The word - "Nigger"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-07-2016, 03:45 PM
RE: The word - "Nigger"
(04-07-2016 10:58 PM)Foxen Wrote:  There is a right to free speech, but even it has its repercussions.

Censorship is both ineffective and counterproductive.

Censorship is counterproductive because banning a word means that you can no longer easily discuss the problem that that word represents. You've simply put up a roadblock to finding a solution to the problem that underlies the word.

You can ban an entire topic but that simply drives it underground, leaving it to fester and breed closet fascists. I prefer my fascists and bigots out in the open where I can see what they stand for and why I disagree with them. Then we can all point and laugh and call them horrifying things.

Censorship is ineffective because anybody with even a room temperature IQ can be more insulting using nothing more than everyday language. We all learned "fuck" and it's four-letter relatives in grade school and they haven't become significantly more impressive since then.

For example, I can call Fred Phelps a fucking asshole. You likely agree, but let's be honest, that was a pretty lame insult.

On the other hand, if I were to suggest that Fred Phelps should be on a watchlist because he's the sort of person who has to sneak up on his own hand, him and his by-the-minute mother. Well, there's nothing in there that you can easily censor.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Paleophyte's post
05-07-2016, 04:02 PM
(05-07-2016 02:00 PM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  I have no desire to use it. I'm of Irish ancestry. My Irish relatives and friends and I will refer to each other as "Micks" every now and then, just to bust each other's balls a bit. But if someone called me that to intentionally hurt my feelings or incite me to some kind of violence I would laugh at them. Slurs have no power over me.

Slurs unfortunately will always have power. It is what caused the deaths o 6 million Jews, it is what caused slavery, and is what caused Bush to lead to Trump. Our failure as a species is to see us as just that, the same species.

Of course a black person can call another "nigger" just like a Hispanic can call another Hispanic a "beaner" or "wetback" just like a Jew can get away with calling another Jew "Heeb". Just like an atheist can get away with calling another atheist a "heathen".

Comfort is always local, and demonizing the "other" unfortunately happens, it is our failure as a species to see ourselves as the same species.

I would rather suffer getting offended, than to remain silent when an individual goes beyond merely offending.

If we as a species are to foster better peace, the key isn't banning anything that might offend us, the key is to know, that bitching does not have to lead to death.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-07-2016, 04:20 PM
The problem with crackers like me using the word "nigger" is largely down to history.

Originally the term was only a vaguely pergorative reference to somebody's race. Much like "cracker" is today. The sort of term that is more of an insult to the person using it than its intended target.

Then some truly gruesome people got ahold of the word and started using it in such memorable phrases as "dirty nigger, "no niggers allowed", and "nigger lynching". This changed the underlying conotations of the word and was met by an understandably strong and horrified reaction from those being targetted. Any white person using the term was effectively self-identifying as one of the worst racist scum imaginable. As children we were told by shocked and horrified parents that they 'never want to hear that word come out of your mouth!' and thus the new and more horrific meaning of the word became entrenched. It's shorthand for, "Hi, I'm a racist bastard."

In more recent years, attempts by the black community to own the term, in much the same way that the LGBTQ community now owns "queer", has led to a world of confusion. The result is that black people can now use it to refer to each other in a very laid back manner and, very rarely, may use it as high praise when referring to a white person. By contrast, white people don't use it amongst themselves unless they belong to the Klan and only use it in reference to black people after careful deliberations with their black friends.

I blame the human race.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post
05-07-2016, 05:06 PM
The word - "Nigger"
(05-07-2016 12:54 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  I don't see why white people can't use it. I mean hispanics use it, they aren't black. Hell I say nigger a lot as well, and I find it strange how I can get away with it just because of my skin color.

I can see why Asian people shouldn't use it.
https://youtu.be/-19ioGniZ88
05-07-2016, 05:07 PM

#sigh
05-07-2016, 07:40 PM
The word - "Nigger"
(05-07-2016 05:07 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

It's a catchy tune.
05-07-2016, 07:44 PM
The word - "Nigger"
Try this one.
https://youtu.be/hqIsc8ooXug
05-07-2016, 07:49 PM
The word - "Nigger"
This white kid just doesn't know what to say.
https://youtu.be/AsFCSvqsqFA
05-07-2016, 08:09 PM
(05-07-2016 10:30 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Censorship is never the right response to anything. Bad ideas fail on their own and trying to suppress them just gives them longer staying power. Saying the N-word as opposed to Nigger gives the word far too much power, it is so powerful we can't even say it. Had it not gone down that route it would probably be nearly gone from the lexicon. If your ideas are so weak they cannot overcome obviously bad ideas of racism and bigotry maybe instead of running to an authority figure you should look to see why your ideas are so weak.

I posted this in Foxens butthurt I'm taking my ball and going home thread but the points are germane to this thread.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 7 users Like Revenant77x's post
05-07-2016, 08:43 PM
I only use that word when telling racist jokes.