The world disagrees with the Cuban Embargo.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-11-2013, 07:51 PM
That's a yes or no, DO YOU believe the US wants democracy in Cuba?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-11-2013, 08:00 PM
RE: The world disagrees with the Cuban Embargo.
I keep reposting it because it answers my question, and I also answered it in my initial post. You have this habit of being manipulative to try and frustrate people in almost every topic you post, however, I have no interest in giving you lean way. Either you use critical thinking to progress instead of jumping around or you don't get responses that move the conversation forward.

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
15-11-2013, 08:13 PM
(15-11-2013 06:34 PM)Question Wrote:  The US has always used containment as a way to try and solve issues. (Slavery - NW Ordinance, Missouri Compromise) Within the Cold War the US wanted to contain such political problems such as Communism so it wouldn't spread.
The US will never promote communism in any way, so as long as Cuba has political turmoil, it will always be embargoed. I actually side with the US on this, but only due to the unlikely way the two countries could ever collaborate.
You see, the US doesn't like Cuba.
http://jasonpoblete.com/2008/08/04/us-cl...er-beware/
(83% of Americans in '08 dislike Castro)

While the ban may be widely disliked, US politics tend to be against it. (Although I know Obama and Hillary made public announcements to unlift the ban)

Your initial post refers to the reason for the embargo 40 years ago. I am asking you what the purpose of the embargo is in 2013. And do you personally believe the U.S. wants democracy in Cuba? (you did post a link to a cuba democracy organization)
15-11-2013, 08:24 PM
(15-11-2013 08:13 PM)I and I Wrote:  
(15-11-2013 06:34 PM)Question Wrote:  The US has always used containment as a way to try and solve issues. (Slavery - NW Ordinance, Missouri Compromise) Within the Cold War the US wanted to contain such political problems such as Communism so it wouldn't spread.
The US will never promote communism in any way, so as long as Cuba has political turmoil, it will always be embargoed. I actually side with the US on this, but only due to the unlikely way the two countries could ever collaborate.
You see, the US doesn't like Cuba.
http://jasonpoblete.com/2008/08/04/us-cl...er-beware/
(83% of Americans in '08 dislike Castro)

While the ban may be widely disliked, US politics tend to be against it. (Although I know Obama and Hillary made public announcements to unlift the ban)

Your initial post refers to the reason for the embargo 40 years ago. I am asking you what the purpose of the embargo is in 2013. And do you personally believe the U.S. wants democracy in Cuba? (you did post a link to a cuba democracy organization)

Read again.

If you cannot read my posts and use your own mind to put two and two together, then there is no point in this conversation. You should be able to guess by my persistent nature and repetition what the answers are.

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
[+] 1 user Likes Question's post
15-11-2013, 09:21 PM
(15-11-2013 08:24 PM)Question Wrote:  
(15-11-2013 08:13 PM)I and I Wrote:  Your initial post refers to the reason for the embargo 40 years ago. I am asking you what the purpose of the embargo is in 2013. And do you personally believe the U.S. wants democracy in Cuba? (you did post a link to a cuba democracy organization)

Read again.

If you cannot read my posts and use your own mind to put two and two together, then there is no point in this conversation. You should be able to guess by my persistent nature and repetition what the answers are.

Why not say yes or no? Do you think the US wants democracy in Cuba?
15-11-2013, 09:52 PM
(15-11-2013 09:21 PM)I and I Wrote:  
(15-11-2013 08:24 PM)Question Wrote:  Read again.

Why not say yes or no? Do you think the US wants democracy in Cuba?
Already answered it. And it's about time I stopped before it's classified as spam. If you want to know you can read the posts and put two and two together, since I'm not going to spoon feed you anything.

[+] 1 user Likes Question's post
15-11-2013, 10:11 PM
(15-11-2013 08:50 AM)I and I Wrote:  In a recent U.N. vote, over 100 nations, all but two of them voted to condemn the U.S. embargo on Cuba, the U.S. being one of those nations.

