The vacation that went sideways... thankfully :)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-07-2017, 04:46 AM
The vacation that went sideways... thankfully :)
So... it's 6am.
I was awake all night...YouTube , Netflix, TTA... etc...

Last day, last morning...

I don't think I've ever had a vacation for myself...ever... even the vacations we've had have been more like work...planning, booking, making sure the kids were having fun...just doing the general parenting shit...

This will be the best vacation I remember, not cause I did great exciting things or travelled...but because I did what I wanted, when I wanted too...

But that's not how this vacation started...

My wife & I booked the same days off about a year ago cause her aunt in Michigan was selling her house and needed help moving out, she's getting older and was moving to an apartment. The sale went faster then expected so her aunt ended up having to hire help. So we didn't have to go to Michigan, I was not sad...

So my wife thought about where we could go & talked to the kids...and long story, short it turned out that nobody really wanted to go anywhere!

So for what I think maybe the first time in my ADULT life I did only what I wanted. Had naps, woke up, ate something, had another nap. I took care of the garden, I ate 2 bowls of spinach salad from it this week! Big Grin ...and the pickles are the best this year... the constant rain has pretty much stunted the growth of everything except my lettuce, spinach & pickles.

My wife and I cleaned the WHOLE house (even the icky corners that nobody wants to do, but seems almost fun when you're working together) ...it sounds like work but when you're doing it but together at your own pace...it's nothing really. Painted the bathroom that has been needing it for a long time...painting a "white wall" with new white paint and you realize how not white it was...

Went out 3 or 4 times and ate at our favourite restaurants!

...and I slept...first 3 days I woke up at 5:30am like I have for probably the last 30 years of my life...yesterday I slept 'til 9!

I didn't sleep last night!

I'm going to put on a pot of coffee!

Big Grin

Any vacations that you've had that didn't go as planned but ended up better for it?

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like unsapien's post
16-07-2017, 05:37 AM
RE: The vacation that went sideways... thankfully :)
(16-07-2017 04:46 AM)unsapien Wrote:  So... it's 6am.
I was awake all night...YouTube , Netflix, TTA... etc...

Last day, last morning...

I don't think I've ever had a vacation for myself...ever... even the vacations we've had have been more like work...planning, booking, making sure the kids were having fun...just doing the general parenting shit...

This will be the best vacation I remember, not cause I did great exciting things or travelled...but because I did what I wanted, when I wanted too...

But that's not how this vacation started...

My wife & I booked the same days off about a year ago cause her aunt in Michigan was selling her house and needed help moving out, she's getting older and was moving to an apartment. The sale went faster then expected so her aunt ended up having to hire help. So we didn't have to go to Michigan, I was not sad...

So my wife thought about where we could go & talked to the kids...and long story, short it turned out that nobody really wanted to go anywhere!

So for what I think maybe the first time in my ADULT life I did only what I wanted. Had naps, woke up, ate something, had another nap. I took care of the garden, I ate 2 bowls of spinach salad from it this week! Big Grin ...and the pickles are the best this year... the constant rain has pretty much stunted the growth of everything except my lettuce, spinach & pickles.

My wife and I cleaned the WHOLE house (even the icky corners that nobody wants to do, but seems almost fun when you're working together) ...it sounds like work but when you're doing it but together at your own pace...it's nothing really. Painted the bathroom that has been needing it for a long time...painting a "white wall" with new white paint and you realize how not white it was...

Went out 3 or 4 times and ate at our favourite restaurants!

...and I slept...first 3 days I woke up at 5:30am like I have for probably the last 30 years of my life...yesterday I slept 'til 9!

I didn't sleep last night!

I'm going to put on a pot of coffee!

Big Grin

Any vacations that you've had that didn't go as planned but ended up better for it?

The best part about having some time off from work is not having to set the alarm...the second best part is sleeping past the regular alarm time and not waking in a panic. Big Grin

Naps taken to prepare for the next nap are great. Thumbsup

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
16-07-2017, 09:30 AM
Now you know why you need to plan for your retirement - with any luck, it will all be a vacation.

I'm not one for sleeping in - I am for watching the sunrise with a nice cup of coffee in my hand...but I am all for naps.

There are always projects, and I pick which I want to do that day, or not. I haven't been bored and I have been retired for 5 years now.

It's a good life, but you do have to plan your finances, downsize the house because no one needs to spend hours and hours cleaning space that is never used. Plan for it, because with any luck you'll be spending decades in retirement.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
16-07-2017, 10:18 AM
(16-07-2017 09:30 AM)Dom Wrote:  Now you know why you need to plan for your retirement - with any luck, it will all be a vacation.

It's a good life, but you do have to plan your finances, downsize the house because no one needs to spend hours and hours cleaning space that is never used. Plan for it, because with any luck you'll be spending decades in retirement.

Other thing I need to work on before I retire is losing weight and exercising, because I already have aches & pains right now, what am I going to look like 20 years from now? I need to still be able to do things.

But for now I'm just hoping everybody wants to do the same thing next year...

Really not looking forward to what my desks going to look like on Monday though Sadcryface2

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard