The word - "Nigger"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-07-2016, 07:04 AM
RE: Nigger
(05-07-2016 06:58 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  
(05-07-2016 06:15 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  It's only whites who tell other whites to use the term "N word" in place of nigger when citing someone. Black people don't care. There's too many white people offended on black people's behalf.

I remember when I was in the military I had told someone referring to me as a dot head, would be the equivalent of referring to a black person as a nigger, my white sergeant was so offended by me using the word nigger, he asked some of the fellow black service men to report me, and they just laughed at him.

No, that depends on the individual black person. To claim no blacks ever get offended by a white person saying "nigger" is bullshit. I have had plenty of interaction in my life with blacks as co workers and friends to know you cant make blanket statements like that.

I had a job for 7 years with a mixed kitchen and while blacks use the word themselves at my friends and co workers said at best I could use "nigga", which never did.

But that is flat out bullshit to say you can get away with it all the time, it still depends on the individual.

I will only agree that many blacks even those who don't like the word being used, still don't want it banned by law.

I think all words are contextual and can only be taken case by case. But if you are going to use a word with someone, just as a conversation or joke I think it is wise to know your audience and that person personally. There are things you can get away with saying to those you personally know than saying to complete strangers.

I was referring to when people are citing someone else's use of the name, like in new broadcast, and use the term "n-word" in place of "nigger". Or like in discussion of the word nigger.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Tomasia's post
05-07-2016, 07:17 AM
(05-07-2016 05:41 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  
(04-07-2016 11:08 PM)TechnoMonkey Wrote:  You are just flat out wrong! I served in my country's military to uphold the constitution. One of the rights in this country is the freedom of speech.

Freedom of Speech refers only to the government limiting speech. A private organization (such as an internet forum) can limit or censor whatever speech it wants.

And I full appreciate that the forum can censor. I never insinuated that the forum had no right or authority to censor. On the same token, they also have a right not to censor.

Just to make things clear, I do not condone the use of derogatory terms in a derogatory sense.

Mayhaps the thread should have never been started or could have been presented differently, but I do understand the question presented by the OP. It seemed an honest question without intent and that seems to have flown by a few posters.

"They think, therefore I am" - god
05-07-2016, 07:59 AM
Hmmm... It's interesting that this topic came up. Laugh out load

I guess I personally would prefer that no one uses it regardless of race. However, it doesn't bother me when it's used between friends. It also doesn't bother me when people discuss the word.

It would only bother me if used in a derogatory way. That goes for any kind of slur really.

☆☆☆
[+] 2 users Like CosmicRaven's post
05-07-2016, 08:13 AM
(05-07-2016 07:17 AM)TechnoMonkey Wrote:  
(05-07-2016 05:41 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  Freedom of Speech refers only to the government limiting speech. A private organization (such as an internet forum) can limit or censor whatever speech it wants.

And I full appreciate that the forum can censor. I never insinuated that the forum had no right or authority to censor. On the same token, they also have a right not to censor.

My apologies for not being more clear. I was just clarifying on a point many people gloss over.

(05-07-2016 07:17 AM)TechnoMonkey Wrote:  Just to make things clear, I do not condone the use of derogatory terms in a derogatory sense.

That's an interesting point in itself. Do you mean any derogatory word or racial slurs, etc.?

(05-07-2016 07:17 AM)TechnoMonkey Wrote:  Mayhaps the thread should have never been started or could have been presented differently, but I do understand the question presented by the OP. It seemed an honest question without intent and that seems to have flown by a few posters.

It could have been presented better. It is a valid albeit volatile subject.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
05-07-2016, 08:14 AM
(04-07-2016 10:23 PM)TheBear Wrote:  So, why is "nigger" the one word white people need to avoid, even when citing something that someone else said? "He called him the N word!" is about as close as a white person can get. At the same time, any other derogatory remark in the world, including cracker, honky, faggot, motherfucker, and you name it, are all on the table to repeat.

