The word - "Nigger"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-07-2016, 12:11 AM
RE: Nigger
Foxy, amigo, chill out. Free speech is actually a rather beautiful concept. The forum admins have always been very hands-off when it comes to this kind of thing and I appreciate it a lot. It means that instead of having classes of speech which are verboten you yourself must find an answer. Being protected by the big bad admin means that you are not confident that you can answer IMO.

To answer OP... Black people can use the word because it's not understood in perjorative sense when said by them. If you're white, you can't. There's history behind that - if you use the word, are you going to use it to mean "Hey my nigger, my homie, let's hang out" or are you going to mean it as "these stupid niggers"? If it's in the second sense then don't cry when people dislike you for it. If it's in the first sense, then boo hoo, there's a word you can't use to refer to your black friends 'cos it'll be understood as an insult. So what?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-07-2016, 12:17 AM
(05-07-2016 12:11 AM)morondog Wrote:  Foxy, amigo, chill out. Free speech is actually a rather beautiful concept. The forum admins have always been very hands-off when it comes to this kind of thing and I appreciate it a lot. It means that instead of having classes of speech which are verboten you yourself must find an answer. Being protected by the big bad admin means that you are not confident that you can answer IMO.

Exactly, it's more genuine.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
05-07-2016, 01:13 AM
(04-07-2016 10:23 PM)TheBear Wrote:  So, why is "nigger" the one word white people need to avoid, even when citing something that someone else said?

[...]

Understandable that all these terms are derogatory and insulting, why is "nigger" the only word in the universe which is completely off the table for whites to utter in our culture?

It isn't, in the right context. If you're using it as a slur, sure, bite you tongue.

If you're discussing its social or historical context, it seems acceptable. I haven't had my ass kicked yet going by that divide.
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
05-07-2016, 02:25 AM
My Nigerian girlfriend asked me what that word meant. I explained that it was a bad word. A word of insult. She gave me a look of bewilderment. Later, when I was in Namibia and briefly, in South Africa, I heard the term "Kaffir". This carries about the same weight. It is also very derogatory.
[+] 2 users Like Captain Congo's post
05-07-2016, 03:16 AM
(04-07-2016 10:58 PM)Foxen Wrote:  There is a right to free speech, but even it has its repercussions.

A forum has rules. If a forum allows for me to be called any name whatsoever, then I do not respect that forum for being anything except quite unintelligent.

Am I to just sit by and allowed to be ridiculed so that someone else can have free speech? That is bullying at its very core. That is not acceptable. Not in any way, shape, or form.

If you think it is okay to just spout anything, then you should ban me right now. Goodness knows I cannot personally remove my own account. Please, remove me from the idiocy of this forum.

Oh, c`mon, demanding the right not to be offended is quite silly, so is claiming that you are bullied by words on a forum.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
[+] 4 users Like Slowminded's post
05-07-2016, 03:52 AM
(05-07-2016 03:16 AM)Slowminded Wrote:  
(04-07-2016 10:58 PM)Foxen Wrote:  There is a right to free speech, but even it has its repercussions.

A forum has rules. If a forum allows for me to be called any name whatsoever, then I do not respect that forum for being anything except quite unintelligent.

Am I to just sit by and allowed to be ridiculed so that someone else can have free speech? That is bullying at its very core. That is not acceptable. Not in any way, shape, or form.

If you think it is okay to just spout anything, then you should ban me right now. Goodness knows I cannot personally remove my own account. Please, remove me from the idiocy of this forum.

Oh, c`mon, demanding the right not to be offended is quite silly, so is claiming that you are bullied by words on a forum.

I am a social and economic liberal. I hate Trump and the GOP, they have been anti minority forever. It is true you can find democrats that are bigoted, but on average depending on red states vs blue states democrats are far more for pluralism than the middle and south by comparison.

Having said that as much empathy the left has sometimes they over correct with their intent. There is a huge difference between discussing a real issue that needs to be discussed, bullying and bigotry.

