking about doing sin is not = committing sin.
(14-08-2015 07:03 PM)7R0MM3L Wrote:  Also: claiming the eye plucking is symbolism is problematic. How do you know that's symbolism?
Jesus was teaching in symbols. He didn't teach in plain language. He all the time had to explain what He meant/what His symbolic language meant.
(14-08-2015 07:03 PM)7R0MM3L Wrote:  How do you choose what's actual scripture, versus what's merely a story?
Spirit teaches me. God's Prophets teach me. There is no other way how to choose.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
15-08-2015, 12:19 AM
(14-08-2015 08:22 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(14-08-2015 07:03 PM)7R0MM3L Wrote:  If you don't see it, then you missed it. The passage says, "And if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell." The 'plucking' may be symbolism, but 'the whole body should be cast into hell' is very plain.
Yes, this is my point. thinking about doing evil or in other words doing evil in my heart will not get me into hell. Only if I do evil I commit sin.
Thinking about doing sin is not = committing sin.
(14-08-2015 07:03 PM)7R0MM3L Wrote:  Also: claiming the eye plucking is symbolism is problematic. How do you know that's symbolism?
Jesus was teaching in symbols. He didn't teach in plain language. He all the time had to explain what He meant/what His symbolic language meant.
(14-08-2015 07:03 PM)7R0MM3L Wrote:  How do you choose what's actual scripture, versus what's merely a story?
Spirit teaches me. God's Prophets teach me. There is no other way how to choose.

Okay, so you believe that's all symbolism. What about those who think there is no deity to believe in? Or who suspend belief, until reasonably proven otherwise? "For by grace are ye saved through faith" (Ephesians 2:8) Without thoughtful faith, am I, & others like me, sinning, & therefore condemned? To me, the whole thing stinks of being, "made sick, & commanded to be well." -Christopher Hitchens

Jesus, if he existed at all (& I know of no evidence to prove he did), thought the best way to save everyone was to speak in riddles? Why splinter your following into literalists & interpreters & a plethora of denominations, knowing (because he is/ is the son of an omnipotent being), & permitting, hundreds of years of agonizing conversion are to take place as a direct result?

I request your definition of "spirit," please.

How do you know these are god's prophets? How do you know they're not misunderstanding something/ everything? How do you know their level of sanity? How do you know they're not just fabricating? If these prophets perform, as I suspect they do, through the bible: how are their claims credible, when the book they're contained within has been proven false, & plagiarist?
15-08-2015, 05:11 AM
(13-08-2015 06:03 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(13-08-2015 03:38 PM)julep Wrote:  I think the thoughts are made into crimes in order to set a broad enough definition of sin to encompass everyone, so that even someone very timid or stripped of all power to act can still be damned.

The small numbers of persons saved compared to persons condemned imply to me that god is much more interested in damnation than letting heaven get too crowded.
He is interested in purity. The same stuff that it used with darkness to create everything. Thanks.

Thanks for what?
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
15-08-2015, 05:14 AM
For your ears.
15-08-2015, 05:47 AM
(15-08-2015 05:14 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  For your ears.

eyes

And I'd bet most are only reading what you say for the comedic value or in the same way many slow down to see a traffic accident. The grotesque can be fascinating.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
15-08-2015, 06:10 AM
(15-08-2015 05:14 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  For your ears.

I understand that you are trying to be polite. I don't think adding thanks after every sentence is achieving that. However, you're welcome.
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
15-08-2015, 06:15 AM
(13-08-2015 03:19 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(13-08-2015 03:01 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  If merely thinking something is equivalent to doing it, then (1) why not just do it since you're screwed anyway and (2) does this logic pertain to the other commandments? For instance, someone gets very angry at another person and fantasizes about killing that person. Did he just commit murder?
Yes, in his/her heart. It is not a sin yet. But when you fanaticize about something evil and do not stop doing it you might make it a reality. Then you commit a sin.
It's like if I can't drink coffee(sin) but if I think about it, I fantasize about it( drink in my heart) it is harder for me to resist temptation. Most likely I will drink it.

I think you misunderstand the bible. It is not about thinking and then carrying out the idea. It is the very idea.

Thought crime. Pure and simple.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
15-08-2015, 06:41 AM
(15-08-2015 06:15 AM)Banjo Wrote:  
(13-08-2015 03:19 PM)Alla Wrote:  Yes, in his/her heart. It is not a sin yet. But when you fanaticize about something evil and do not stop doing it you might make it a reality. Then you commit a sin.
It's like if I can't drink coffee(sin) but if I think about it, I fantasize about it( drink in my heart) it is harder for me to resist temptation. Most likely I will drink it.

I think you misunderstand the bible. It is not about thinking and then carrying out the idea. It is the very idea.

Thought crime. Pure and simple.
Thought generally precludes action. With righteous, pure thought comes similar actions.