The trouble with skepticism....

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-08-2013, 12:01 AM
RE: The trouble with skepticism....
The trouble with being a skeptic is that we learn not to trust anything ending with -ism.

Ironic... much.

But better to be ...

[Image: skeptics-skeptics-demotivational-poster-1281821749.jpg]

than ...

[Image: 1300387269_floraon_gullible_web.jpg]

[Image: quote-i-don-t-believe-in-astrology-i-m-a...-38015.jpg]

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
19-08-2013, 12:06 AM
(19-08-2013 12:01 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Ironic... much.

I don't get it......much. Tongue

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
19-08-2013, 12:41 AM
(19-08-2013 12:06 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(19-08-2013 12:01 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Ironic... much.

I don't get it......much. Tongue

Don't you?

Consider

I'm skeptical.

Cool

19-08-2013, 10:19 AM
(18-08-2013 01:45 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  That's the trouble. My skeptical inquiry is what keeps me from ascertaining a sound "truth".

That'll be because there is no such thing as a "sound truth".

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
19-08-2013, 11:33 AM
(19-08-2013 10:19 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(18-08-2013 01:45 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  That's the trouble. My skeptical inquiry is what keeps me from ascertaining a sound "truth".

That'll be because there is no such thing as a "sound truth".

Fair enough. Perhaps I should have said sound opinion.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
23-08-2013, 01:01 PM
(13-08-2013 05:55 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  So I've been a born again skeptic for a little while now, and I love it (mostly). My deconversion made a profound difference in how I view the world and the importance I place on critical thinking and seeking evidence for claims.

The problem is that since I have become more skeptical about the world, I have become more confused than ever on what is true when it comes to certain things. Politics (I hold a solid distain for politics in general), economics, certain social agendas, wars, etc....

For example, this past election cycle was the first time in my life that I became involved, and even a little excited at having and voicing my opinion about the future of the country and what needs to happen. I would read an expert's opinion piece with one view and say, wow, I really agree with those points. That makes a lot of sense. Then, the skeptic in me would seek out the opposite view, a rebuttal to see what the other side had to say. And most of the time I would say, wow, that makes a lot of sense too, and I'd tend to agree with it. I can't very well agree with both sides. But I'm not a skilled researcher, I have to rely on people who do it for a living to form my opinion. Unfortunately that means having to rely on people who are getting paid to give me the opinion they want me to have. So who do I trust?

The information age is both a blessing and a curse. All the information I could want is out there and available at my fingertips. But so is all the misinformation that I could ever imagine. I'm not a scientist, or an expert at really anything. Hell I'm not formally educated in anything. I'm too knew at this shit and before I can get any solid ground when researching most topics my head spins so hard that I just get tired and give up.

So I spend most of my time in the real world silent when conversations go on around me. I usually know enough to have an opinion, but not enough to be confident that my opinion is grounded in the truth about the matter. I'd rather leave my mouth shut than put my foot in it, people seem so sure of themselves and I'm not. Even on the forum, there are so many differing opinions from people that I feel that I should be able to trust and that have great evidence for all of the differing claims. It just gets so confusing.

Anyone else in the same boat? Any advice? Thoughts?

I am in almost the exact same boat. Consider

"Invisible pink unicorns" and "Screaming blue ants" Matt Slick
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-08-2013, 09:45 PM
Just found this quote. Instantly made me feel better. Wink

"I happen to feel that the degree of a person’s intelligence is directly reflected by the number of conflicting attitudes she can bring to bear on the same topic." Lisa Alther

~ Umberto Eco
12-09-2013, 11:36 AM (This post was last modified: 12-09-2013 02:24 PM by Dark Light.)
(13-08-2013 07:24 PM)PoolBoyG Wrote:  S[k]epticism means reserving an opinion. Little to evidence has been provided for a claim so you're reserving judgement.

No. That is not being a skeptic. A skeptic is a doubter. That's it. I would say a good skeptic is willing to reevaluate their opinions and views when evidence that would support an opposing position becomes apparent. Being a skeptic does not mean reserving an opinion. It means being willing to reverse an opinion.

(13-08-2013 07:24 PM)PoolBoyG Wrote:  Being a s[k]eptic is very easy.

No, again. Being a blind follower is easy. Just let everyone else do your thinking for you. Being a good skeptic means listening to competing ideas and determining which side is the most correct, or formulating original or personal opinions on an issue.

(13-08-2013 07:24 PM)PoolBoyG Wrote:  "This or that claim hasn't been verified to me." or "I have no information on it, so I don't know." Saying "I don't know" should never be a shameful thing to say. Making false claims should be.

Or if you have an opinion, based on past credibility of the source, "This source was true in the past, so my opinion is they might be true now. But don't hold me to it."

Yes, actually.

(13-08-2013 07:24 PM)PoolBoyG Wrote:  You're not entitled to research it, or think any more about it until evidence is provided.

WTAF?! Of course you can think about it. I dunno who these entitlements are supposed to be coming from, but I would never discourage someone to think about anything. A lack if hard data does not mean you just shouldn't think about it. This sounds like advice from the church.

(13-08-2013 07:24 PM)PoolBoyG Wrote:  However, when claims are made that hold the health and safety or life of a person or group of people, then as an ethical person you should confront those peoples and opinions and learn the evidence (or lack of) for those claims. So at the very least you can support or denounce those claims when they do pop up again.

Nothing to do with skepticism unless it he is saying throw out skepticism if lives are at stake. I would not suggest that either.

12-09-2013, 11:47 AM
(13-08-2013 08:16 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(13-08-2013 07:24 PM)PoolBoyG Wrote:  Saying "I don't know" should never be a shameful thing to say. Making false claims should be.

I have never thought it to be. I've actually received compliments from clients at work for my ability to admit that I'm not sure of an answer, and go to whatever lengths I can to find out (it helps that my coworkers are notorious blowhards). I guess where my frustration lies is when I am involved in a conversation and I hear claims that I know to be false, I don't have the confidence in my ability to produce credible enough arguments to counter them.

I guess my other frustration is that I'm in my early thirties and have spent so much of my life not giving a fuck, that now that I do, there's too much out there to absorb. It's just overwhelming to me the amount of information on any given subject that is available that it's so hard to discern what info is correct. Everything is slanted.

And there's so much that I want to know now, but my life affords me little time to do any really involved research.

In the Navy we are taught to never say 'I don't know'. Rather, if we do not know we should reply "I will find the answer". It is the mark of a good sailor. This is one 'policy' I agree with. Smile

[+] 2 users Like Dark Light's post
12-09-2013, 11:57 AM
the word skepticism i cant spell it bc i dont know what that mean

sceptic or skeptic about wat r u

u doubt anything ??? even urself??? how is that possible

only bc religion say doubt is good go seek live ur instant only dont worry got food

and if i had to stop for a second like hearing reading some means, i m disgusted about the idea of that thing

like it is clear behind some wills, i hate wills

why do u keep wanting of things instead of being useful and act to urself and of

that stand observing things to understand what to believe of

i see it disgusting