The trouble with skepticism....

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-08-2013, 11:49 PM
RE: The trouble with skepticism....
(13-08-2013 11:43 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  And yet, I didn't send pictures of my balls threads have seven pages of shit thus far. See ya.

Wait, how much shit is on your balls?

I AM he who is called... cat furniture.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-08-2013, 12:35 PM
(13-08-2013 11:49 PM)I Am Wrote:  
(13-08-2013 11:43 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  And yet, I didn't send pictures of my balls threads have seven pages of shit thus far. See ya.

Wait, how much shit is on your balls?

He he. None anymore, I wiped. I had a few drinks last night and found something in my craw. Don't worry, I pulled it out. Tongue

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
14-08-2013, 12:54 PM
(14-08-2013 12:35 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(13-08-2013 11:49 PM)I Am Wrote:  Wait, how much shit is on your balls?

He he. None anymore, I wiped. I had a few drinks last night and found something in my craw. Don't worry, I pulled it out. Tongue

Wow dude. As my sister says, "tmi" bro.

[Image: g-HitchensThinkSelf.gif]
14-08-2013, 12:59 PM
(14-08-2013 12:54 PM)elegant_atheist Wrote:  
(14-08-2013 12:35 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  He he. None anymore, I wiped. I had a few drinks last night and found something in my craw. Don't worry, I pulled it out. Tongue

Wow dude. As my sister says, "tmi" bro.

We're all friends here, I wouldn't want to hold out on ya. Big Grin

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
14-08-2013, 01:03 PM
(14-08-2013 12:59 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(14-08-2013 12:54 PM)elegant_atheist Wrote:  Wow dude. As my sister says, "tmi" bro.

We're all friends here, I wouldn't want to hold out on ya. Big Grin

LOL xD

[Image: g-HitchensThinkSelf.gif]
18-08-2013, 01:33 PM
Skepticism is dealing in factual matters... something is either true, false or unknown. When it comes to politics generally skepticism doesn't really apply, since politics is pure opinion... no-one can say "your political opinion is factually wrong" because there is no factual right and wrong in politics.

The reasons for your political belief may be factually right or wrong though... for example you may choose not to support a particular party because in the past they've been accused of corruption... if the allegations are true then your reasons are justified, if they are false then your reasons are not justified. That requires skeptical inquiry to ascertain the truth.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-08-2013, 01:45 PM
(18-08-2013 01:33 PM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  That requires skeptical inquiry to ascertain the truth.

That's the trouble. My skeptical inquiry is what keeps me from ascertaining a sound "truth".

Sometimes I feel that there is profound wisdom in the old adage, "ignorance is bliss".

But I'm skeptical about that too. Tongue

~ Umberto Eco
18-08-2013, 04:56 PM
(18-08-2013 01:45 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(18-08-2013 01:33 PM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  That requires skeptical inquiry to ascertain the truth.

That's the trouble. My skeptical inquiry is what keeps me from ascertaining a sound "truth".

Sometimes I feel that there is profound wisdom in the old adage, "ignorance is bliss".

Why is that the case? I'm struggling to get what you mean by that... Surely skeptical inquiry is the only way we can ascertain the truth with confidence?

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-08-2013, 05:33 PM
(18-08-2013 04:56 PM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  
(18-08-2013 01:45 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  That's the trouble. My skeptical inquiry is what keeps me from ascertaining a sound "truth".

Why is that the case? I'm struggling to get what you mean by that... Surely skeptical inquiry is the only way we can ascertain the truth with confidence?

And my answer to you would be my original post.

~ Umberto Eco
18-08-2013, 09:31 PM
When we question everything we sometimes find it is impossible to know what is best because we discover we either lack the necessary information or there are multiple choices and you can't select them all. Skepticism can make it hard to hold to specific political and moral positions. Both options may be equally valid, or equally terrible. Yes, it is acceptable to say "I don't know", but sometimes that's not an option. Sometimes we need to choose. But how do we choose when we face such dilemmas? I don't know. You can't just follow a rigid doctrine for guidance - there is no "default" - so sometimes making decisions can be incredibly frustrating. You're left on your own to make big decisions where the choices aren't clear and your information is inadequate and the impact is permanent. Sometimes you're stuck being uncomfortably uncertain. That's the trouble with skepticism.

If something can be destroyed by the truth, it might be worth destroying.

[Image: ZcC2kGl.png]
[+] 2 users Like Elesjei's post