The word Atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-02-2014, 08:04 AM
RE: The word Atheist
Skeptic, rationalist, non-believer, irreligious... All perfectly good words to describe yourself.

Isaac Asimov wasn't a fan of the word either... Since it only described what he didn't believe rather than what he did. So he always preferred to be called a skeptic or Humanist.

There is of course "Bright"... Which quite frankly makes me want to puke.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-02-2014, 11:10 AM
(16-02-2014 08:04 AM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  Skeptic, rationalist, non-believer, irreligious... All perfectly good words to describe yourself.

Isaac Asimov wasn't a fan of the word either... Since it only described what he didn't believe rather than what he did. So he always preferred to be called a skeptic or Humanist.

There is of course "Bright"... Which quite frankly makes me want to puke.
I've heard "bright" come up before, who's responsible for that elitist crap ? Makes me cringe.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
Find all posts by this user
16-02-2014, 11:14 AM
(16-02-2014 07:21 AM)Youkay Wrote:  I prefer to say that I am an anti-dogmatist. I don't only refuse the idea of dogmas, I am seriously against them. And being anti-dogmatist includes being against all religions and also against extreme political and historical views. How about that?

I've just looked up the word 'dogmatist':

dog·ma·tist
[dawg-muh-tist, dog-] Show IPA

noun
1. a person who asserts his or her opinions in an unduly positive or arrogant manner; a dogmatic person. [Eg the late great Christopher Hitchens???]

2. a person who lays down dogmas

Trouble with being dogmatically anti-dogmatist is the centre/middle ground may not be so liberal .... so personally can I be undogmatically anti-dogma ... most of the time?????

Moodie x
16-02-2014, 11:14 AM
I'm a *Mind-your-own-fucking-business-ist*. Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
16-02-2014, 11:21 AM
(16-02-2014 07:12 AM)TheStraightener Wrote:  Personally I'm not a fan of the word and I'm not a fan of describing myself as one.

There's no term for someone who doesn't believe in fairies, witches, dragons, Santa or any other mythical figures. By using the term atheist we are seperating a deity from all other mythical beings and giving it special status by giving that particular non belief a special name.

a few things.

1. Atheist (or atheism) does not need to be capitalized if it is not the first word of the sentence (referring to the title of this thread).

2. Theism is so rampant that using the term atheist to describe ones views on theism is appropriate. If theism was rare then it might be another story.

3. By saying you dislike the word, the only thoughts that come to my head are you disliking how others view atheists. There is nothing shameful or dislikable about the term atheist itself. It means nothing more than "not theist". What is there to dislike about a word that accurately describes your position?

4. Atheism does not address other supernatural/magic claims that are not deity based. Atheism also does not have anything to do with science. People often incorrectly define atheists as science minded individuals that do not believe in magical claims. This is far from the truth. Atheism addresses the claim(s) of theism, and that is ALL. For all the other crap you don't believe in, find a different word to describe that. It's not like you can only attribute one word to yourself.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
16-02-2014, 11:42 AM
(16-02-2014 11:14 AM)Moodie Wrote:  
(16-02-2014 07:21 AM)Youkay Wrote:  I prefer to say that I am an anti-dogmatist. I don't only refuse the idea of dogmas, I am seriously against them. And being anti-dogmatist includes being against all religions and also against extreme political and historical views. How about that?

I've just looked up the word 'dogmatist':

dog·ma·tist
[dawg-muh-tist, dog-] Show IPA

noun
1. a person who asserts his or her opinions in an unduly positive or arrogant manner; a dogmatic person. [Eg the late great Christopher Hitchens???]

2. a person who lays down dogmas

Trouble with being dogmatically anti-dogmatist is the centre/middle ground may not be so liberal .... so personally can I be undogmatically anti-dogma ... most of the time?????

Moodie x

Thanks for elaborately missing the point.

Definition says "UNDULY positive and arrogant manner". Even though Hitchens was very positive and arrogant in the way he presented his points, his positivity was always based on facts and knowledge. Therefore it was not unduly, and he was not a dogmatist.

And it is not dogmatic to be against dogmas, because there is a good and sensible reason to it. Again, the important word is UNDULY.

But to give you credit, anti-dogmatist does not really mean to be against dogmas. It rather means to be against dogmatists. So do you have any constructive suggestions? xxx

Fun "paradox": The higher the selection pressure, the slower evolution takes place.
16-02-2014, 11:47 AM
I simply say "I am too smart to believe what you believe".
16-02-2014, 11:53 AM
(16-02-2014 07:12 AM)TheStraightener Wrote:  Personally I'm not a fan of the word and I'm not a fan of describing myself as one.

There's no term for someone who doesn't believe in fairies, witches, dragons, Santa or any other mythical figures. By using the term atheist we are seperating a deity from all other mythical beings and giving it special status by giving that particular non belief a special name.

Id prefer some sort of blanket term that covers disbelief in all myths and the supernatural. At least that way we ain't giving god a special status by having a special separate word for people who don't believe in him.

That's my 2c anyway

That would be an Objectivist.Smile

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
16-02-2014, 12:05 PM
Not necessarily. Objectivist means something very specific. While it is true all objectivists are atheists not all atheists are objectivists.
16-02-2014, 12:26 PM
(16-02-2014 12:05 PM)natachan Wrote:  Not necessarily. Objectivist means something very specific. While it is true all objectivists are atheists not all atheists are objectivists.

I know. It was meant to be a lighthearted comment. Hence the smiley.Smile

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick