The universe is intelligently designed

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-04-2017, 08:30 AM
RE: The universe is intelligently designed
(27-04-2017 09:33 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Absence of a belief is a state and as such a thing.

Nope. I have a belief that dark chocolate increases the responsiveness of the "feel good" endorphins in my brain. That's a "true" and evidence-based belief.

On the other hand, there is no such thing—literally—as an "absence of a belief". If something doesn't exist, then it simply doesn't exist FFS.

Quote:We all know I cannot prove the existence of GOD for you or any else...

So at last you're admitting to the very point we atheists have been making over the myriad responses to you? You cannot prove—even to your own satisfaction—that the entity you glorify may not exist. But regardless of the consequences, and despite this doubt, you model your entire life around its demands and its moral hegemony and its judgment.

This makes no logical sense at all.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
28-04-2017, 08:32 AM
(09-04-2017 06:20 PM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote:  
(09-04-2017 06:15 PM)slipknot0129 Wrote:  God is infinitely intelligent. She can do what she wants. So she made the universe. You can tell the universe is intelligently designed from how perfect it is. We have stuff like love, sex, fiction, music, and video games. All stuff that is intelligently designed. It's all perfect, nothing is random about the universe. It all came from a designer. If the universe didn't have a designer, then everything would be random and not make sense. Because the universe has a designer, everything makes sense.

Parasites, diseases, microbes, viruses,savage predation, children dying from hunger, drought, war, and God doesn't care a bit. Whoever designed God did a poor job of it.

No shit. A simple google search of "Number of deaths worldwide per year" will give you links to the number of deaths worldwide per year. On average it is between 50 to 60 MILLION deaths from everything you can die from. Mostly old age, but everything, accidental, suicide,natural disaster, industrial disaster, disease and crime and war, babies, young to old and every age in between.

That would mean 500 million deaths every 10 years on average, and 1 billion deaths every 20 years.

If this is someone's idea of a perfect sky hero who wants to save everyone, he sucks at his job.

Especially the part where all of them claim they have this awesome manual to life but murder each other, even under the same umbrella labels.

I wouldn't hire such a selective deadbeat to run a bicycle factory. The bikes would end up with squid for spokes and the workers would murder each other over their different assembly manuals.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post
28-04-2017, 08:50 AM
* begins to take a walk through the woods, stepping over fallen logs, listening to the birds chirp and taking a moment to refill his canteen at a clear rocky stream.

There in the stream, something catches his eye in the water. It's a pocket watch.

He had seen pictures of one in the old library but had never held one before. Opening it, there was a clear glass cover that showed all the internal moving gears. He was fascinated. This watch was clearly different from everything else around him. It was obviously designed, unlike everything else which was naturally made.

I know most of you recognize this kind of intelligent design story.

It's at this point in the story that a clear distinction is made between that which has been designed and that which occurs naturally.

The watch itself is completely composed of all natural elements and or compounds. It's the way in which those elements are arranged that the man draws a distinction between design and nature.

Nature is seen as natural and not designed.
The complexity in nature arose on its own.
It's not designed.

The man wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the watch and nature if everything around him was designed.

It would be the same as walking through a forest and someone asking you which tree had been designed when they all look natural, feel natural, with no discernible distinction between them.

The watch represents design, but everything else represents that which hasn't been designed.

We call that nature.
We make that distinction.

Trying to use this story to make a case for some divine intelligent designer is at a basic level simply not very intelligent.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
28-04-2017, 09:15 AM (This post was last modified: 28-04-2017 09:29 AM by adey67.)
(28-04-2017 07:41 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(28-04-2017 06:00 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  So if I had belief in Pink Unicorn God it would ?

YOU asked the question. What makes sense to YOU is irrelevant.

We all know YOU believe in an evil (non-perfect) god, who got pissed and demanded his own son die, so he could feel better, and who told the Israelites to kill disobedient children and wipe out innocent infants.
You have no clue about what I actually know. Stop assuming things and being a dick just for kicks. If you want to go around making blanket statements about people and things you really no nothing about then that's fine, just don't pretend to want intellectual conversation.

Sent from my Alcatel_6055U using Tapatalk

If you argued honestly acknowledged points, did not twist words and statements did not try to divert and deflect none of this would probably have happened. The fact you have to resort to such tactics only frustrates people and rather proves that your arguments are weak.
If as I suspect that religion or belief helped you deal with something less than good in your life this is absolutely not the right place for you to be, sounds like somewhere more affirming and less combative with likeminded people around you would be a much better idea than dropping in on atheist home turf to stir the shit stick, unless it is the sort of chaos you are subliminally looking for and if that's so then complaining about your reception is rather pointless.

