The word - "Nigger"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-07-2016, 08:58 PM
RE: The word - "Nigger"
As pointed out, blacks use the word "nigger" all the time. In the black community, it is used as a term of endearment "Hey, my nigger", and is also as a slur or pejorative, "That nigger fucked up my shit". Some people in this thread suggest that the term is one which should be forgotten altogether. Does that include within the black community?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes TheBear's post
05-07-2016, 09:43 PM (This post was last modified: 05-07-2016 09:49 PM by Banjo.)
(04-07-2016 10:50 PM)Foxen Wrote:  Oh, I shall contribute.

A forum that allows for the blatant disregard of another individual to the extent that the individual feels disrespected due to the language used has no right to call itself open-minded on any subject except bigotry.

Individual?

Too whom do you refer Sir?

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
05-07-2016, 09:47 PM
(04-07-2016 10:50 PM)Foxen Wrote:  Oh, I shall contribute.

A forum that allows for the blatant disregard of another individual to the extent that the individual feels disrespected due to the language used has no right to call itself open-minded on any subject except bigotry.

If every word that might offend someone was banned here there would be a whole lot of nothing on the forum. When you filter out everything you are left with nothing.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
05-07-2016, 10:37 PM
I have only rarely used any of the offensive words mentioned here, and never in anger. All but one of the times I encountered "kike" were on television. The first time was on Law and Order. I have never called anyone a cunt. I may have used that once experimentally, in some dirty talk with a girlfriend. I'm over it.

The first time I heard a racial slur used as hate speech I was about 4 or 5. My parents were members of a Buddhist temple which the Klan decided to protest. Most of the monks were Vietnamese and had little English. They called my parents to find out what the angry people wanted. My brother and I were too young to be left at home alone, so we went along with my parents to the Temple, where a small crowd of Klansmen and a few women stood across the street. I did what I always did there, played near the Quan Yin fountain in front and checked to see if the mulberries were in season. One of the women in the group approached and asked me why a beautiful white boy would want to be with those... and then the word. The same word some of the men were yelling from across the street. I didn't know what to say of course. I was a toddler who was suddenly confronted by the Ku Klux Klan.

My dad told me to go inside. When press showed up, he was an intermediary for the monks. He gave good English phrasing to what the Temple residents said. He asked for his name to be omitted from the paper because he was afraid of losing his job as a church organist. I think the papers complied, but a TV camera got him and he was on the evening news. He lost his job.

The word they yelled was "gook." I actually had trouble typing that. That word is terrible to me, even though no one would apply it to me. That word means I am in danger and adults are afraid. It means people want to hurt my friends.

Incidentally, that was also the first time I saw someone wearing a military uniform and the first time I saw police in action. Many of the Klansmen wore fatigues, and the cops stood on their side of the street. For me, uniforms, racism, and fear are intimately connected in a formative experience.

So, I think I have a little taste of what "nigger" means when used as a weapon against brown and black people. Just a little. If you take the anger and fear I have tied up with "gook," and add a not-too-distant formal, legal structure of oppression and dehumanization, and behind that literally being bought and sold as livestock, I think that begins to show what "nigger" means when used as a slur.

It's not my word. I will not use it except in meta-syntactic contexts like this thread. I am glad that the targets of that word are disarming it for themselves, but for me it is still a loaded weapon I do not want to wield.

But all that said, I do think it can be used in self-aware and culturally relevant media. Just like explosions on screen are fun but explosions in a theater are horrific, I think that having fun with verbal weapons in film or music is fine. As an example:

[+] 10 users Like I Am's post
06-07-2016, 01:15 AM
(05-07-2016 08:09 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(05-07-2016 10:30 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Censorship is never the right response to anything. Bad ideas fail on their own and trying to suppress them just gives them longer staying power. Saying the N-word as opposed to Nigger gives the word far too much power, it is so powerful we can't even say it. Had it not gone down that route it would probably be nearly gone from the lexicon. If your ideas are so weak they cannot overcome obviously bad ideas of racism and bigotry maybe instead of running to an authority figure you should look to see why your ideas are so weak.

I posted this in Foxens butthurt I'm taking my ball and going home thread but the points are germane to this thread.

Great post. Censorship only dims the room, when everyone knows cockroaches are afraid of light. Let them say it, and identify themselves as an enemy of equality.

Let them "defend" their vews, in the light of opposing views, in the light of reason.

Let them say it, and face the music.
[+] 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
06-07-2016, 01:35 AM

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 7 users Like Banjo's post
06-07-2016, 02:50 AM (This post was last modified: 06-07-2016 02:56 AM by Thumpalumpacus.)
FYI, I will always "like" a Carlin clip.

But that one's spot-on. Spot-fucking-on. As are so many of his observations.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
06-07-2016, 03:06 AM
Carlin delivers as a comedian but I always viewed him as more of a political/social commentator then a comedian, and yup, he was almost always spot on.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
[+] 2 users Like Slowminded's post
06-07-2016, 07:44 AM
(05-07-2016 10:37 PM)I Am Wrote:  I have only rarely used any of the offensive words mentioned here, and never in anger. All but one of the times I encountered "kike" were on television. The first time was on Law and Order. I have never called anyone a cunt. I may have used that once experimentally, in some dirty talk with a girlfriend. I'm over it.

