The world continues to heat up

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-01-2017, 11:22 AM
The world continues to heat up
BBC reports that 2016 is likely to be the warmest year on record.

Some if it had to do with the El Niño but data shows that most of the warming was a direct result of CO2 generated by human activity.

Data shows 2016 likely to be warmest year yet

Personally, I think we're well past the point of no return. A Princeton study shows that even if humankind stopped generating CO2 today, the planet would continue to warm for at least another 200 years. Even if emissions stop, carbon dioxide could warm Earth for centuries

In my view, going after carbon emissions is not unlike closing the barn door after the horse has bolted (sorry for the cliché). It's already too late. Carbon taxes/cap-and-trade fees and the like won't make any difference except put a lot of people out of work.

It's time we worked on the following:
  • Carbon capture/storage technology
  • Investment in vaccines and treatments for tropical diseases
  • More investment and research into genetically engineering drought- and flood-resistant crops
  • Moving people inland
And then there's the whole question of mass migration and security. What I find sadly ironic is that the forces that originally said that climate change wasn't real are the very same ones that are wanting to close the borders. Well, if they had studied the science and taken climate change seriously and actually done something about it, there wouldn't be this mass migration of people.

If you think that the refugee problem is bad now, give it another 10 to 15 years to see what a real crisis looks like.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Heath_Tierney's post
18-01-2017, 11:29 AM
RE: The world continues to heat up
Yep and thanks to the ASSHOLE GOP who guts funding and deregulates everything and protects pollution, and now has an asshole demagogue who is filling his cabinet with inept assholes who want to destroy our planet we can look for a longer delay to slow it down.

FUCK TRUMP AND FUCK THE GOP.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-01-2017, 12:11 PM
(18-01-2017 11:22 AM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  If you think that the refugee problem is bad now, give it another 10 to 15 years to see what a real crisis looks like.

That's why I live in St. Louis. Thumbsup
18-01-2017, 02:28 PM
(18-01-2017 12:11 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(18-01-2017 11:22 AM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  If you think that the refugee problem is bad now, give it another 10 to 15 years to see what a real crisis looks like.

That's why I live in St. Louis. Thumbsup

Dude, I keep forgetting that! I live 2 hours south of you.

I go to the doctor in StL about every 3 months... I'm due to have an appointment made, here in the next week or so, probably for late February.

We should totally grab a beer or something. I could use some "this is St. Louis' best food" guidance, as I'm a huge fan of diners/dives, and all the guides I've tried to look up are trying to recommend snooty places I would abhor.

Try to remind me (because I *will* forget) in about a month, and we'll set something up, if you're down. Smile

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
18-01-2017, 02:43 PM
I would like to think that by now it would be increasingly more obvious to the climate "skeptics" that the Earth is fucking warming at an alarming rate, but they always surprise me. For instance, it has been ridiculously warm in the Northeastern US all winter. We have had maybe two snow storms and in both cases the snow was gone the next day. We were projected to get snow the last couple of days but it has been all rain because it is TOO FUCKING WARM TO SNOW.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
18-01-2017, 02:48 PM
I think all your snow ended up at my house.

'Murican Canadian
18-01-2017, 02:49 PM
(18-01-2017 02:48 PM)yakherder Wrote:  I think all your snow ended up at my house.

I mean...you can have it.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
18-01-2017, 02:55 PM
Worst case scenario, 95% of the world dies and the rest live in biodomes.

I think the Transhumanist party presents the only realistic solution. Tech our way through the problems.

Everyone else either wants to ignore it completely or create regulations they can't possibly enforce, which is more or less the same as doing nothing.

'Murican Canadian
18-01-2017, 03:32 PM (This post was last modified: 18-01-2017 03:35 PM by Popeye's Pappy.)
What a graph of the temperature change for the last 100 years looks like.

[Image: GLB.TsdSST_zpsozoz5zry.jpg]

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
18-01-2017, 04:39 PM (This post was last modified: 18-01-2017 04:43 PM by Brian37.)
(18-01-2017 02:55 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Worst case scenario, 95% of the world dies and the rest live in biodomes.

I think the Transhumanist party presents the only realistic solution. Tech our way through the problems.

Everyone else either wants to ignore it completely or create regulations they can't possibly enforce, which is more or less the same as doing nothing.

What? Regulations are not impossible, the problem is that just like religious people big biz clings to old crap because greed drives them like narcissism drive religious people, We've always done it that way. Just like it took Nader to shame gov to create regulations that ended up mandating change.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37