The word - "Nigger"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-07-2016, 12:50 PM
RE: The word - "Nigger"
As a white male I just don't think it's my word to use. It's about respecting other people.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 10 users Like Mr. Boston's post
05-07-2016, 12:54 PM (This post was last modified: 05-07-2016 01:25 PM by LadyDay.)
This is an interesting thread. I feel like I'm getting a glimpse into American culture and history.
However, not being a native English speaker, I don't understand any of the new bad words I've learned here. But it seems rude to ask for explanations out of curiosity. Blush
Guess I'll just have to stick to non-derogatory swearwords.
Poop.

"I believe that while not all people are essentially good, most are trying" - Adam Savage
[+] 6 users Like LadyDay's post
05-07-2016, 12:54 PM
I don't see why white people can't use it. I mean hispanics use it, they aren't black. Hell I say nigger a lot as well, and I find it strange how I can get away with it just because of my skin color.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
05-07-2016, 01:22 PM

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 6 users Like Commonsensei's post
05-07-2016, 02:00 PM (This post was last modified: 05-07-2016 03:07 PM by Mr. Boston.)
I have no desire to use it. I'm of Irish ancestry. My Irish relatives and friends and I will refer to each other as "Micks" every now and then, just to bust each other's balls a bit. But if someone called me that to intentionally hurt my feelings or incite me to some kind of violence I would laugh at them. Slurs have no power over me.
[+] 2 users Like Mr. Boston's post
05-07-2016, 03:04 PM
Who ever felt it was a "white" thing overall. There's a calling of terms looked at as disgraceful as that region pending.

Why must I be Ladd? via da Tapatalk

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
05-07-2016, 03:21 PM
(04-07-2016 11:32 PM)Aliza Wrote:  We didn't like the word, so we encouraged people to stop using it. -And then we didn't combine that effort with it being okay that we still use it for shits and giggles because we were somehow exempt. To be effective, everyone has to stop using it.

Before long, the word ceases to be a part of the language anymore.

Unfortunately, that doesn't solve much. The problem isn't the word, it's the sentiment that it expresses. If you remove the word but leave the underlying problem to fester then little good will come of it.

For example, most of us pasty-skinned folks have stopped referring to those with a naturally superior, year-round base tan as niggers but that hasn't stopped us from treating them like second-class citizens. We've simply become more circumspect in our bigotry.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post
05-07-2016, 03:27 PM
I look at this topic very pragmatically.

As a white guy from the South, I refrain from using it because the only people I hear use that word (besides black people) are racist redneck fucks. With the accent I have acquired by the unfortunate circumstance of having been born and raised here, any attempt to use that word will only associate me with a group of people from which I have worked very hard to distance myself.

I have no desire to change the world - only to enjoy my life in it, live in it peacefully with others, and hopefully leave the things I touch a little better than I found them. Arguing about a stupid fucking word is just a waste of time.

I just wanted to let you know that I love you even though you aren't naked right now. Heart
[+] 6 users Like TurkeyBurner's post
05-07-2016, 03:42 PM
The word in context.

Wendell Pierce brings out the usage that I think causes angst and unease among some quarters. Even though he is black, he is clearly using it in an offensive way.

Denzel Washington's perfectly harmless use of the word.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
[+] 1 user Likes tomilay's post
05-07-2016, 03:44 PM
(05-07-2016 12:54 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  I don't see why white people can't use it. I mean hispanics use it, they aren't black. Hell I say nigger a lot as well, and I find it strange how I can get away with it just because of my skin color.

I also use the word "Redskin" being a Washington Redskins fan, but I am not married to the word either. You cannot nor should ignore the history of any word, even if currently you don't use it in the same context of bigots.

Gays still use the word "gay" to this day, but before it became a slur against homosexuals the original use merely meant "Happy".

As much as I have grown up and liked the Washington Redskins team, way after the term was phrased and used as a slur, I would be remiss to ignore the history of it's use. Thus if Danny suddenly changed the name, would not lose a lick of sleep over it.

Context matters. I am willing to give up on old ways if that interest will foster better interaction of my fellow humans. I don't however think, in doing that the "sins of the father" applies. I still cannot be responsible for what I wasn't around to commit.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post