The world disagrees with the Cuban Embargo.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-11-2013, 08:50 AM
The world disagrees with the Cuban Embargo.
In a recent U.N. vote, over 100 nations, all but two of them voted to condemn the U.S. embargo on Cuba, the U.S. being one of those nations.

Drinking Beverage

What are your thoughts on this world wide nation vote to condemn the embargo? Is the U.S. and that other nation right and everyone else wrong?

Drinking Beverage
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-11-2013, 09:16 AM
RE: The world disagrees with the Cuban Embargo.
Bill Maher and Debbie Shultz (D - Florida) had a little argument about this a few weeks ago...

I have to side with Bill, the cold war ended what 1/4 of a century ago now? Canada has moved on, why can't we? Cuba isn't a threat, Russia was barely a real threat during the cold war.... We do business with other dictatorships, other communist nations (Go ahead and tell me how many things did you have to turn over on your desk before you found one that wasn't made in China?) ...and they make damn good cigars and killer skirt steak w/ fried plantains.

It seems stupid and childish at this point that we have this everlasting embargo placed on a little banana republic covered in our own military bases.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-11-2013, 09:20 AM
Re: The world disagrees with the Cuban Embargo.
Haven't you ever seen Scarface? Jews hate Cubans, they only like Puerto Ricans like in Carlito's Way. That's because PR is a commonwealth of the US.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
15-11-2013, 09:24 AM
(15-11-2013 09:20 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Haven't you ever seen Scarface? Jews hate Cubans, they only like Puerto Ricans like in Carlito's Way. That's because PR is a commonwealth of the US.

You talking about Schultz? I'm not a fan, I agree with her on some issues but she annoys me, and her argument for the embargo sounded like the Bush administrations arguments for the Iraq war.

...Floridian Cubans also hate Cubans cause all the Floridian Cubans are the hardcore capitalists who jumped ship when Castro took power.

15-11-2013, 09:25 AM
(15-11-2013 09:20 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Haven't you ever seen Scarface? Jews hate Cubans, they only like Puerto Ricans like in Carlito's Way. That's because PR is a commonwealth of the US.

What does your jew comment have to do with my comment on the U.S. being one of the two countries that voted not to condemn the Cuban embargo? Tell us please....

Drinking Beverage
15-11-2013, 09:32 AM
I think your info is a little old
" A record-equalling 188 countries on Tuesday condemned the five-decade-old US embargo against communist Cuba in an annual UN General Assembly vote that signalled hardening opposition to US sanctions.
Only Israel joined the United States in opposing resolution, the smallest number ever. Last year two allies voted with the US Government."
Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/Over...z2kjDZnvTD

After 5 mins of research I can't decide, It does seem like the US is holding a grudge for the nationalisation of US corporate assets.
but they do have a valid "they are like North Korea" analogy. I'd probably vote with the 188 unless i hear a good argument for the embargo.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
15-11-2013, 09:42 AM (This post was last modified: 15-11-2013 09:47 AM by ClydeLee.)
Re: RE: The world disagrees with the Cuban Embargo.
(15-11-2013 09:25 AM)I and I Wrote:  

What does your jew comment have to do with my comment on the U.S. being one of the two countries that voted not to condemn the Cuban embargo? Tell us please....

Drinking Beverage

You already know the answer.

But the embargo has been dumb for years if not always. It's likely a large majority of the American public is also against it.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
15-11-2013, 10:03 AM
(15-11-2013 08:50 AM)I and I Wrote:  In a recent U.N. vote, over 100 nations, all but two of them voted to condemn the U.S. embargo on Cuba, the U.S. being one of those nations.

Drinking Beverage

What are your thoughts on this world wide nation vote to condemn the embargo? Is the U.S. and that other nation right and everyone else wrong?

Drinking Beverage

Oh I see... You guys weren't talking about Shultz. Although that explains Shultz's hardline stance as well.

I & I you are....

....wait for it......

[Image: unbelievable_5th_element.gif]

15-11-2013, 05:21 PM
I don't know who this schultz person is.

We are discussing the Cuban Embargo in light of the recent vote in the UN by EVERY NATION that voted except for two to condemn the Embargo.

The fact that Israel and the U.S. are the only nations to not condemn the embargo begs the question: are they right and the whole world wrong or are they wrong?
15-11-2013, 06:34 PM (This post was last modified: 15-11-2013 06:39 PM by Question.)
The US has always used containment as a way to try and solve issues. (Slavery - NW Ordinance, Missouri Compromise) Within the Cold War the US wanted to contain such political problems such as Communism so it wouldn't spread.
The US will never promote communism in any way, so as long as Cuba has political turmoil, it will always be embargoed. I actually side with the US on this, but only due to the unlikely way the two countries could ever collaborate.
You see, the US doesn't like Cuba.
http://jasonpoblete.com/2008/08/04/us-cl...er-beware/
(83% of Americans in '08 dislike Castro)

While the ban may be widely disliked, US politics tend to be against it. (Although I know Obama and Hillary made public announcements to unlift the ban)

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.