The tree of knowledge of good and evil

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-04-2015, 11:11 AM
RE: The tree of knowledge of good and evil
Dose anyone know a good Neuroscientist? Or maybe a Psychologist? I feel that they would be better qualified to explain to Augustine17 why he seems to be spouting nonsense. Also he my want to talk to one about his Narcolepsy. (Zzz)

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-04-2015, 12:02 PM
I find the OP entirely unconvincing, and filled with his own preconceived notions.
24-04-2015, 12:29 PM
(21-04-2015 10:14 PM)Augustine17 Wrote:  Zzz no education is not evil but teaching methods can have a devastating effect on the brain. The problem is that the left hemisphere is overly stimulated and not the right. The goal should be to try to do both equally or at least slightly do the right more.

Can you point us to a scientific study that shows that our teaching methods 1) overly stimulate the left hemisphere of the brain and 2) that this over stimulation has "devastating" effects on the brain?

No, the example of higher rates of teen suicide in Korea and japan does not prove it, because it does not prove causality.
24-04-2015, 02:49 PM
Just scanned the OP to be honest, are we trying to use the bible as argument from authority for...well anything? As such it is useless, one doesn't refer to a fairy tale as the litmus test for reality.

One must remember if we remove the pseudepigrapha, interpolations, allegorical writings, parables, and the three F's of christianity from the bible (Fiction, Fantasy and Forgery) you do not have enough left for any meaningful consideration. Referring to the synoptic gospels is like referring to the private musings of spongebob, entertaining perhaps, but wholly irrelevant in regards to validity. Since Mark, Matthew, Luke and John didn't write those scriptures, to refer to them as "In Matthew he states blah blah blah..." No actually he didn't, what did happen was in 80-90 CE anonymous authors took the writings of mark, which was put together by other anonymous authors and modified it as they saw fit, and they then presented this pseudepigrapha as Matthew.

Kind of like referring to spiderman #29 page 14 as the reference material for the history of man....or reciting other fairy tales like my favorite Goldilocks...

Goldilocks 3:14 Thou shalt not sleep in other people beds

Now there may be a good message from the Goldilocks fairy tale, but we cant truly point to it and say, it is divine law we cant sleep in other people beds because it says so in Goldilocks 3:14...

Just a thought....

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 2 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
25-04-2015, 08:19 AM
(24-04-2015 02:49 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  Kind of like referring to spiderman #29 page 14 as the reference material for the history of man....

The proof is that Spider-man lives in NYC. We know NYC exists so therefore SPIDER-MAN! And one time when i was in NYC i meet a girl that looked like Mary Jane, she had red hair and a green sweet shirt. We didn't talk and I didn't ask her last name but I had just had a feeling she was Mary Jane Watson. Therefore SPIDER-MAN!

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 1 user Likes Commonsensei's post
25-04-2015, 10:53 AM
I think I get what the OP is saying.

The education system in America is flawed, therefore Jesus died for our sins and God hates homosexuals.

If that ain't rock solid logic, I don't know what is!
[+] 2 users Like Matt Finney's post
25-04-2015, 11:02 AM (This post was last modified: 25-04-2015 01:02 PM by Szuchow.)
(25-04-2015 10:53 AM)Matt Finney Wrote:  I think I get what the OP is saying.

The education system in America is flawed, therefore Jesus died for our sins and God hates homosexuals.

If that ain't rock solid logic, I don't know what is!

Good one. But what you say about this? Education system as a whole is flawed, therefore there are many people's who thinks that suprisingly western looking dude called Jesus died/had a rough weekend/took long to respawn so we could be saved from so called sin.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
25-04-2015, 01:01 PM
Well, the texts just happen to coincide with the idea. Roger W. Sperry, A. Einstein and others were aware of the issue. The tree of knowledge of good and evil seemed to me to be a metaphor for innocence being robbed i.e original state of mind as a baby

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9217688

The right hemisphere of the brain is dominant when one is an infant and that is taken away when the external system is biased towards the right hemisphere.

Left brain dominance incorporates enhanced based desires(animal instincts), which is what Buddha, Yehoshua(Jesus), Moses, Gandhi etc. taught against. 'Turn the other cheek' and such lower the effects of the neurosis.

Education is not a bad idea but can be dangerous if used incorrectly.

http://www.teachingenglish.org.uk/articl...d-neuroses

Not just America but other places have a flawed education system and making a mistake or failing or w.e is treated like 'sin'. People disown their kids because they do not do good enough on a test or for whatever reason and kids have committed suicide when they don't get a high enough grade in Asia. The pressure is intense for certain children.
25-04-2015, 01:06 PM
(25-04-2015 01:01 PM)Augustine17 Wrote:  Well, the texts just happen to coincide with the idea. Roger W. Sperry, A. Einstein and others were aware of the issue. The tree of knowledge of good and evil seemed to me to be a metaphor for innocence being robbed i.e original state of mind as a baby

The right hemisphere of the brain is dominant when one is an infant and that is taken away when the external system is biased towards the right hemisphere.

Um, no. Really - no. It says:
"Between 1 and 3 years of age, the blood flow shows a right hemispheric predominance, mainly due to the activity in the posterior associative area. Asymmetry shifts to the left after 3 years. The subsequent time course of changes appear to follow the emergence of functions localized initially on the right, but later on the left hemisphere (i.e. visuospatial and later language abilities). These findings support the hypothesis that, in man, the right hemisphere develops its functions earlier than the left."

Quote:Left brain dominance incorporates enhanced based desires(animal instincts), which is what Buddha, Yehoshua(Jesus), Moses, Gandhi etc. taught against. 'Turn the other cheek' and such lower the effects of the neurosis.

Education is not a bad idea but can be dangerous if used incorrectly.

http://www.teachingenglish.org.uk/articl...d-neuroses

Not just America but other places have a flawed education system and making a mistake or failing or w.e is treated like 'sin'. People disown their kids because they do not do good enough on a test or for whatever reason and kids have committed suicide when they don't get a high enough grade in Asia. The pressure is intense for certain children.

Your right/left brain argument is not supported by the facts.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-04-2015, 06:05 PM

'The development of functional brain asymmetry during childhood is confirmed by changes in cerebral blood flow measured at rest using dynamic single photon emission computed tomography.' Was the development of functional brain asymmetry. The brain was still developing. The link showed which part was first developing. Like I stated the right is dominant when one is an infant. The left hemisphere traits develop but that does not refute my theory. They do develop for a while but the stimulus should be equal in each hemisphere or more to the right when a person is being given stimulus through whatever system.

'The right hemisphere of the brain is dominant when one is an infant and that is taken away when the external system is biased towards the right hemisphere.' <--- that does not mean that the left hemisphere in the brain does not develop at all. When one is at 50/50 the right hemisphere is in control. At birth, there is a deviation towards the right. The right is developed more throughout time then the left, but if one is left with equal stimulus of both halves then the result would be a child who is competent cognitively and creatively, with the latter being more influential in any decision.Ergo, the right hemisphere of the brain is dominant at birth.

The following statement after I posted the link in my prior post did not fully address the link. The link was just posted as a means to portray info.