Drinking Beverage

What are your thoughts on this world wide nation vote to condemn the embargo? Is the U.S. and that other nation right and everyone else wrong?

Drinking Beverage

I don't think we should embargo any country except as a prelude to war. It is apparent we have no intention of going to war with Cuba so I don't see the point of an embargo.
16-11-2013, 03:41 AM
I'm against the embargo as well. Embargo should only be used during war. We aren't at war with Cuba, we aren't funding our destruction by trading with Cuba, it made no sense when it began, and even less now. If you want to foster a friendship with someone forbidding trade is a terrible path to take.

16-11-2013, 09:06 AM
The US embargo to Cuba currently exists for one simple reason: Florida has enough electoral votes to possibly impact an election and the anti-Castro crowd in Cuba will all vote in a block on this one issue, and can conceivably swing an election. The US doesn't need Cuba, the embargo doesn't cost us anything except maybe access to Cuban cigars (which are easy enough to get anyway), and the politics make it a political problem. We cater to a small minority and that is the basis for the policy. This was never about pushing a democracy in Cuba, I don't care how many wiki links say it was. Castro's predecessor, Batista, was a dictator, not a democratically elected leader. The people who fled to the US after Castro desposed Batista were people who were living the good life in an oppressive, fascist state. That we allow these people to influence our policy is disgusting.

The original embargo had everything to do with the Cold War policy of containment. As was pointed out earlier in this thread, the Cold War ended two decades ago and most of the communist nations fell by the early 1990s, with Cuba being one of the last hold outs. The maintaining of the embargo is for the reasons I said above - electoral politics.

Israel signed on with the US because Israel could give two shakes about Cuba, they have no interest there, and they were not going to buck the US for no reason. If it's an issue they do care about Israel will vote it's own mind but for Cuba? They go with a policy of "don't poke the bear" and "don't bite the hand that feeds you" and the US plays both roles to them.

Finally, Debbie Wasserman Schultz is a complete and total moron. Her stupidity is regularly put on display for all to see. Why anyone listens to her, much less votes for her, is an absolute mystery to me. She's a walking, talking train wreck.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 4 users Like BnW's post
16-11-2013, 11:54 AM
(16-11-2013 09:06 AM)BnW Wrote:  The US embargo to Cuba currently exists for one simple reason: Florida has enough electoral votes to possibly impact an election and the anti-Castro crowd in Cuba will all vote in a block on this one issue, and can conceivably swing an election. The US doesn't need Cuba, the embargo doesn't cost us anything except maybe access to Cuban cigars (which are easy enough to get anyway), and the politics make it a political problem. We cater to a small minority and that is the basis for the policy. This was never about pushing a democracy in Cuba, I don't care how many wiki links say it was. Castro's predecessor, Batista, was a dictator, not a democratically elected leader. The people who fled to the US after Castro desposed Batista were people who were living the good life in an oppressive, fascist state. That we allow these people to influence our policy is disgusting.

The original embargo had everything to do with the Cold War policy of containment. As was pointed out earlier in this thread, the Cold War ended two decades ago and most of the communist nations fell by the early 1990s, with Cuba being one of the last hold outs. The maintaining of the embargo is for the reasons I said above - electoral politics.

Israel signed on with the US because Israel could give two shakes about Cuba, they have no interest there, and they were not going to buck the US for no reason. If it's an issue they do care about Israel will vote it's own mind but for Cuba? They go with a policy of "don't poke the bear" and "don't bite the hand that feeds you" and the US plays both roles to them.

Finally, Debbie Wasserman Schultz is a complete and total moron. Her stupidity is regularly put on display for all to see. Why anyone listens to her, much less votes for her, is an absolute mystery to me. She's a walking, talking train wreck.

This is what is known as "Single Issue Voters" much like the gun lobby the anti -Castro sect has power far in excess of their numbers because (as opposed to how most people vote) a single yes no issue defines their politics and will decide how they vote. The sentiment of those opposed to the ban has never reached the hysteria of those in favor of it so it stays. Rusty chain and all that.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post