The word Atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-02-2014, 12:51 PM
RE: The word Atheist
(16-02-2014 11:10 AM)sporehux Wrote:  
(16-02-2014 08:04 AM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  Skeptic, rationalist, non-believer, irreligious... All perfectly good words to describe yourself.

Isaac Asimov wasn't a fan of the word either... Since it only described what he didn't believe rather than what he did. So he always preferred to be called a skeptic or Humanist.

There is of course "Bright"... Which quite frankly makes me want to puke.
I've heard "bright" come up before, who's responsible for that elitist crap ? Makes me cringe.

I'm not sure who's idea it was, but Richard Dawkins and Daniel Dennett are in favor of it becoming widely used to mean atheist citing the push to make "gay" the accepted word for homosexuals... Whereas previously used terms were more often than not derogatory.

I know Christopher Hitchens hated the bright movement too.

The word atheist works fine for me, but I'm comfortable with "skeptic", "humanist" or "free thinker" too.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-02-2014, 01:00 PM
(16-02-2014 07:23 AM)War Horse Wrote:  ...
I remember Dan Dennett came up with the term "Bright",

He didn't originate it. He joined that very small club after noting that the gay movement had successfully appropriated 'Gay' as an in-yer-face term.

Right idea, wrong word.

I've been using 'Abolitionist' this year and it's so far had the impact that I wanted.

Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
16-02-2014, 01:06 PM
I like humanist or secular humanist for an overall description. I'm fine with "atheist" when speaking about issues of gods and religion, but "humanist" give a more positive message of a the overall naturalistic viewpoint of human existence with the absence of supernatural activities.
16-02-2014, 01:12 PM
I always find it so laughable how religious people laugh at the supernatural stuff in other religions, saying "That's ridiculous!", yet at the same time believing that all the ridiculous, superstitious crap from THEIR religion makes perfect sense! Of course, the reason they believe the superstitious garbage of their own religion while laughing at others is because the attitude toward their own religion is "Well, that's what I was brought up to believe in and what I was brought up to believe in could NEVER be wrong!" They would never say it out loud though, because it's certainly not something they would want to admit to their own self.

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
16-02-2014, 01:16 PM
I have no problem with Atheist.
16-02-2014, 01:36 PM
Doofus: "What religion are you?"
Girly: "I'm areligious."
Doofus: "Yeah but a religious what?"
Girly: "No no I'm areligious."
Doofus: "Yeah you said that but a religious what?"
Girly: "Oh for fuck's sake. I'm an atheist."
Doofus: "Ah, I see. ... Have you read this book?"

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post
16-02-2014, 03:58 PM
(16-02-2014 11:21 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(16-02-2014 07:12 AM)TheStraightener Wrote:  Personally I'm not a fan of the word and I'm not a fan of describing myself as one.

There's no term for someone who doesn't believe in fairies, witches, dragons, Santa or any other mythical figures. By using the term atheist we are seperating a deity from all other mythical beings and giving it special status by giving that particular non belief a special name.

a few things.

1. Atheist (or atheism) does not need to be capitalized if it is not the first word of the sentence (referring to the title of this thread).

2. Theism is so rampant that using the term atheist to describe ones views on theism is appropriate. If theism was rare then it might be another story.

3. By saying you dislike the word, the only thoughts that come to my head are you disliking how others view atheists. There is nothing shameful or dislikable about the term atheist itself. It means nothing more than "not theist". What is there to dislike about a word that accurately describes your position?

4. Atheism does not address other supernatural/magic claims that are not deity based. Atheism also does not have anything to do with science. People often incorrectly define atheists as science minded individuals that do not believe in magical claims. This is far from the truth. Atheism addresses the claim(s) of theism, and that is ALL. For all the other crap you don't believe in, find a different word to describe that. It's not like you can only attribute one word to yourself.

I just don't like why one mythical figure is given special treatment over another. And people who use that word are giving some sort of status to something that deserves no more than any other bullshit
16-02-2014, 05:36 PM
Jimmy Joe Bob - "Do you believe in God" ?

Me - "I'm an anti-delusionist. We're not allowed to believe in things that don't exist"

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
16-02-2014, 05:49 PM
(16-02-2014 11:14 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I'm a *Mind-your-own-fucking-business-ist*. Tongue

This

So many cats, so few good recipes.
16-02-2014, 07:41 PM
(16-02-2014 11:21 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(16-02-2014 07:12 AM)TheStraightener Wrote:  Personally I'm not a fan of the word and I'm not a fan of describing myself as one.

There's no term for someone who doesn't believe in fairies, witches, dragons, Santa or any other mythical figures. By using the term atheist we are seperating a deity from all other mythical beings and giving it special status by giving that particular non belief a special name.

a few things.

1. Atheist (or atheism) does not need to be capitalized if it is not the first word of the sentence (referring to the title of this thread).

2. Theism is so rampant that using the term atheist to describe ones views on theism is appropriate. If theism was rare then it might be another story.

3. By saying you dislike the word, the only thoughts that come to my head are you disliking how others view atheists. There is nothing shameful or dislikable about the term atheist itself. It means nothing more than "not theist". What is there to dislike about a word that accurately describes your position?

4. Atheism does not address other supernatural/magic claims that are not deity based. Atheism also does not have anything to do with science. People often incorrectly define atheists as science minded individuals that do not believe in magical claims. This is far from the truth. Atheism addresses the claim(s) of theism, and that is ALL. For all the other crap you don't believe in, find a different word to describe that. It's not like you can only attribute one word to yourself.

I hate the stereotype listed in number 4.
It's used the most by religious people.
Even thought I do support science, I just hate stereotypes.

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
[+] 1 user Likes Alex_Leonardo's post