The "what if I'm wrong" feeling

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-09-2013, 10:16 AM
RE: The "what if I'm wrong" feeling
Raptor, I posted this thread a little while ago. I'm right there with you.

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...skepticism

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-09-2013, 05:20 PM
(11-09-2013 06:13 AM)Philosoraptor Wrote:  
(11-09-2013 06:03 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  In my religious studies as a prophet I have uncovered the following:

love is void
tao is the essence of motion (and Holy Spirit)
faith is moral certainty

tao is unity that requires the manufacture of essential dualities. "What if I am wrong" is a construction requiring the hidden element of right. Ya know what's right? Protons. If they decay, it has to be longer than the age of the universe. Thumbsup

Doesn't help. Thing that omnitheists fail to understand - there are always dualities. Trying to make right in a temporal universe makes wrong. It's called inertia.

I found some sense in your post, but overall I failed to understand it. Sorry. Blush

That is the healthy reaction to an HoC post, have no fear. Thumbsup

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Tartarus Sauce's post
12-09-2013, 08:25 PM
You have been thinking in a religious way for so long that the thoughts wore grooves into your brain. Tongue

Your thoughts flow that way merely out of habit.

The more you expose yourself to thoughts that are not contaminated by your indoctrination, the less thoughts will try to flow along the worn grooves.

Watching atheists talk on youtube can accelerate the process... as can reading some of the better atheist books... as can just hanging around here for a while. Or get a book on evolution... or the universe...

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 5 users Like Dom's post
12-09-2013, 10:01 PM
(12-09-2013 08:25 PM)Dom Wrote:  You have been thinking in a religious way for so long that the thoughts wore grooves into your brain. Tongue

Your thoughts flow that way merely out of habit.

The more you expose yourself to thoughts that are not contaminated by your indoctrination, the less thoughts will try to flow along the worn grooves.

Watching atheists talk on youtube can accelerate the process... as can reading some of the better atheist books... as can just hanging around here for a while. Or get a book on evolution... or the universe...

You know that reminds me of a meme that's true both ways. My mom always reinforced GIGO. Garbage in, garbage out. Your mind will process and regurgitate whatever input it is given regularly. Mom used it to reinforce a strict devotion to the faith.

I would encourage anyone who came to apostasy from faith to keep it up. Once a skeptical mind is born, there is no better way to reaffirm your worldview than to constantly look at and study where you came from and reassess what you believe.

I know there will come a day when I won't need to, until then I remain skeptical.

And atheist.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
21-09-2013, 11:20 AM
I first deconverted in around 2006, but the whole process of intellectual manipulation scared me a great deal because, while I considered myself a relatively clear thinker, I had been fooled for a long time. About 3 months ago I got a new passion for learning, and realized that the rules of logic were the tool that I needed to enhance my bullshit detector. I was actually never taught critical thinking skills or rules of logic. I downloaded a nice description of the logical fallacies, and started to apply them to, well, everything. Suddenly I felt like I had what was necessary to think clearly. It's amazing how many assumptions lurk under the surface of christian theology that when exposed to logic, become ridiculous.
[+] 1 user Likes cbenham's post
21-09-2013, 11:46 AM
I remember when I got interested in critical thinking, the uni had a bunch of old copies of skeptic magazine from way back lying around. I used to skive off to the journal library and hide in there reading 'em stead of bein' useful.

You should try something like that. They give you confidence to understand how these religious kooky mind tricks work on you.
26-09-2013, 03:51 PM
Hey, there. I'm an INFP. Not that you asked, but...

When I struggle with that feeling of "What if I'm wrong?" what helps is for me to consider other religions, other paths to "salvation" and my fears more or less melt away because even if I were still a Christian, I could still have been wrong, you know? I could've been believing in the wrong god the whole time. Works like a charm for me every time.

About not being sure when you're right anymore. I feel you. It's something I'm dealing with now. Mapping out my own morality, my own definitions of right and wrong. I'm finding that there are lots of different "right" ways. The hard part is figuring out which is mine.

By the way, I love your username. Too cool. Cool

26-09-2013, 04:04 PM
Taking a crack at what HoC said totally unmedicated. Thumbsup

Quote:In my religious studies as a prophet I have uncovered the following:

love is void
tao is the essence of motion (and Holy Spirit)
faith is moral certainty

Yup, got that

Quote:tao is unity that requires the manufacture of essential dualities. "What if I am wrong" is a construction requiring the hidden element of right. Ya know what's right? Protons. If they decay, it has to be longer than the age of the universe. Thumbsup

Well yeah, the way things are, we have to have dualities, otherwise, *PHOMPH!*. The protons reference almost seems like you're going out on a limb, but you're pretty much on the ball when it comes to the subject matter you're tackling. Nice olive branch, but I'm pretty sure it's out of the grasp of most. xD

Quote:Doesn't help. Thing that omnitheists fail to understand - there are always dualities. Trying to make right in a temporal universe makes wrong. It's called inertia.

Whoa whoa whoa! = Inertia. I'm cool with that. Yes

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
26-09-2013, 05:14 PM
I admire speed with which you found a secular group to interact with. A matter of days?! Wow! Bowing It took me years after leaving religious faith to even consider talking about it. I see freeing yourself of faith-based living as a process of varying length, depending of how long and how deeply involved you were. I may be wrong, but those doubts you mentioned even while still attending church are a part of that process. I doubted the veracity of the things my pastors and mentors said even when I was in grade school, but was compelled by my parents to attend church. When I walked away from belief in god it was initially unsettling, to say the least--sort of like staring into a great abyss--but I knew I had no choice because of the cognitive disconnect I experienced as a thinking, rational person when considering the utter rubbish I had been taught.
After several years of free thought, I see the banality of nonsense and so will you with some distance. I concur with the other posts here thus far. Stay free and don't let the bastards wear you down...
Cool
26-09-2013, 06:04 PM
(26-09-2013 04:04 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  
Quote:It's called inertia.

Whoa whoa whoa! = Inertia. I'm cool with that. Yes

Well... Blush

Not exactly, but it works for illustrative purposes, kinda.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]