Understandable that all these terms are derogatory and insulting, why is "nigger" the only word in the universe which is completely off the table for whites to utter in our culture?

For what it's worth, I just finished watching the O.J. Simpson: Made in America documentary on ABC-ESPN. When people were quoting what others were saying and those quotes used "nigger" in it, they didn't change the quote, and to the credit of the networks, they didn't beep it out. In this kind of instance, use of the word nigger is perfectly acceptable because it is capturing, journalistically and historically, the accuracy and temperature of the moment. When scores of black people gathered around his house to support him as he was taken into custody, Simpson said, "What are all these niggers doing in Brentwood?" Someone in the documentary relayed that story for the cameras and HAD to say niggers there, otherwise it would sound ludicrous and would be inaccurate.

So, to answer the OP, it's not off the table if used in the proper context.

Also, a little anecdote: Back in the '80s, I used to bowl in a league and one night we all went out for drinks. One of my friends, a black guy, came up to me and said, "Nigger, you bowled awesome tonight!" I said, "Hey man, thanks. You do know I'm not black, right?" He laughed and said, "Of course I know you're not black. When I say it among friends, it's just like saying Homey or whatever. You can call me nigger when we're hanging. It's the way you say it and in context."

I'll never forget that night. I didn't necessarily agree with him, but I could see what he meant. I never did say it, though, not out of guilt, as someone referenced way earlier in this thread, but out of respect. If you respect people, and you know a particular word could offend or hurt someone, then this word shouldn't be used in any way except to document a past occurrence. Just like wop, kike, chink or dot-head shouldn't be used to describe anyone. They are all offensive terms.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like WillHopp's post
05-07-2016, 08:23 AM
I think it's all about intent. I don't see the need to use derogatory terms of any kind with the intent of spreading hate. People who use derogatory terms with the express purpose of spewing hate come off as highly uneducated and ethnocentric. However, if it's done in a joking manner between friends or in a discussion about race, the use of those terms have no hateful charge to them. The words themselves are just words. The intent is what gives them power.
[+] 8 users Like jennybee's post
05-07-2016, 08:25 AM
(05-07-2016 08:14 AM)WillHopp Wrote:  If you respect people, and you know a particular word could offend or hurt someone, then this word shouldn't be used in any way except to document a past occurrence. Just like wop, kike, chink or dot-head shouldn't be used to describe anyone. They are all offensive terms.

Yes. And I don't even know what a dot head is. Huh

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
05-07-2016, 08:28 AM
The black community is most affected by this word, so I think people should look to them for cues on how the word should be used or if its usage should be totally discontinued. -But the black community does use this word (quite frequently) and as far as I’m concerned, through their actions, they’re making the statement that it's completely okay to use it as long as it’s done in a friendly manner. But we’re getting mixed signals from the black community because they want white people to stop saying it, but they themselves are the ones who are perpetuating its usage. Allowing certain people to use it but not other people is in itself racist.

Like the use of the word kike, when the black community is ready to retire the word nigger (for real) they’ll just stop using it. The occasional derogatory comments made by non-blacks will die out because no one will know what the word means anymore.
[+] 7 users Like Aliza's post
05-07-2016, 08:40 AM
(05-07-2016 08:25 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(05-07-2016 08:14 AM)WillHopp Wrote:  If you respect people, and you know a particular word could offend or hurt someone, then this word shouldn't be used in any way except to document a past occurrence. Just like wop, kike, chink or dot-head shouldn't be used to describe anyone. They are all offensive terms.

Yes. And I don't even know what a dot head is. Huh

[Image: Vidya-Balan_7-300x275.jpg]

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
05-07-2016, 08:56 AM
(05-07-2016 08:40 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(05-07-2016 08:25 AM)Dom Wrote:  Yes. And I don't even know what a dot head is. Huh

[Image: Vidya-Balan_7-300x275.jpg]

This is a lovely example of a "dot head" but as you can see from this picture, she's left her lab coat and scrubs in her office.
[+] 2 users Like Aliza's post