The world disagrees with the Cuban Embargo.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-11-2013, 12:13 PM
RE: The world disagrees with the Cuban Embargo.
(16-11-2013 11:54 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  This is what is known as "Single Issue Voters" much like the gun lobby the anti -Castro sect has power far in excess of their numbers because (as opposed to how most people vote) a single yes no issue defines their politics and will decide how they vote. The sentiment of those opposed to the ban has never reached the hysteria of those in favor of it so it stays. Rusty chain and all that.

Yes.

If there is a substantial base of voters who will commit based on a single issue, and there is no natural counterbalance, political parties lose nothing by catering to them. It's not enough to change anyone else's mind, and it locks up the crazy vote.

The same thing happens all over the world. It's an inevitable consequence of democracy.

... this is my signature!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-11-2013, 03:22 PM
Well in the midst of formulating a shorter version of BnW's post I found it. The Cuban exiles in Florida are the reason for the continued embargo and those who have commented on single issue voters and their excessive power are correct.
16-11-2013, 03:32 PM
(16-11-2013 03:22 PM)JAH Wrote:  Well in the midst of formulating a shorter version of BnW's post I found it. The Cuban exiles in Florida are the reason for the continued embargo and those who have commented on single issue voters and their excessive power are correct.

The truly ironic thing about this is the ones most vocal about being Anti-Castro and pro-embargo are also the ones most likely to violate the embargo by sending money back to relatives still living in Cuba. This is an issue that seems to be aging out as younger generations of Cuban-Americans don't have the same vitriol as their now elderly Patriarchs.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
16-11-2013, 04:20 PM
Revenant77x, actually sending money to Cuba with some limitations is allowed. Watch out I may have to lower your grade on Doc's quiz.

I must also say that I am not so sure that younger Cuban-americans are all that more sympathetic to Cuba itself.
16-11-2013, 05:33 PM
(16-11-2013 04:20 PM)JAH Wrote:  Revenant77x, actually sending money to Cuba with some limitations is allowed. Watch out I may have to lower your grade on Doc's quiz.

I must also say that I am not so sure that younger Cuban-americans are all that more sympathetic to Cuba itself.

It is allowed but they have tended to over step the limitation from time to time, thus why they are the most likely to violate the ban not that they all do. As to the younger generation being more sympathetic to Cuba it's hard to say they are however less driven by an overwhelming hatred of Castro.

On the whole it is an irrational stance kept in place by an ultra vocal minority with no real opposition. To the average American the Embargo is getting dumber and dumber the original reasons are so out of date as to be laughable but it is not very high on their list of priorities. That's where I am on this I think it is stupid and should be over turned but it's not my main concern not even one of my main concerns. Thus the loud hysterical crowd wins the argument.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
16-11-2013, 09:32 PM
The world disagrees with the Cuban Embargo.
Embargos and sanctions as well are intended to choke off a population gradually more and more of the medical and economic needs of a society.

The fact this tactic isn't listed as a human rights violation is a joke.

The original purpose supposedly was to put pressure on Cuba to change to a democracy.

Ironically, the most known worldwide and notorious prison in Cuba is under control and operation of the US military.

Which means the US is full of shit when speaking human rights in Cuba.

Next
18-11-2013, 03:26 PM
I feel like this is only an Issue for I&I because Israel voted with the US...I think if any other country had voted with the US he wouldn't give a damn either way.

Also, Embargo's being a human rights violation is absurd, you cannot force someone to trade and an Embargo is simply a statement saying "no U.S entity will trade with (Blank)"...that's not human rights, thats business. It's the federal equivalent of a small town grocery store saying "We withhold the right to refuse service to anyone".

Shock And Awe Tactics-- The "application of massive or overwhelming force" to "disarm, incapacitate, or render the enemy impotent with as few casualties to ourselves and to noncombatants as possible"
18-11-2013, 07:14 PM
(18-11-2013 03:26 PM)Likos02 Wrote:  I feel like this is only an Issue for I&I because Israel voted with the US...I think if any other country had voted with the US he wouldn't give a damn either way.

I agree. I'm hesitant to respond to any I&I post because there is always this anti-Israel component to it and, quite honestly, I've had enough of it. While I recognized up front what the game was on this one, I actually had an opinion on this one and have had discussions on it before so I decided to chime in.

Oh, one other little interesting historical fact: Cuba was the only non-Arab country that voted against the creation of Israel in 1947. I had completely forgotten that when I wrote my last post but it just came back to me. That probably played a role in why they voted against Cuba as well, althought it's a vastly different government today.

(18-11-2013 03:26 PM)Likos02 Wrote:  Also, Embargo's being a human rights violation is absurd, you cannot force someone to trade and an Embargo is simply a statement saying "no U.S entity will trade with (Blank)"...that's not human rights, thats business. It's the federal equivalent of a small town grocery store saying "We withhold the right to refuse service to anyone".

Sort of. Many embargos are global and they absolutely punish the wrong people. An embargo by a single country clearly doesn't meet the same standard. However, the US has gone to great pains to cause a lot of problems for the importation of certain goods into Cuba like pharmaceuticals that are produced in the US. But, I agree that Cuba's problems are not the result of the US embargo. That may have exacerbated the problem, but it certainly is not a proximate cause. There are plenty of countries willing to trade with Cuba and provide her goods.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
19-11-2013, 08:02 AM
(18-11-2013 03:26 PM)Likos02 Wrote:  I feel like this is only an Issue for I&I because Israel voted with the US...I think if any other country had voted with the US he wouldn't give a damn either way.

Also, Embargo's being a human rights violation is absurd, you cannot force someone to trade and an Embargo is simply a statement saying "no U.S entity will trade with (Blank)"...that's not human rights, thats business. It's the federal equivalent of a small town grocery store saying "We withhold the right to refuse service to anyone".

I am a communist, and I was against the embargo before there were only 2 countries voting in support of it.