RE: The time to ban is now
And the plot thickens.

Evolve
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-08-2012, 10:46 AM
(29-08-2012 10:43 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(29-08-2012 10:22 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Dom, you know I like you. But you plain and simple have it wrong. I don't know where you heard it, or whether you just assumed, but TTA forum is not a "safe haven" for atheists. There,s tons of forums out there that enforce rules of conduct, ban theists, and protect their own from "outsiders".

This is not one of them. The policing done here is by the community. That,s just the way it is here. I understand that this method of running a forum may not be for everyone, but saying the forum is something that it isn't won't make it so.

We do not ban people for being assholes. The sooner everyone gets that, the sooner we can stop having these threads.

Well, I am a part of the community and I say that subjecting newbies to verbal abuse is counterproductive and makes TTA not a safe haven for newbies.

I have no say over the policies so don't say they represent me.

You all know I love TTA for many reasons and I am not going anywhere, but I am damn well going to speak up when something is hurting new atheists. We want them to feel that they have arrived at a place that understands where they are coming from, not a place of verbal abuse.

Simple as that.

Speaking up is what we encourage. That's what's behind the idea of the community policing itself as much as possible. So keep up the good work! Thumbsup

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
29-08-2012, 10:46 AM
(29-08-2012 10:22 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Dom, you know I like you. But you plain and simple have it wrong. I don't know where you heard it, or whether you just assumed, but TTA forum is not a "safe haven" for atheists. There,s tons of forums out there that enforce rules of conduct, ban theists, and protect their own from "outsiders".

This is not one of them. The policing done here is by the community. That,s just the way it is here. I understand that this method of running a forum may not be for everyone, but saying the forum is something that it isn't won't make it so.

We do not ban people for being assholes. The sooner everyone gets that, the sooner we can stop having these threads.

Well, I am a part of the community and I say that subjecting newbies to verbal abuse is counterproductive and makes TTA not a safe haven for newbies.

You all know I love TTA for many reasons and I am not going anywhere, but I am damn well going to speak up when something is hurting new atheists. We want them to feel that they have arrived at a place that understands where they are coming from, not a place of verbal abuse.

Simple as that.

And that is exactly what 'self-policing' means. You go girl.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-08-2012, 10:48 AM
I know your stickin around Dom. That's why I'm not concerned about contradicting you. We've disagreed before, and I continue to really like you. Thing is, you DO have a say on policy. It's just that policy won't change because six or eight members don't like it.

I say again, this is NOT a safe haven. It's not meant to be. It was never my intent to make it so. And the overwhelming majority of members have spent the last two years supporting that.

Just visiting.

-SR
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
29-08-2012, 10:54 AM
You say we have a say yet I'm still waiting on my statue from the other thread...

Sometimes you say something and I just don't know if you're telling the truth or lying to me you know, like when you say you're at the office and you come home and you smell like perfume and have blonde hair on you and I get these ideas you know, it's like... I DON'T EVEN KNOW YOU ANY MORE!, like we're drifting apart. Maybe.. maybe Stark.. we should get a divorce.

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
[+] 4 users Like earmuffs's post
29-08-2012, 11:00 AM
I swear, it's really busy at work. I'm swamped!

....oh, and don't wait up.......gotta work late again tonight.

Just visiting.

-SR
[+] 3 users Like Stark Raving's post
29-08-2012, 11:03 AM
[Image: 1sad.jpg]

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
29-08-2012, 11:04 AM
(29-08-2012 11:00 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  I swear, it's really busy at work. I'm swamped!

....oh, and don't wait up.......gotta work late again tonight.
Stark?! You never told me you were married, you... you bastard!

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
29-08-2012, 11:06 AM

Simple as that.

(29-08-2012 10:48 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  I know your stickin around Dom. That's why I'm not concerned about contradicting you. We've disagreed before, and I continue to really like you. Thing is, you DO have a say on policy. It's just that policy won't change because six or eight members don't like it.

I say again, this is NOT a safe haven. It's not meant to be. It was never my intent to make it so. And the overwhelming majority of members have spent the last two years supporting that.

In my opinion, I would love TTA to be a place for ALL of these people. Maybe that's a bit utopia minded, but it's something I love about this place. People CAN come here as a safe haven if members who feel they can support step up for that person. When we see something happen to these new members, we can collectively witness it and rush in to correct it, showing that there are people here who care and want to help or support, because I know there are.

And people who are ruthless jerks, to the point they are almost inhumane and seem to use us as character in a game, can be here because what's sad is being in a place where you are bitter to the core. These people, in a different way, need support as well. TTA has a way of working people to be more empathetic and feel understood, I've seen it happen and I wouldn't doubt greater things can happen too. It may be a long shot, but it is a shot.

However,I do not think that either of these parties should feel for their personal safety, and that is where a clear line should be drawn. I believe both and all people should be here and have an equal voice- and hopefully they will get an appropriate response and directed in the right direction if that's necessary and helpful.

I know this might look easier written down than the mess that actually happens, but I've always loved that TTA supports all walks of people. Balance!
[+] 2 users Like LadyJane's post
29-08-2012, 11:07 AM
(29-08-2012 10:48 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  I know your stickin around Dom. That's why I'm not concerned about contradicting you. We've disagreed before, and I continue to really like you. Thing is, you DO have a say on policy. It's just that policy won't change because six or eight members don't like it.

This is not between you and me, so you don't have to reassure me. Plus I have a pretty thick skin when it comes down to it. You and I get along, no matter if we have differing opinions on something. We're both adult enough to engage in discussion.

That said, I feel very strongly that atheists NEED to have places where they can be themselves. Most people here have a lot of baggage that results directly from their atheism. Many of us came here and found an understanding community that is supportive and we all have grown a lot because of it.

Is it not fair to afford that to all newcomers? Should they not be given a chance to gain the benefits from belonging to a community such as this?

So we are going to let one bully (and this is a bully for sure) affect the life of a new atheist in such a destructive manner? Because there is a rule somewhere that says we all can cuss all we like? What sense does this make?

Inflexible adherence to rules has it's place guess in structures like the military. I am not and would never be in the military. I believe in the human ability to discern situations and adapt accordingly. Without that we are nothing, nothing would ever change.

Let it be known:

I DO NOT LIKE BULLIES!

And no one can convince me that it's ok to let them do their thing. Especially not when an unsuspecting newbie comes to a place where they hope to find support for the very thing that brings us all together.

Cussing and freedom of expression is NOT the issue here. I can say fuck and shit as well as the best of them.

Tolerating bullies has nothing to do with it. And if the rules are so badly written that bullies find protection under them, rewrite the damn things.

Reminds me of the horrible thing in congress where you attach completely unrelated bills to important ones to make them slide through even though they would never pass on their own.

The right to bear arms does not imply the right to shoot people indiscriminately.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post