The time to ban is now

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-08-2012, 11:12 AM
RE: The time to ban is now
(29-08-2012 11:04 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(29-08-2012 11:00 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  I swear, it's really busy at work. I'm swamped!

....oh, and don't wait up.......gotta work late again tonight.
Stark?! You never told me you were married, you... you bastard!

Shit. Busted.

Ok, seriously, Lady J nailed it. The protection the people receive when they are insulted should come from the members. That includes me of course, but I have to take off my admin hat when I do it.

BTW, Chas, I knew you were supporting my statement. I was addressing the "rights" issue. Same page.

Just visiting.

-SR
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-08-2012, 11:23 AM
Well, I guess I just have to leave it to everyone else to take care of these things as they occur, I am not about to take time off work to police every single thread here and defend people. I am not the police. I have to work to make a living.

Very frustrated at the inflexibility and inablity to afford basic human rights to members here.

Carry on then and let people be ambushed at will by bullies who are here solely for that purpose. I have spoken my mind. That's all I can do, running into brick walls is not a hobby of mine.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
29-08-2012, 11:25 AM
This is crap.
If he is going around harrassing others, not trolling, but verbally abusing people.. why the hell give him another chance?
I don't get it.

"You don't disappoint me.... I think your much braver than you may believe."
bemore

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-08-2012, 11:30 AM
(29-08-2012 11:25 AM)xLegendofLink096x Wrote:  This is crap.
If he is going around harrassing others, not trolling, but verbally abusing people.. why the hell give him another chance?
I don't get it.
Because he isn't violating the board rules. We have several of these people on TTA and they didn't get banned either for the same reason.

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
29-08-2012, 11:31 AM
(29-08-2012 11:25 AM)xLegendofLink096x Wrote:  This is crap.
I don't get it.

I feel like I'm not explaining myself clearly.

He's not getting "another chance". That would imply he's used up a chance already, and he hasn't. In fact he burned off his chance at using the edit option responsibly, but instead of getting "another chance" his editing capability has been removed.

Just visiting.

-SR
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
29-08-2012, 11:41 AM
Community policing is a pretty straight forward concept. It works too but everyone seems to get stuck up on the policing and not the community aspect of it.

If he's a dick, reciprocate. Or ignore. Defend people as a community. You have a voice, use it properly. Removing everyone someone doesn't desire is an effective way to alienate a large portion of the population.

One of the basic human rights everyone seems to dismiss out of hand is the right to be an ass. Obviously there are limits to assery, otherwise folks like Abdelz would still be fucking about threatening to kill people, but the limits are as relaxed as they can be for a very good reason. Often it's the very reason so many people find comfort in this forum instead of another.

Not only that but harassment can be very subjective, as was stated before. I can feel confident in the idea that if I call Erx a stinky cow fucker, he won't get offended, but only because I feel that his boundaries are rather large. However I could very well be wrong. He could secretly be very offended by that comment and just not have the confidence required to approach the subject.

And again there are people out there that thrive on being complete wankers whenever possible, maybe because that's the only way anyone notices them, who knows? There are ways of dealing with them too, but usually kicking them out of your club has the opposite effect. These people will often have nothing better to do with their time then annoy someone. And booting them can have the opposite effect.

There is no clear answer and that is why a place like this will take a hard lined stance ( multiple voices become distracting ) and put that stance up for review on a case by case. The stance is enough to keep the peace so to speak on a daily basis, and is usually only an issue when some extra ordinary asshole pops up.
Usually the rules don't need to change to deal with the one asshole in the crowd, because the vast majority of people are decent and under personal control. Why change the rules for the one dick head that makes their voice the loudest? Then everyone suffers.

Oops I've rambled and lost my train of thought. Disregard whole post. Though I've typed so much I will still post it.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post
29-08-2012, 11:47 AM
Sure he is very emotionally charged, and provides some nonsense science, but I enjoy arguments like that.

I do have to say I like it to a point.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
29-08-2012, 12:06 PM
Maybe it is time to rethink the rules. When a poster takes it to a personal insult and name calling like CUNT it is time to look very close at that poster and see if it was warranted. I can see a fight over here getting out of hand. We all do that. But if it is all the time and that is all they do is just troll. Time to ban them. That's why I find this site rather lacking.

History, I believe, furnishes no example of a priest-ridden people maintaining a
free civil government. This marks the lowest grade of ignorance, of which their
political as well as religious leaders will always avail themselves for their
own purpose. ~ Thomas Jefferson
[+] 2 users Like N.E.OhioAtheist's post
29-08-2012, 12:56 PM
(29-08-2012 11:41 AM)lucradis Wrote:  Not only that but harassment can be very subjective, as was stated before. I can feel confident in the idea that if I call Erx a stinky cow fucker, he won't get offended, but only because I feel that his boundaries are rather large. However I could very well be wrong. He could secretly be very offended by that comment and just not have the confidence required to approach the subject.

I'm not offended, but Itsacow is going to have a problem with you airing our personal lives in public like this. Drinking Beverage

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 3 users Like Erxomai's post
29-08-2012, 01:13 PM
Hmm, I missed all this. Again. Maybe I should spend less time on the happy-fun-time forums and more time on the let's-talk-serious-business forums.

"But the point is, find somebody to love. Everything else is overrated." - HouseofCantor