The thought crime equivalence

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-08-2015, 06:53 AM
RE: The thought crime equivalence
(14-08-2015 12:12 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(13-08-2015 03:16 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  The whole "Thou shalt not covet" shit is just plain dumb....

People wanting shit, is what keeps the economy going.

Clearly Yahweh was a Commie.

It's not quite untrue -- many of the early Protestant sects - specifically the Quakers and Shakers --- were true communists. Communism isn't a bad thing -- it just doesn't work on large scale -- no more than pure democracy.

The problem is that too many people do "just enough" to get by and expect somebody else to do all the hard work, the innovation and the original thinking - as pure communism doesn't reward anyone - but divides the "loot" equally among all....

It's simple Pavlovian training -- people need rewards, to excel. It's a rare person who does their best, just for the sake of doing a great job.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-08-2015, 07:05 AM
(15-08-2015 06:41 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(15-08-2015 06:15 AM)Banjo Wrote:  I think you misunderstand the bible. It is not about thinking and then carrying out the idea. It is the very idea.

Thought crime. Pure and simple.
Thought generally precludes action. With righteous, pure thought comes similar actions.

I assume you mean precedes, not precludes. Either way, even if "righteous, pure thought" had any real meaning it doesn't gainsay what Banjo said. The bible embraces the idea of thought crime.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
15-08-2015, 07:09 AM
(15-08-2015 07:05 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(15-08-2015 06:41 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Thought generally precludes action. With righteous, pure thought comes similar actions.

I assume you mean precedes, not precludes. Either way, even if "righteous, pure thought" had any real meaning it doesn't gainsay what Banjo said. The bible embraces the idea of thought crime.
If you think negative things you will eventually act them out. This is why it is negative to think them. Thanks for your correction as that was indeed the wrong word.
15-08-2015, 07:15 AM
(15-08-2015 07:09 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(15-08-2015 07:05 AM)unfogged Wrote:  I assume you mean precedes, not precludes. Either way, even if "righteous, pure thought" had any real meaning it doesn't gainsay what Banjo said. The bible embraces the idea of thought crime.
If you think negative things you will eventually act them out. This is why it is negative to think them. Thanks for your correction as that was indeed the wrong word.

You always act out negative thoughts? If so, you are dangerously imbalanced and possibly need to be isolated from others not for your thoughts but for your actions. Commanding punishments for thought crimes is completely impractical even if it were not such a disgusting idea.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 3 users Like unfogged's post
15-08-2015, 07:19 AM
(15-08-2015 07:09 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  If you think negative things you will eventually act them out. This is why it is negative to think them.

Speak for yourself.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
15-08-2015, 07:23 AM
(15-08-2015 07:19 AM)Banjo Wrote:  
(15-08-2015 07:09 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  If you think negative things you will eventually act them out. This is why it is negative to think them.

Speak for yourself.
Whatever, grumpy.
15-08-2015, 07:31 AM
(15-08-2015 07:23 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(15-08-2015 07:19 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Speak for yourself.
Whatever, grumpy.

Mate I'm being serious. If you have been taught, and you now believe, that any negative thought you have you will act upon, you are seriously messed up. This is what xianity does. It leaves people deeply and emotionally scared.

And I am not really grumpy. Just bored of the same tired crap I have been hearing all these years from theists. Rarely have I met an individual. They are all basically clones. I have been talking about free thought with theists since I was 16 and am now 51. It is hard to remain patient when faced constantly with nonsensical arguments.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
Banjo.
[+] 5 users Like Banjo's post
15-08-2015, 07:34 AM (This post was last modified: 15-08-2015 07:40 AM by Free Thought.)
(15-08-2015 07:09 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(15-08-2015 07:05 AM)unfogged Wrote:  I assume you mean precedes, not precludes. Either way, even if "righteous, pure thought" had any real meaning it doesn't gainsay what Banjo said. The bible embraces the idea of thought crime.

Let me get this straight... If I think up something bad, I'll eventually do it?

How long until I can expect to be on the news for being the first man to go on a genocidal rampage against all dogs that yip?

When can I start clubbing shark-culling activists on the head while screaming "YOUR ARGUMENTS ARE NOTHING BUT FEAR-MONGERING, AND YOUR SUPPORTING DATA IS NOUGHT BUT ISOLATED INCIDENTS WHICH ARE STATISTICALLY INSIGNIFICANT!!!"

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 4 users Like Free Thought's post
15-08-2015, 07:36 AM
Man bites dog! Big Grin

Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
15-08-2015, 07:54 AM
I guess we need a definition of heart from Alla then. If committing a sin in your heart isn't a sin, Alla, then why even bother with the verse at all? To even suggest the bible-writers didn't insinuate this was a legitimate sin is to be dishonest. If "coveting" your neighbor's wife is a sin, there is zero difference here, so stop making up excuses.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post