The first time I heard a racial slur used as hate speech I was about 4 or 5. My parents were members of a Buddhist temple which the Klan decided to protest. Most of the monks were Vietnamese and had little English. They called my parents to find out what the angry people wanted. My brother and I were too young to be left at home alone, so we went along with my parents to the Temple, where a small crowd of Klansmen and a few women stood across the street. I did what I always did there, played near the Quan Yin fountain in front and checked to see if the mulberries were in season. One of the women in the group approached and asked me why a beautiful white boy would want to be with those... and then the word. The same word some of the men were yelling from across the street. I didn't know what to say of course. I was a toddler who was suddenly confronted by the Ku Klux Klan.

My dad told me to go inside. When press showed up, he was an intermediary for the monks. He gave good English phrasing to what the Temple residents said. He asked for his name to be omitted from the paper because he was afraid of losing his job as a church organist. I think the papers complied, but a TV camera got him and he was on the evening news. He lost his job.

The word they yelled was "gook." I actually had trouble typing that. That word is terrible to me, even though no one would apply it to me. That word means I am in danger and adults are afraid. It means people want to hurt my friends.

Incidentally, that was also the first time I saw someone wearing a military uniform and the first time I saw police in action. Many of the Klansmen wore fatigues, and the cops stood on their side of the street. For me, uniforms, racism, and fear are intimately connected in a formative experience.

So, I think I have a little taste of what "nigger" means when used as a weapon against brown and black people. Just a little. If you take the anger and fear I have tied up with "gook," and add a not-too-distant formal, legal structure of oppression and dehumanization, and behind that literally being bought and sold as livestock, I think that begins to show what "nigger" means when used as a slur.

It's not my word. I will not use it except in meta-syntactic contexts like this thread. I am glad that the targets of that word are disarming it for themselves, but for me it is still a loaded weapon I do not want to wield.

But all that said, I do think it can be used in self-aware and culturally relevant media. Just like explosions on screen are fun but explosions in a theater are horrific, I think that having fun with verbal weapons in film or music is fine. As an example:

How horrible some people are. How poor their lives must be filled with such hate for everyone. But this does raise an interesting parallel. When was the last time you heard anyone not wearing a white sheet say the word "Gook" non-ironically? Not counting movies set in the time period of the Vietnam war I have never heard anyone but a Klansman or other white supremacist say that word. The reason is only ignorant racist inbreds use that word and if you are not an ignorant racist inbred you know better.

So most people (IRI's not included) just dropped that word from the lexicon. It did not become the G-word (which sounds like an early 2000's Will Smith album tbh) it just faded away. Most people know of the word but have never and will never say it.

Bear earlier asked those of us who want to see the word just fade away if we meant it for the Black community as well and the answer to that is it's up to them. If they want to treat that word like the LGBT community has treated "Queer" that is up to them. This was a verbal gun (to paraphrase Iam's wonderful description) pointed at them for 200 years if they wish to remove the firing pin and render it harmless by appropriating it then I don't feel it is anyone else's business.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 3 users Like Revenant77x's post
06-07-2016, 07:51 AM
(05-07-2016 08:58 PM)TheBear Wrote:  As pointed out, blacks use the word "nigger" all the time. In the black community, it is used as a term of endearment "Hey, my nigger", and is also as a slur or pejorative, "That nigger fucked up my shit". Some people in this thread suggest that the term is one which should be forgotten altogether. Does that include within the black community?

The decision to use or retire the word is entirely up to the black community. The white community has clearly tried to do their part in retiring it, but it would appear that the black community has chosen to keep it. Personally I don’t buy into this business where some people can use it while other people can’t. It’s a racist position and if you’re asking people to kindly please be less racist toward your people, then you shouldn’t try to ban certain words from certain races’ mouths

(05-07-2016 03:21 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  
(04-07-2016 11:32 PM)Aliza Wrote:  We didn't like the word, so we encouraged people to stop using it. -And then we didn't combine that effort with it being okay that we still use it for shits and giggles because we were somehow exempt. To be effective, everyone has to stop using it.
Before long, the word ceases to be a part of the language anymore.
Unfortunately, that doesn't solve much. The problem isn't the word, it's the sentiment that it expresses. If you remove the word but leave the underlying problem to fester then little good will come of it.
For example, most of us pasty-skinned folks have stopped referring to those with a naturally superior, year-round base tan as niggers but that hasn't stopped us from treating them like second-class citizens. We've simply become more circumspect in our bigotry.

The first step is to remove the word that people find so offensive. There’s a very bad association with this one particular word, and many people have grown up hearing from their parents and grandparents that this word is the worst of the worst. I think the use of this word can hold people back because they may feel inferior or second class when categorized like this.

Yes, new words will take the place of the old words, but new words will not have the sting of the old word. And this replacement of vocabulary should be combined with the community’s collective effort to dispel racist stereotypes. The best way to squash other people’s racism against you is to become their physician, their lawyer, or their accountant. Maybe cure a horrible disease or figure out how to get clean water to areas affected by drought. No one is going to be looking down their noses at you then.
[+] 3 users Like Aliza's post