The unfair fight

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-08-2013, 07:21 PM
The unfair fight
Sorry for being pessimistic but I think that on the whole the theists are gaining the upperhand in the conversion vs deconversion "war" for now. Theists have superior manpower, economical power, political power and most importantly, they control schools! SCHOOLS! When is the last time that you saw a school that teaches atheism instead of the bible?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-08-2013, 07:39 PM
RE: The unfair fight
(11-08-2013 07:21 PM)bustead Wrote:  Sorry for being pessimistic but I think that on the whole the theists are gaining the upperhand in the conversion vs deconversion "war" for now. Theists have superior manpower, economical power, political power and most importantly, they control schools! SCHOOLS! When is the last time that you saw a school that teaches atheism instead of the bible?

Public schools do not teach theism.

And atheism does not need to be taught.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Chas's post
11-08-2013, 09:29 PM
(11-08-2013 07:39 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(11-08-2013 07:21 PM)bustead Wrote:  Sorry for being pessimistic but I think that on the whole the theists are gaining the upperhand in the conversion vs deconversion "war" for now. Theists have superior manpower, economical power, political power and most importantly, they control schools! SCHOOLS! When is the last time that you saw a school that teaches atheism instead of the bible?

Public schools do not teach theism.

And atheism does not need to be taught.

It's called science. And it should be taught in all secular schools. If it's not, then the ACLU and Freedom from Religion Foundation need to be notified so some change can be made.

I think that change will come, and come slowly. You've seen the statistics: more and more people are calling themselves non-religious every year.

We just need to continue to stand up for reason and logic wherever irrationality rears it's thorn ringed head and eventually, we will win out.

That's not to say that we should back down. We should always be progressing, moving forward. But we need to do it from an ethical high ground.

We have reason and logic on our side. Reason and logic lead to truth. And eventually, everyone will see that.

Banned from ChristianChat.com for "Spreading Disbelief"
[+] 1 user Likes atheistinhiding82's post
12-08-2013, 11:50 AM

Again I call shenanigans! An atheist would not say "teach atheism" because if you were actually an atheist you would know that atheism is non-thing and a non-thing is not a thing that can be taught. There is nothing to teach. You either don't teach religion, or you do but you don't believe it. We are all born atheist, but some of us are taugh not to be.

Unless you can clarify your statment I say shenanigans...

12-08-2013, 11:58 AM
(12-08-2013 11:50 AM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  

Again I call shenanigans! An atheist would not say "teach atheism" because if you were actually an atheist you would know that atheism is non-thing and a non-thing is not a thing that can be taught. There is nothing to teach. You either don't teach religion, or you do but you don't believe it. We are all born atheist, but some of us are taugh not to be.

Okay, let me clean that up, that might have been harsh if you are newly decoverted and have not really thought about that yet, and you may have just be saying "teach atheism" to make a point about the reverse being done.

If you are serious than I take back my "shenanigan" and apologize. But I've heard Christians claim to have been atheist (Kirk Cameron comes to mind) who clearly don't know what that would really mean and use that claimed position to try to gain credibility. Saying "teach atheism" set off a red flag for me in that respect.

If you are serious then just consider what it means to say something like that and how it doesn’t actually make sense. Then probably stop using that verbiage maybe…

13-08-2013, 02:21 AM (This post was last modified: 13-08-2013 02:26 AM by bustead.)
(12-08-2013 11:58 AM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  
(12-08-2013 11:50 AM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  Again I call shenanigans! An atheist would not say "teach atheism" because if you were actually an atheist you would know that atheism is non-thing and a non-thing is not a thing that can be taught. There is nothing to teach. You either don't teach religion, or you do but you don't believe it. We are all born atheist, but some of us are taugh not to be.

Okay, let me clean that up, that might have been harsh if you are newly decoverted and have not really thought about that yet, and you may have just be saying "teach atheism" to make a point about the reverse being done.

If you are serious than I take back my "shenanigan" and apologize. But I've heard Christians claim to have been atheist (Kirk Cameron comes to mind) who clearly don't know what that would really mean and use that claimed position to try to gain credibility. Saying "teach atheism" set off a red flag for me in that respect.

If you are serious then just consider what it means to say something like that and how it doesn’t actually make sense. Then probably stop using that verbiage maybe…
i appologize for the poor wording i used. I am not an american and my english is not too good. Sorry about what i said.
13-08-2013, 05:22 AM
You don't need to be sorry. I was too quick to think it was a put on. It was the "teaching atheism" part. But I realized I might have been to quick to jump to assumptions. I'm the one who should be sorry to you. You're all right.

[+] 2 users Like Raptor Jesus's post
13-08-2013, 08:40 PM
Well, I know some public schools teach theism. When I went to highschool I remembering it teaching world religions. The big ones being Judaism, Catholicism/Christianity, Islamic, Hinduism, and I think that was it... Ir seemed like they were fair about it because they took us to different religious worship places...Pretty cool Smile
14-08-2013, 04:00 PM
I'm an anti-theist, because I don't want my brain colonized, and I don't want my future children's brains colonized, and anti theism is a positive thing because it has a target, to seek and destroy. Ok if you want to put it in a more positive way I am free spirit ,teaching people to think for themselves. the whole school system is completely corrupt and should be discarded immediately. Don't talk to me about big oil. Big education is triple the size and the unions there have real power.

So why do we have to fight? We will not unite, anti-theists because we are independent creatures, and that's one reason we lose, just like the white race loses and men's groups lose. We do not unite to fight. I am not optimistic that this can be changed, and that's why I fn hate democracy
15-08-2013, 10:10 PM
As far as school goes, I honestly don't feel like religion is involved too much in the curriculum. Sure when we learned about evolution, my biology teacher mentioned that some people do not believe in it and that it was against some students' beliefs, but she also made sure that we knew evolution had been scientifically proven. In 7th grade we learned about world religions without any emphasis being put on one religion. The teacher even tried to get us to question our own beliefs (that eventually lead to me being atheist).

Then again, every single classroom in the state of Mississippi is required to have a sign saying "In God We Trust" somewhere in the room where it can be seen or else the teacher can get in trouble. Talk about making atheist students or teachers uncomfortable. And at graduations we have a very specifically Christian prayer to open and close the ceremony. I think one day we will eventually get to a place where religion isn't in schools at all, but in the mean time, it looks like we'll have to deal with it being there in one way or another.