The word - "Nigger"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-07-2016, 09:09 AM
RE: Nigger
(04-07-2016 10:55 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(04-07-2016 10:42 PM)TheBear Wrote:  Is it okay for a Jew to spell out the word "kike", but at the same time, a non-Jew has to limit it to "the K word"?

No, no "k-word" nonsense. I don't think anyone would know what you mean if you said, "k-word". Most people don't even know the word "kike".

Honestly, if someone actually used that word, I'd just assume something was "wrong" with that person and treat them as such.

Being Jewish by blood, although never by religion I was probably 40 years old before I heard the word kike. It was about the time Jesse Jackson presumably derailed his campaign for president by calling New York Himey town. I didn't know the word himey before that either.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-07-2016, 09:13 AM
(04-07-2016 11:05 PM)TheBear Wrote:  How quickly this has turned into an attack on the individual raising the topic, rather than addressing the topic at hand. This is the 3rd page, and only one poster actually tried to address the topic at hand.

Is this the default value around here. Are ad hominmems the default, go-to options when faced with such inquiries? Is that all you got? Insults rather than discussion?

Out of all the forums I visit, I thought this would be one where we could actually discuss this intellectually and in-depth. How disappointing.

How would one discuss intelligently and in-depth the use of the work nigger? Give it a try. Go ahead.
05-07-2016, 09:20 AM
(05-07-2016 09:09 AM)Born Again Pagan Wrote:  
(04-07-2016 10:55 PM)Aliza Wrote:  No, no "k-word" nonsense. I don't think anyone would know what you mean if you said, "k-word". Most people don't even know the word "kike".

Honestly, if someone actually used that word, I'd just assume something was "wrong" with that person and treat them as such.

Being Jewish by blood, although never by religion I was probably 40 years old before I heard the word kike. It was about the time Jesse Jackson presumably derailed his campaign for president by calling New York Himey town. I didn't know the word himey before that either.

I know! Yeah, that was stupid of him. -Because somehow it's okay to use derogatory words toward other people while sucking your thumb in the corner, butt-hurt that people use comments like that toward your own people.

I grew up in a Jewish community, so I went to school with lots of kids who knew what the word meant. One time, I heard a non-Jewish student use it, and for the Jews, it was like spotting a unicorn. We were stunned and we had no idea how we were supposed to respond.
[+] 2 users Like Aliza's post
05-07-2016, 09:23 AM
Reading through this thread made me look up some lyrics to Uptown Funk. I love the song but I've been mishearing the lyrics.

This is what I've been hearing and apparently I'm not alone, a whole lot of other people hear it this way too.

"Fill my cup put some nigga in it."

But I thought, well ok, he wrote the song and he's black so I guess he can say whatever he wants but a white person might get slammed if they sing it.

The REAL lyrics are:

"Fill my cup put some liquor in it."

It's interesting how so many people misheard the lyrics to that song, myself included.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
05-07-2016, 09:30 AM
(05-07-2016 05:51 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  Ooooh. Found a transcript of Hitchens' speech.

(05-07-2016 09:09 AM)Born Again Pagan Wrote:  ...
Being Jewish by blood, although never by religion I was probably 40 years old before I heard the word kike.

I can beat that. 52 years.

I have never heard it spoken and only saw it written for the first time in this thread.

... which may well prove Aliza's point.

Yes

[+] 7 users Like DLJ's post
05-07-2016, 09:57 AM
(04-07-2016 11:05 PM)TheBear Wrote:  How quickly this has turned into an attack on the individual raising the topic, rather than addressing the topic at hand. This is the 3rd page, and only one poster actually tried to address the topic at hand.

Is this the default value around here. Are ad hominmems the default, go-to options when faced with such inquiries? Is that all you got? Insults rather than discussion?

Out of all the forums I visit, I thought this would be one where we could actually discuss this intellectually and in-depth. How disappointing.

Actually, a couple of us have.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
05-07-2016, 10:07 AM
(04-07-2016 11:48 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Actually, I doubt that.

On Sunday I spent a few hours with a very mixed group. One guy from Iran was anecdoting about his experience with the word "Arab" and expressing his bewilderment that someone had described Iran as being Arabic.

So naturally, I referred to him as "the Arab" from then on. Big Grin

lol, having lived in Iran for four years, I can tell you -- they can get mighty pissy about that.
05-07-2016, 10:39 AM
There was a time when the word nigger caused PTSD attacks in many people. When it brought back horrifying experiences in their own lives.

As humans with empathy, we really should have no issue avoiding the word in such circumstances, not doing so is cruel.

As long as there are survivors of slavery and survivors of black people being persecuted and killed, we should be respecting their issues with the word.

However, those days are pretty much gone. While I understand that there is still a lot of racism (from both sides), we don't find black people hanging from trees anymore. I don't think there is anyone with PTSD reactions to the word nigger anymore. Or is there? Am I wrong?

While Muffs ground on my nerves when he had that "nigger phase" and kept using the word over and over, he did have a point. It is time we became desensitized to it. It's time that this word lost it's black magic. It's just a stupid word that was used by stupid people to do stupid things.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 4 users Like Dom's post
05-07-2016, 12:03 PM
I thought of this thread at the movies this morning (woot for $5 Tuesday and gift cards) when I saw Free State of Jones. Expected a lot of action and instead got a lot of social deconstruction and critique. But at one point, four men, who were white, had been hung by the Confederacy. Newton, the white protagonist, is expected to give an inspiring speech to the mixed race crowd and looks over at the man we've watched become his best friend, an escaped slave. He opens with, "Moses, are you a nigger?" "No sir." "Why ain't you a nigger?" "Because I'm a child of God." And then our protagonist goes into a pretty good speech about how no man should ever be made to be like an animal to another, and that the Confederacy had treated those four white men the way they treated slaves for so many years and that it was unacceptable to treat any man "as a nigger", skin color shouldn't count for anything, because a man is a man, not something to be treated like cattle. No one in our protagonist's faction ever uses the word again.

Just thought it was a pretty powerful scene and that I'd share, even though the thread has gotten big.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Shai Hulud's post
05-07-2016, 12:36 PM
RE: The word - "Nigger"
In an effort to dispel any misinterpretations, I have changed the thread title. It is the word, and the power it seems to hold, which I wanted to discuss. Many of you got it, and there have been some very insightful replies. Please forgive my original sloppiness in the title last night, (after a few beers, wasn't really drunk, but was not my sharpest at the moment).
[+] 5 users Like TheBear's post