Having been bullied as a kid, I can tell you that merely getting offended is not the same as being bullied. "Bullied" is when you cant leave a situation. But if you are on a page you don't own and are not required by job or law to be on, then the worst you can say is that you are offended.

And we also should not be confusing use of a word as part of a historical context, anymore than "Juden" is used in documentaries and the Holocaust museum. Nor should we ban comedians like Richard Prior or shows like South Park.

We all should fight bigotry, and especially demagoguery in politics, like Trump scapegoating Mexicans and Vets and Muslims, and just as scary scapegoating Judges and the press. That has no place in politics. You can argue Trump's legality, but my argument against that sick fuck is a moral one stemming from the fact it is immoral for a politician to behave like him.

But the only thing I part company with the left is when they insist on censorship as a blanket solution. The problem with that is that power shifts over long periods of time and you cant determine what a future majority might think and considering when you are a minority, the worst thing you should do is put a loaded gun of censorship into a potential power that may not agree with what you have to say.

The limit to speech are calls to violence and act of violence. Merely getting offended isn't enough. If all of us got to silence others because we don't like what they have to say, all 7 billion of us could think of things we'd rather not hear.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post
05-07-2016, 04:36 AM
It's an interesting idea but refusing to actually say the word 'nigger' by calling it the n-word makes sure that it continues to be offensive.

Take the word queer for example. That used to be extremely offensive but gays reclaimed the word and now it has lost its power. That wouldn't have happened had it always been referred to as the Q-word by straight people.

I can fully understand how a white person calling someone a nigger is truly offensive because of the historical context in which it was used, especially in America with its relatively recently history of segregation. But referring to any offensive term as the ?-word or typing it out with asterisks in the middle is completely silly as far as I am concerned. If I refer to the C-word then you immediately think of the word Cunt. Or Fuck for the F-word, Shit for Sh*t etc.

It also completely misses the point. It's not the word itself that's offensive, it's the context that the word is used that can be offensive. You can be completely offensive without using any swear words at all. For example:

"Get back into the kitchen you stupid woman, you probably only got your driving license by flirting with the instructor."

But how many people were offended by me using the words Fuck, Cunt, Shit and Nigger in this very post?
[+] 10 users Like Mathilda's post
05-07-2016, 04:49 AM
(05-07-2016 04:36 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  It's an interesting idea but refusing to actually say the word 'nigger' by calling it the n-word makes sure that it continues to be offensive.

Take the word queer for example. That used to be extremely offensive but gays reclaimed the word and now it has lost its power. That wouldn't have happened had it always been referred to as the Q-word by straight people.

I can fully understand how a white person calling someone a nigger is truly offensive because of the historical context in which it was used, especially in America with its relatively recently history of segregation. But referring to any offensive term as the ?-word or typing it out with asterisks in the middle is completely silly as far as I am concerned. If I refer to the C-word then you immediately think of the word Cunt. Or Fuck for the F-word, Shit for Sh*t etc.

It also completely misses the point. It's not the word itself that's offensive, it's the context that the word is used that can be offensive. You can be completely offensive without using any swear words at all. For example:

"Get back into the kitchen you stupid woman, you probably only got your driving license by flirting with the instructor."

But how many people were offended by me using the words Fuck, Cunt, Shit and Nigger in this very post?

I'm offended not knowing getting a drivers license was that easy.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
05-07-2016, 04:59 AM
(05-07-2016 04:49 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(05-07-2016 04:36 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  It's an interesting idea but refusing to actually say the word 'nigger' by calling it the n-word makes sure that it continues to be offensive.

I'm offended not knowing getting a drivers license was that easy.

its actually even easier than that. all you need is a face so they can take your picture.
[+] 1 user Likes Dark Wanderer's post
05-07-2016, 05:14 AM
I don't find the word nigger any more offensive than any other word used to try to inflict injury on another person.

I suppose it's useful -- if you're trying to escalate to physical violence.....

Which in itself a moronic idea.

But - the people that would use it are probably stupid enough to think that physical violence is a good thing............

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post