The word Atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-02-2014, 01:22 PM (This post was last modified: 17-02-2014 02:30 PM by GirlyMan.)
RE: The word Atheist
(17-02-2014 10:04 AM)Alex_Leonardo Wrote:  
(16-02-2014 08:19 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  We should have a flag.

I would like it if the Metis gave up their flag to us.
[Image: flag_metis.jpg]

I like this one better. Tongue

[Image: euler2-1.jpg], ... suck on that for a while bitches. Tongue

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-02-2014, 08:59 PM
Re: RE: The word Atheist
(16-02-2014 01:06 PM)meremortal Wrote:  I like humanist or secular humanist for an overall description. I'm fine with "atheist" when speaking about issues of gods and religion, but "humanist" give a more positive message of a the overall naturalistic viewpoint of human existence with the absence of supernatural activities.

The only things I have against humanist or skeptic is that those are movements/groups already full of people who are religious in various ways. It doesn't necessarily stand out as the same connotation atheist does.

But just now reading this post. Made me wonder why I've never seen people try to simply go by Secular.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
17-02-2014, 10:17 PM
(17-02-2014 01:22 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(17-02-2014 10:04 AM)Alex_Leonardo Wrote:  I would like it if the Metis gave up their flag to us.
[Image: flag_metis.jpg]

I like this one better. Tongue

[Image: euler2-1.jpg], ... suck on that for a while bitches. Tongue

I'd say a visual representation works better than just the numerals, but the purest visual I found turns out to look a lot like something representing a different group entirely...

[Image: Complex_exp.jpg]

... this is my signature!
17-02-2014, 10:27 PM
Metaphysical naturalist.Smartass

I don't have a problem with the term atheist, but I like "non-theist" better.
17-02-2014, 11:18 PM (This post was last modified: 17-02-2014 11:26 PM by toadaly.)
(16-02-2014 07:18 AM)The Germans are coming Wrote:  True, I dont call myself an atheist aswell.

...so, you're an aatheist? ...or is that a theist with a drinking problem?

edit: is an aswell anything like an ashole?

Softly, softly, catchee monkey.
17-02-2014, 11:23 PM
(16-02-2014 07:12 AM)TheStraightener Wrote:  Personally I'm not a fan of the word and I'm not a fan of describing myself as one.

There's no term for someone who doesn't believe in fairies, witches, dragons, Santa or any other mythical figures. By using the term atheist we are seperating a deity from all other mythical beings and giving it special status by giving that particular non belief a special name.

Id prefer some sort of blanket term that covers disbelief in all myths and the supernatural. At least that way we ain't giving god a special status by having a special separate word for people who don't believe in him.

That's my 2c anyway

I think 'naturalist' might be what you're looking for. But unfortunately, people may think you're referring to being an expert in natural history, so you might try "philosophical naturalist" instead.

Softly, softly, catchee monkey.
18-02-2014, 12:54 PM
(16-02-2014 07:12 AM)TheStraightener Wrote:  Personally I'm not a fan of the word and I'm not a fan of describing myself as one.

There's no term for someone who doesn't believe in fairies, witches, dragons, Santa or any other mythical figures. By using the term atheist we are seperating a deity from all other mythical beings and giving it special status by giving that particular non belief a special name.

Id prefer some sort of blanket term that covers disbelief in all myths and the supernatural. At least that way we ain't giving god a special status by having a special separate word for people who don't believe in him.

That's my 2c anyway
Realist

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
18-02-2014, 01:46 PM
(18-02-2014 12:54 PM)Impulse Wrote:  Realist

Ha , I used that just today talking with our Hospice social worker to have them cool the "spiritual guidance" crap. Thumbsup

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
[+] 1 user Likes War Horse's post