The world’s first Self-Driving Ubers are now on the road in the Steel City.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-09-2016, 04:40 AM
The world’s first Self-Driving Ubers are now on the road in the Steel City.
Uber just launched self-driving taxis. They started rolling along the streets of Pittsburgh today.

i-e The world’s first Self-Driving Ubers are now on the road in the Steel City.

The launch of Uber's self-driving pilot program marks the public unveiling of the company's secretive work in autonomous vehicles and the first time self-driving cars have been so freely available to the U.S. public.

The aggressive San Francisco-based startup Uber has already shaken up the world’s taxi services, earning a valuation of $68 billion. It plans ultimately to replace many of its 1.5 million drivers with autonomous vehicles.

According to Reuter, there will be only four self-driving vehicles available to passengers, to start, and two people will sit in the front to take over driving when the car cannot steer itself.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Karthikaqpt's post
16-09-2016, 04:53 AM
RE: The world’s first Self-Driving Ubers are now on the road in the Steel City.
Great! Another reason to avoid driving in Pittsburgh like the black plague!

Great for the technology, but seriously, it's one of the worst cities to drive around in. Probably why it's a great test case, because you'd be hard pressed to find a more archaic road layout in a major metropolis.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
16-09-2016, 05:57 AM
(16-09-2016 04:53 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Great! Another reason to avoid driving in Pittsburgh like the black plague!

Great for the technology, but seriously, it's one of the worst cities to drive around in. Probably why it's a great test case, because you'd be hard pressed to find a more archaic road layout in a major metropolis.

Boston. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Chas's post
16-09-2016, 06:05 AM
Self driving cars -- the near ultimate playtoy for the mischievous hacker......

The ultimate would be "self driving commercial aircraft".......

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
16-09-2016, 09:09 AM
We've had self driving trains for decades, and planes fly themselves for most of their time in the air.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 3 users Like Hafnof's post
16-09-2016, 11:12 AM
(16-09-2016 04:40 AM)Karthikaqpt Wrote:  According to Reuter, there will be only four self-driving vehicles available to passengers, to start, and two people will sit in the front to take over driving when the car cannot steer itself.

There could be instances when the car cannot steer itself and a passenger would need to take over? Get those things off the road! Gasp

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
16-09-2016, 11:42 AM
(16-09-2016 09:09 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  We've had self driving trains for decades, and planes fly themselves for most of their time in the air.

Maybe so....

But, I for one wouldn't get into any vehicle where there wasn't a trained, experienced operator (pilot) to take over when the computer decides it's time to blink "the blue screen of death"....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
16-09-2016, 12:32 PM
(16-09-2016 11:12 AM)Impulse Wrote:  There could be instances when the car cannot steer itself and a passenger would need to take over? Get those things off the road! Gasp
It's not very different from a human driver in that regard. Your taxi driver might have a heart attack, a seizure, a cramp, a stroke or what have you. There's an argument to be made that a self-driving car is even preferable in a situation like that because it's much easier to grab the wheel and steer the car yourself than it is to steer a car with a passed out person in the driver's seat while sitting in the passenger seat yourself.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
16-09-2016, 01:15 PM
(16-09-2016 05:57 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(16-09-2016 04:53 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Great! Another reason to avoid driving in Pittsburgh like the black plague!

Boston. Drinking Beverage

Pittsburgh is Boston, but with the addition of 3 rivers and all of the bridges needed to cross them, half the roads are one way, and the subway system is practically nonexistent.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
16-09-2016, 01:40 PM
(16-09-2016 12:32 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(16-09-2016 11:12 AM)Impulse Wrote:  There could be instances when the car cannot steer itself and a passenger would need to take over? Get those things off the road! Gasp
It's not very different from a human driver in that regard. Your taxi driver might have a heart attack, a seizure, a cramp, a stroke or what have you. There's an argument to be made that a self-driving car is even preferable in a situation like that because it's much easier to grab the wheel and steer the car yourself than it is to steer a car with a passed out person in the driver's seat while sitting in the passenger seat yourself.

Actually, it's quite different. A human driver is always paying attention (in theory anyway), but a passenger who thinks the car is doing fine might not be as alert to a situation that requires taking over. Any passenger might not be paying attention at all. However, that was what I thought before I saw an article after my first post that says an engineer would be in the driver's seat. So I don't think it's going to be just an average passenger now anyway. That makes it better, but still scary in my opinion. If the car can't navigate 100% through any situation, then give me a full-time driver please. Even an engineer can be quite distracted assuming the car is doing the driving.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.