The weight of the Ten Commandments

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-05-2014, 12:24 PM
The weight of the Ten Commandments
I came across a fun website, The Church of Truth, which writes about something I'd never thought about. The actual weight of the ten commandments that Moses would have had to lug down Mount Sinai. It's estimated to be around 500 lbs.

http://thechurchoftruth.wordpress.com/95-2/

The reality of having to cart around the Torah written in Cuneiform out in the desert would be a huge problem. (Yeah, yeah, I know, the magic man in the clouds made it the weight of a feather or something crap like that.) But with all that writing on stone and clay you'd think somewhere, someplace one fragment would have been found.

If anyone knows more about Cuneiform and how writing took place please chime in.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-05-2014, 12:43 PM
RE: The weight of the Ten Commandments
(30-05-2014 12:24 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I came across a fun website, The Church of Truth, which writes about something I'd never thought about. The actual weight of the ten commandments that Moses would have had to lug down Mount Sinai. It's estimated to be around 500 lbs.

The reality of having to cart around the Torah written in Cuneiform out in the desert would be a huge problem. (Yeah, yeah, I know, the magic man in the clouds made it the weight of a feather or something crap like that.) But with all that writing on stone and clay you'd think somewhere, someplace one fragment would have been found.

If anyone knows more about Cuneiform and how writing took place please chime in.

Interesting thought experiment but I don't know if it's very relevant. There wasn't a lot of information written on those stone tablets, so its conceivable they could have been very small and very thin.

Also the Torah was written in a hebrew script on scrolls, not in Cuneiform on clay tablets as the Assyrians did it (at least I don't know of any ancient hebrew manuscripts or biblical passages written in that language).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_...w_alphabet

Also, all surviving hebrew texts, to my knowledge at least, where written on parchment, papyrus, or animal skins. These materials go back far enough that it is possible that middle bronze age peoples could have used them; animal skins in particular.

It is interesting to note though, that the earliest surviving documents from judaism and related myths are only from about the 2nd century BCE. The earliest historical mentioning of the ancient hebrew texts are not much older than that, maybe 300 BCE. If you really want to poke holes in the bible as an authentic, divine text, archeology is probably the east and most readily available source/discipline to use.

Reverant made a great post in another thread, linking some videos on the subject

(20-05-2014 05:19 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  

Hey the first 5 books are fiction guess that fucks up the entire thing huh.

Hmm no exodus either. Whoops

Hmm seems shaky. No David means no house of David means no liniage to your super zombie.

Eek!

So you see all you worship is just 1 cultures mythology repackaged.
30-05-2014, 01:24 PM
(30-05-2014 12:43 PM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  
(30-05-2014 12:24 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I came across a fun website, The Church of Truth, which writes about something I'd never thought about. The actual weight of the ten commandments that Moses would have had to lug down Mount Sinai. It's estimated to be around 500 lbs.

Interesting thought experiment but I don't know if it's very relevant. There wasn't a lot of information written on those stone tablets, so its conceivable they could have been very small and very thin.

Also the Torah was written in a hebrew script on scrolls, not in Cuneiform on clay tablets as the Assyrians did it (at least I don't know of any ancient hebrew manuscripts or biblical passages written in that language).

Also, all surviving hebrew texts, to my knowledge at least, where written on parchment, papyrus, or animal skins. These materials go back far enough that it is possible that middle bronze age peoples could have used them; animal skins in particular.

It is interesting to note though, that the earliest surviving documents from judaism and related myths are only from about the 2nd century BCE. The earliest historical mentioning of the ancient hebrew texts are not much older than that, maybe 300 BCE. If you really want to poke holes in the bible as an authentic, divine text, archeology is probably the east and most readily available source/discipline to use.

Reverant made a great post in another thread, linking some videos on the subject

(20-05-2014 05:19 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  

Hey the first 5 books are fiction guess that fucks up the entire thing huh.

Hmm no exodus either. Whoops

Hmm seems shaky. No David means no house of David means no liniage to your super zombie.

Eek!

So you see all you worship is just 1 cultures mythology repackaged.

My understanding is that when Moses was supposed to have lived (?) writing was done on either clay tablets or on stone and not on papyrus Therefore the Torah which was supposed to have been given to Moses by god included Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy. That's a lot of writing on stone and/or clay to lug around. There are writings on clay and stone that predate biblical times that have survived but it's kinda curious that nothing survived from the Torah.

This is a tablet written from the time of Moses.

[Image: cuneiform-tablet-ramses-ii-peace-treaty.jpg]

Clay and stone tablets are pretty durable but I guess Moses and his crowd didn't treat the "written word of god" too well. Must have fallen off the wagons when no one was looking.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
30-05-2014, 09:03 PM
Dude must have been ripped by the time he was done. Maybe they can make a new Christian exercise program out of it.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
30-05-2014, 09:17 PM
The thing I really want to know after reading this thread, is what is the correct past tense of "to lug". That is all.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
30-05-2014, 10:49 PM
(30-05-2014 09:17 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  The thing I really want to know after reading this thread, is what is the correct past tense of "to lug". That is all.

"lugged".

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 2 users Like Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
30-05-2014, 10:53 PM
(30-05-2014 01:24 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(30-05-2014 12:43 PM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  Interesting thought experiment but I don't know if it's very relevant. There wasn't a lot of information written on those stone tablets, so its conceivable they could have been very small and very thin.

My understanding is that when Moses was supposed to have lived (?) writing was done on either clay tablets or on stone and not on papyrus Therefore the Torah which was supposed to have been given to Moses by god included Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy. That's a lot of writing on stone and/or clay to lug around. There are writings on clay and stone that predate biblical times that have survived but it's kinda curious that nothing survived from the Torah.

This is a tablet written from the time of Moses.

[Image: cuneiform-tablet-ramses-ii-peace-treaty.jpg]

Clay and stone tablets are pretty durable but I guess Moses and his crowd didn't treat the "written word of god" too well. Must have fallen off the wagons when no one was looking.

Moses, if he did live, would have been from the 7th century BCE. The bible doesn't claim moses came down out of the mountain with the torah, only the commandments. I don't think the bible says where the other books came from.
[+] 1 user Likes Michael_Tadlock's post
31-05-2014, 08:31 AM
Arguably 2 Chronicles covers the origin of significant parts of the Torah [1]. This "discovery" may either have been a genuine rediscovery of lost manuscripts, or a convenient explanation for the new books of law being released.

[1] http://biblehub.com/2_chronicles/34-14.htm

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
02-06-2014, 04:31 AM

So what you are saying is, Moses probably looked like this? Consider

[Image: Screen-shot-2013-02-21-at-3.01.39-PM.png]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
02-06-2014, 10:56 AM
Quote:Moses, if he did live, would have been from the 7th century BCE.

Egypt in the 7th century was a vassal state of the Assyrian empire. Kind of blows the grandeur of the myth out of the water, doesn't it?

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!