The wondering SeaMan

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-04-2017, 05:15 PM
RE: The wondering SeaMan
(09-04-2017 03:03 PM)KUSA Wrote:  
(08-04-2017 11:16 PM)Counselor16 Wrote:  I'm sitting in my office that happens to be in the water some where. And for the...hell I lost count. Well once again 2155 (9:55pm) has come upon me and that familiar voice pipes on the intercom, "Stand by for the evening prayer".

I assume that you are in the USN. If so, you are fucked because they aren't going to stop it. Not anytime soon as they are very traditional.

Yes I am. And that's how I feel about it. I sit and wonder how to go about raising my concern over this issue. I know that some other branches of military have taken steps to reduce things like this. I also would like to reach out and request that they start doing a free thinking service once a week where people can go and talk about things like are discussed on here. I don't think its right that every Sunday I have coworkers that get to take hours of the day in worship service while I continue to work.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-04-2017, 05:16 PM
(09-04-2017 03:30 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(09-04-2017 03:03 PM)KUSA Wrote:  I assume that you are in the USN. If so, you are fucked because they aren't going to stop it. Not anytime soon as they are very traditional.

I served in the US Navy and never experienced a prayer unless I voluntarily went to a religious service. Which I didn't go to.

I have a buddy on another ship who said the same thing. He said he has never experienced this. This is the second ship I have been on that dose this.
09-04-2017, 05:26 PM
The wondering SeaMan
(09-04-2017 05:15 PM)Counselor16 Wrote:  
(09-04-2017 03:03 PM)KUSA Wrote:  I assume that you are in the USN. If so, you are fucked because they aren't going to stop it. Not anytime soon as they are very traditional.

Yes I am. And that's how I feel about it. I sit and wonder how to go about raising my concern over this issue. I know that some other branches of military have taken steps to reduce things like this. I also would like to reach out and request that they start doing a free thinking service once a week where people can go and talk about things like are discussed on here. I don't think its right that every Sunday I have coworkers that get to take hours of the day in worship service while I continue to work.

I wouldn't fight this battle out at sea. There is nowhere for you to hide if you make an enemy with the wrong person. I suggest you put your fingers in your ears for now. Seriously, it's tough enough just being on a 6 month cruise. Don't make things harder than they already are.

Many people have fought this and it still persists. I encourage you to write letters and such but don't bring attention to yourself while you are haze gray and underway.
[+] 1 user Likes KUSA's post
09-04-2017, 05:31 PM
I guess it boils down to how much a christ-puncher the skipper is. In my time aboard 3 different ships, I did not experience this.
09-04-2017, 05:52 PM
The wondering SeaMan
(09-04-2017 05:16 PM)Counselor16 Wrote:  
(09-04-2017 03:30 PM)Fireball Wrote:  I served in the US Navy and never experienced a prayer unless I voluntarily went to a religious service. Which I didn't go to.

I have a buddy on another ship who said the same thing. He said he has never experienced this. This is the second ship I have been on that dose this.

It depends on the Skipper.
09-04-2017, 07:50 PM (This post was last modified: 09-04-2017 07:53 PM by Fireball.)
My eldest son is in the US Air Force. He'd seen that shit when he was at tech school and some commands, but not over the PA. There will be some E-5 or above who will go into the break areas after hours and call for people to go to some buybull study. My son has been atheist since high school. He made sure that he wasn't in the wrong place at the wrong time, so didn't get roped into that stupidity. Once he was done with tech school, he lived off base with his wife (married before joining), so also evaded it that way. He's overseas now, and while he lives on base, it's in housing, not a barracks.

ETA- no religious preference should be getting pushed out by Command. As has been mentioned, keep your head down, but you may be able to get some sort of anonymous communication further up the command structure based on religious discrimination grounds- there may be sailors of different religions on your ship who are probably feeling the same way, but for different reasons. None of you should be having this problem.
09-04-2017, 09:32 PM
(09-04-2017 07:50 PM)Fireball Wrote:  My eldest son is in the US Air Force. He'd seen that shit when he was at tech school and some commands, but not over the PA. There will be some E-5 or above who will go into the break areas after hours and call for people to go to some buybull study. My son has been atheist since high school. He made sure that he wasn't in the wrong place at the wrong time, so didn't get roped into that stupidity. Once he was done with tech school, he lived off base with his wife (married before joining), so also evaded it that way. He's overseas now, and while he lives on base, it's in housing, not a barracks.

ETA- no religious preference should be getting pushed out by Command. As has been mentioned, keep your head down, but you may be able to get some sort of anonymous communication further up the command structure based on religious discrimination grounds- there may be sailors of different religions on your ship who are probably feeling the same way, but for different reasons. None of you should be having this problem.

Thank you for sharing. I am looking in to anonymous was to push my concerns because I do feel people of other religions probably do feel the same. Also I really like the BuyBull Study line.
[+] 1 user Likes Counselor16's post
10-04-2017, 06:07 AM
Maybe contact Military Association of Atheists and Freethinkers or Military Religious Freedom Foundation

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
10-04-2017, 07:10 AM
I just realized the OP's username reminds me of the punchline to the joke: why do they call camels the ships of the desert?

On account of what they are full of, apparently.

“Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.”

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle