The underwhelmingness of revelation

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-04-2015, 08:41 AM
The underwhelmingness of revelation
When the god of Abraham finally reveals himself, everything he communicates is "of the day". There is nothing there that a tribesperson of the time could not have conjured up. No new knowledge about how microbes cause disease, or new details about the orbits of the heavenly bodies or the sheer magnitude of the universe. Nothing about evolution or genetics, cancers or gravity; unless I missed something.

The creator of gazillions of star systems is proving himself to us with second hand accounts of feats on the order of a burning bush and then just disappears for generations. Except for some toaster graphics. Facepalm The biggest message about our life's purpose is to worship the authority we are supposed to fear.

Now if it was the only revelation from a deity, that alone could help me to believe. There are many gods that have revealed themselves and all the evidence seems to be the same: nada.

One extra chapter in the good book, maybe called "Facts":
Verse 3:7
"And the lord said e=mc2"

That's all I needed.

don't believe everything you think
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes church_organ's post
25-04-2015, 09:38 AM
RE: The underwhelmingness of revelation
It is not suprising considering that god dont exist. On the other hand if he would actually existed it would not mean that he would try to communicate with us.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
25-04-2015, 01:13 PM
(25-04-2015 08:41 AM)church_organ Wrote:  When the god of Abraham finally reveals himself...
I told the authorities about this indecent exposure. Don't worry.

It was much smaller than you'd think.
25-04-2015, 02:04 PM
You ask much of ignorant goat herders.

As Montesquieu said "if triangles had a god it would have 3 sides." Likewise, a goat herder's god is an expert on goats.

I do not like goats. Smelly creatures.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post