The world continues to heat up

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-01-2017, 05:05 PM
RE: The world continues to heat up
(18-01-2017 04:39 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  
(18-01-2017 02:55 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Worst case scenario, 95% of the world dies and the rest live in biodomes.

I think the Transhumanist party presents the only realistic solution. Tech our way through the problems.

Everyone else either wants to ignore it completely or create regulations they can't possibly enforce, which is more or less the same as doing nothing.

What? Regulations are not impossible, the problem is that just like religious people big biz clings to old crap because greed drives them like narcissism drive religious people, We've always done it that way. Just like it took Nader to shame gov to create regulations that ended up mandating change.

Yeah but greed is nothing new. You might as well angrily point your finger at water and scream at it for being wet. It's not gonna change.

A more rational question than "Whose fault is it?" is "Given that those whom we suspect as being at fault would rather achieve short term benefits than deal with the problem, what is a practical solution?"

One side wants to do nothing. The other end of the spectrum has plenty of proposed solutions but lacks the leverage to enforce them. The above mentioned technology based solution has the potential to be implemented with or without their support.

'Murican Canadian
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-01-2017, 03:51 PM
(18-01-2017 11:22 AM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  BBC reports that 2016 is likely to be the warmest year on record.

Some if it had to do with the El Niño but data shows that most of the warming was a direct result of CO2 generated by human activity.

Data shows 2016 likely to be warmest year yet

Personally, I think we're well past the point of no return. A Princeton study shows that even if humankind stopped generating CO2 today, the planet would continue to warm for at least another 200 years. Even if emissions stop, carbon dioxide could warm Earth for centuries

In my view, going after carbon emissions is not unlike closing the barn door after the horse has bolted (sorry for the cliché). It's already too late. Carbon taxes/cap-and-trade fees and the like won't make any difference except put a lot of people out of work.

1) It will make a difference. There are still a whole lot of horses in this barn. What you're looking at is the first few frisky colts in what could be a very ugly stampede. It's the difference between 400 ppm CO2 raising the temperature somewhat for the next few centuries and >>400 ppm CO2 raising the temperature a crapload for the next millenium or three.

2) Nobody is losing their jobs. That's classic scare tactics from wealthy industrialists who are the only people likely to lose on this. We're still going to need energy and the innovations necessary to produce it without fucking the planet will create more jobs than SSDD oilpatch. If you really want to lose jobs wait until the midwest turns into a dustbowl.

Quote:It's time we worked on the following:

All useful partial measures that treat the syptom rather than the problem. We're going to have to do some of that, but if we keep raising the CO2 content of the atmosphere none of that is going to be enough.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 2 users Like Paleophyte's post
20-01-2017, 02:22 PM
(18-01-2017 11:29 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  Yep and thanks to the ASSHOLE GOP who guts funding and deregulates everything and protects pollution, and now has an asshole demagogue who is filling his cabinet with inept assholes who want to destroy our planet we can look for a longer delay to slow it down.

FUCK TRUMP AND FUCK THE GOP.

I'm on board with your final statement, but they don't want to destroy the planet. They just want to make money. They don't care about the planet one way or another. Which, in a way, is even worse than wanting to destroy the planet.

Also -- I don't think destroying the planet is within our capability. The planet will survive (at least until the sun swallows it up in a few billion years). What may not survive is the planet's ability to support human life.
20-01-2017, 02:24 PM
(18-01-2017 02:49 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(18-01-2017 02:48 PM)yakherder Wrote:  I think all your snow ended up at my house.

I mean...you can have it.

What we've been getting (in southern Wisconsin) is regular bouts of freezing rain, about once a week for the last three weeks. I'll take snow any day over freezing rain.
20-01-2017, 02:25 PM
Quote:What may not survive is the planet's ability to support human life.

That would be a smart move by the planet.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
20-01-2017, 02:26 PM
(18-01-2017 12:11 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(18-01-2017 11:22 AM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  If you think that the refugee problem is bad now, give it another 10 to 15 years to see what a real crisis looks like.

That's why I live in St. Louis. Thumbsup

You're only 465' above sea level and in the Mississippi River valley. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user