The word Atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-02-2014, 07:12 AM
The word Atheist
Personally I'm not a fan of the word and I'm not a fan of describing myself as one.

There's no term for someone who doesn't believe in fairies, witches, dragons, Santa or any other mythical figures. By using the term atheist we are seperating a deity from all other mythical beings and giving it special status by giving that particular non belief a special name.

Id prefer some sort of blanket term that covers disbelief in all myths and the supernatural. At least that way we ain't giving god a special status by having a special separate word for people who don't believe in him.

That's my 2c anyway
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like TheStraightener's post
16-02-2014, 07:18 AM
RE: The word Atheist
True, I dont call myself an atheist aswell.

When people ask me if I am religious I always simply reply no but never give a term that is precise on what my thoughts on religion and these matters are.

I guess I feel comfortable with the term "non-believer". Especialy because it use to be a criminal term in an era when not being of a certain religion was a crime.

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
16-02-2014, 07:19 AM (This post was last modified: 16-02-2014 07:36 AM by Tartarus Sauce.)
(16-02-2014 07:12 AM)TheStraightener Wrote:  Id prefer some sort of blanket term that covers disbelief in all myths and the supernatural.

Skeptic Drinking Beverage

Also, the most stock people seem to be putting into the term are people in countries where their atheism is a clear demarcation from a good percentage of their fellow countrymen, where fundamentalist religion has a significant influence in the sociopolitical arena. I doubt Europeans in general would put the same sort of stock in the term as an atheist living in the bible belt of the US, or even more extreme of an example would be an atheist living in Saudi Arabia.

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Tartarus Sauce's post
16-02-2014, 07:21 AM
I prefer to say that I am an anti-dogmatist. I don't only refuse the idea of dogmas, I am seriously against them. And being anti-dogmatist includes being against all religions and also against extreme political and historical views. How about that?

Fun "paradox": The higher the selection pressure, the slower evolution takes place.
16-02-2014, 07:23 AM
Spoken like a True Atheist Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post
16-02-2014, 07:23 AM
I agree, but what word would cover all of that ?

I remember Dan Dennett came up with the term "Bright", and that didnt catch on either. Consider

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
16-02-2014, 07:24 AM
(16-02-2014 07:23 AM)War Horse Wrote:  I agree, but what word would cover all of that ?

I remember Dan Dennett came up with the term "Bright", and that didnt catch on either. Consider

Refer to my post. Drinking Beverage

[Image: giphy.gif]
16-02-2014, 07:31 AM
(16-02-2014 07:24 AM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  
(16-02-2014 07:23 AM)War Horse Wrote:  I agree, but what word would cover all of that ?

Refer to my post. Drinking Beverage

I saw that after I got done typing. Blush

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
16-02-2014, 07:55 AM
I'm a skeptic, atheism seems to be an inevitable symptom of it.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
[+] 3 users Like sporehux's post
16-02-2014, 07:56 AM
(16-02-2014 07:12 AM)TheStraightener Wrote:  Personally I'm not a fan of the word and I'm not a fan of describing myself as one.

There's no term for someone who doesn't believe in fairies, witches, dragons, Santa or any other mythical figures. By using the term atheist we are seperating a deity from all other mythical beings and giving it special status by giving that particular non belief a special name.

Id prefer some sort of blanket term that covers disbelief in all myths and the supernatural. At least that way we ain't giving god a special status by having a special separate word for people who don't believe in him.

That's my 2c anyway
I feel ya buddy.. living in theistic family it really hard to openly disclose oneself as an atheist and not start family a dispute.

The problem here is that the believers think that its perfectly NORMAL to believe in supernatural&magick stuff which has no rational basis at all and they think that people who do not believe in their stuff are ignorant and "Weird" that's why the word "atheist" has such a stigma attached to it when all it means is that someone who doesn't believe in all the utter garbage.

Dreams/Hallucinations/delusions are not evidence
Wishful thinking is not evidence
Disproved statements&Illogical conclusions are not evidence
Logical fallacies&Unsubstantiated claims are not evidence
Vague prophecies is not evidence
Data that requires a certain belief is not evidence