It has been proven without a shadow of doubt using logic and your own cherished holy book that god is not perfect, the truth is you have absolutely nowhere to go you are backed into a corner and defeated and it is both annoying and pitiful that you stick your fingers in your ears and go "la la la" Drinking Beverage
[+] 3 users Like adey67's post
28-04-2017, 09:18 AM
Pops wins the T/A petard hoisting championship for a fourth year in a round.
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
28-04-2017, 09:33 AM
(28-04-2017 09:18 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  Pops wins the T/A petard hoisting championship for a fourth year in a round.

"Never in the field of human debate has so much dissonance and denial been shown to so many by so few"
28-04-2017, 10:34 AM
(28-04-2017 07:37 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  We all know I cannot prove he existence of GOD for you or any else. But if any still want to claim IT isn't perfect then support it with actual scriptural references since you(whoever) are supposedly basing your claims on the scholastic/ historic perspective/ interpretations of the Bible.

There may be some confusion here because people may be assuming you are a xian and not a cult of one. You claim that something exists that you call a god and admit you can't demonstrate the truth of that claim in any way. Why the fuck do you think anybody should care about the apparent rantings of a madman?

Quote:By the way; if man as a whole had rightly understood the inspired word of GOD then many historical things would have been different. By historical I mean within the last 1500 years.

You really are a special snowflake, aren't you?

Quote:Regardless, I would gladly discuss this supposed imperfection of GOD based on the partial perspective of man, with references, so I can at least see what you are deriving your argument from.

No discussion on that topic can be had until you can define the attributes of your god and show that they are real. Without that you are just pissing in the wind.

(28-04-2017 07:41 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  If you want to go around making blanket statements about people and things you really no nothing about then that's fine, just don't pretend to want intellectual conversation.

Nobody here expects intellectual conversation with you. You need help. Get some.

(28-04-2017 07:55 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Just because I had thoughts of violence in the past, to the point that they nearly consumed me; in reality, I never acted them out, regardless of level of justification.

You never acted them out?
(11-10-2016 05:08 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  When I returned home with her and my son I realized she had been doing some really messed up things while I was gone. I was so worried for the upbringing of my son that I justified killing her and going to prison, because I thought my son would be better off. I chased her for about a half an hour, methodically. She couldn't leave because I had her car keys. For those minutes I did intent to take her life with my hands.

Bolding mine. That is not normal and that you don't think you need counseling is terrifying.

Quote:It really is a shame that you would attempt to act like I am dangerous.

I believe you are potentially dangerous.

Quote:What is more sad is that the go to fix for internal problems seems to be "medicate/ distract/ nullify those internal things that are indicators of need for change.

I do not know if you need medications; that's why I keep saying you need to seek qualified treatment.

(28-04-2017 08:01 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  You can attempt to defame me all you want.

The reality is that I have never hurt anyone but in defence or retaliation, and that hasn't happened in over fifteen years. To put it into perspective; I've only had faith for 6 years.

So assume what you want. Things past are past, and thoughts were not actions, though even the thought are nowhere near what they once were.

As FBH noted, "in retaliation" is not justification. The situation you described before wasn't self-defense. You stated that you justified killing somebody and then set out to do just that. You may think have it under control but your threats here, while impotent, make me really doubt that's the case.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 5 users Like unfogged's post
28-04-2017, 10:46 AM
(28-04-2017 09:33 AM)adey67 Wrote:  
(28-04-2017 09:18 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  Pops wins the T/A petard hoisting championship for a fourth year in a round.

"Never in the field of human debate has so much dissonance and denial been shown to so many by so few"
Hopefully they'll keep getting fewer. Lecture_preist
28-04-2017, 10:50 AM
And the moral of this story is don't share significant shit on an open internet forum and then expect it not to come back and bite your ass when you act an ass.
28-04-2017, 11:08 AM
(28-04-2017 08:50 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  The man wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the watch and nature if everything around him was designed.

Exactly. According to the intelligent design idea, everything is designed. To actually prove that, you would have to show that material self-organization is impossible. That's a tall order considering scientists already know how self-organization occurs in biology, stellar evolution, chemistry and so on.
[+] 3 users Like Thoreauvian's post