The times, they are a changing......

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-09-2012, 06:37 PM
So, after almost 20 years in the same industry, and 10 with the same monolithic multinational corporate behemoth, I've decided to take a job with a small private company (owned by a dreaded Private Equity firm - THE HORROR!) that is under 200 people. I haven't exactly accepted the job yet, mostly because they haven't formally offered it, but they called me today to say they would like to make me an offer and just want to make sure we can reach an agreement before they go through the hassle. They outlined the basics of what they are offering and I told them I needed a few days to think it through, crunch the numbers, and talk it over with my wife.

Usually when you leave a job for a new job, you go for bigger money. That is not going to be the case here, though. I'm going for a total package that is about what I earn now, but with the upside of a lot more risk. There is also the potential of a much greater reward as I'll be getting some small amount of equity in this fledgling but hopeful enterprise. Imagine having the chance to get some stock in Microsoft when they had under 200 employees? Who wouldn't go back in time and take that deal? I have no idea if these guys will ever amount to anything that big but I am hoping. I'm pretty sure I am going to take the job too. The only thing I need to work out is the health benefits. One of my sons has a minor medical issue that requires some medication and the medication is really expensive. Even with insurance, my outlay is somewhat ridiculous but if I end up with benefits that do not cover it we are talking thousands. So, that would be a deal breaker. But, otherwise, I think I'm going to take the plunge.

There are many words and phrases you can use to describe me - charming, debonair, Adonis-like, and let us not forget TOTALLY AWESOME!, to name but a few - but "risk taker" is never going to make that list. I am the guy who has always played it safe. I've worked hard, kept my head down, and gotten ahead by being steady, reliable and willing to work my ass off. I've climbed reasonably high up the ladder that way but I'm never going to be at the top because I don't pick my head up enough to play the politics. I've also lived through at least a dozen rounds of reductions over the past 20 years and have never been laid off or unemployed. I don't think that is luck, either. So, this is really a big deal for me. Taking on this kind of risk where it can collapse and I can be out of work in the hopes of bigger rewards down the line is really just not me. I probably won't sleep for a few days over this decision.

I'm not sure why I'm posting this. I'm generally not one to put myself out there to random strangers on the internet. Maybe it's just nerves, not sure.

Anyway, there it is, for all to read and not give a shit about.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like BnW's post
13-09-2012, 06:48 PM
RE: The times, they are a changing......
It sounds, from what you've said that even if the downside of the risk becomes reality, you're qualified enough to get back in somewhere else, unless the WHOLE industry goes down the tubes, but that would probably hurt your multi-national conglomerate job you have now as well.

If it's not going to hurt your family and you're excited about the potential and doing new things, have fun!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
13-09-2012, 06:57 PM
Good luck! Ballsy! Hope you score big on this!

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-09-2012, 07:00 PM
I'd offer some words of encouragement, but I really don't give a shit.

Nah, just yankin your chain. It's actually really interesting when you post personal stuff. You are among the more private people I've met on here, and yet it feels like I've "known" you for a long time yet know little about you.

[Image: StarkLord01.gif]
13-09-2012, 07:00 PM
Thanks.

I should probably mention I'm shifting industries too. It's not completely removed from what I do now. It's not like I'm going from being a lawyer to being a lumberjack but it is a new industry and one that I'm going to have to learn.

And quickly.

Damn, I'm going to have to break out the vodka soon if I want to get any sleep at all tonight. I am just wired now.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
13-09-2012, 07:07 PM
(13-09-2012 06:37 PM)BnW Wrote:  Anyway, there it is, for all to read and not give a shit about.

That made me laugh Big Grin

You sound like a reliable guy and that youve succeded before.... so good luck and go out and succed again Thumbsup

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
13-09-2012, 07:08 PM
I want to be a park ranger when I grow up - obviously not for the money, just like the idea of it Wink

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-09-2012, 07:26 PM
(13-09-2012 06:48 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  ... you're qualified enough to get back in somewhere else...

Unless this monolithic multinational corporate behemoth is the church and BnW is joining Atheists International Inc.

Not so easy to get his old job back then, eh, Erx?

13-09-2012, 07:53 PM
Au contrare, mon ami. Can you imagine the scratch I'd make if I said I reconverted?

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
13-09-2012, 07:58 PM
(13-09-2012 06:37 PM)BnW Wrote:  So, after almost 20 years in the same industry, and 10 with the same monolithic multinational corporate behemoth, I've decided to take a job with a small private company (owned by a dreaded Private Equity firm - THE HORROR!) that is under 200 people. I haven't exactly accepted the job yet, mostly because they haven't formally offered it, but they called me today to say they would like to make me an offer and just want to make sure we can reach an agreement before they go through the hassle. They outlined the basics of what they are offering and I told them I needed a few days to think it through, crunch the numbers, and talk it over with my wife.

Usually when you leave a job for a new job, you go for bigger money. That is not going to be the case here, though. I'm going for a total package that is about what I earn now, but with the upside of a lot more risk. There is also the potential of a much greater reward as I'll be getting some small amount of equity in this fledgling but hopeful enterprise. Imagine having the chance to get some stock in Microsoft when they had under 200 employees? Who wouldn't go back in time and take that deal? I have no idea if these guys will ever amount to anything that big but I am hoping. I'm pretty sure I am going to take the job too. The only thing I need to work out is the health benefits. One of my sons has a minor medical issue that requires some medication and the medication is really expensive. Even with insurance, my outlay is somewhat ridiculous but if I end up with benefits that do not cover it we are talking thousands. So, that would be a deal breaker. But, otherwise, I think I'm going to take the plunge.

There are many words and phrases you can use to describe me - charming, debonair, Adonis-like, and let us not forget TOTALLY AWESOME!, to name but a few - but "risk taker" is never going to make that list. I am the guy who has always played it safe. I've worked hard, kept my head down, and gotten ahead by being steady, reliable and willing to work my ass off. I've climbed reasonably high up the ladder that way but I'm never going to be at the top because I don't pick my head up enough to play the politics. I've also lived through at least a dozen rounds of reductions over the past 20 years and have never been laid off or unemployed. I don't think that is luck, either. So, this is really a big deal for me. Taking on this kind of risk where it can collapse and I can be out of work in the hopes of bigger rewards down the line is really just not me. I probably won't sleep for a few days over this decision.

I'm not sure why I'm posting this. I'm generally not one to put myself out there to random strangers on the internet. Maybe it's just nerves, not sure.

Anyway, there it is, for all to read and not give a shit about.

YES!!! A man after my own heart.

I have taken professional risks my whole life and it sure makes life interesting. I wouldn't have it any other way.

If you fall, dust yourself off and get on another horse. The world is full of opportunities, but only for those who are willing to take a risk.

I'll be rooting for ya. Clap

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post