The worst thing about being an atheist is...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-07-2015, 11:38 AM
RE: The worst thing about being an atheist is...
What drives me up the wall is the attitude that non-believers should just "get over it" and acquiesce to the cultural privilege that theists enjoy. You don't have to believe too, but the minute you expect your disbelief, or your foundation in reality to be given equal weight as their fairy tales and hogwash you're just "mad at a god" or being militant or disrespectful.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Mr. Boston's post
01-07-2015, 11:39 AM
My worst thing about being an atheist:

Entertaining the dribble that spews forth from the mouths of religious fundamentalists/extremists/sophisticated theologians. 98% of its nonsense, and that may be a generous estimate.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Cosmic Discourse's post
01-07-2015, 02:30 PM
The number of people that have decided to cut me out of their lives still hurts a little bit. I know I am better off without them, but it still stings to know that someone could toss away years worth of friendships/relationships over my religious opinions.

Thankfully I am slowly replacing those people with new ones that are not so narrow minded.
[+] 2 users Like ohio_drg's post
01-07-2015, 02:42 PM (This post was last modified: 02-07-2015 05:23 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(01-07-2015 11:19 AM)devilsadvoc8 Wrote:  To me there are two things: (1) the voluntary censorship in certain social gatherings where I just grin and walk away b/c I don't want to cause a shit storm and (2) when I express an "atheist" thought the look of utter horror that would be similar if I had just admitted to being in the KKK or a Nazi.

In the first instance many times I'll choose not to rock the boat despite the stupidity being discussed.
In the second instance I am amazed at the horrible reputation and stereotype that is associated with the term atheist.

I think # 2 is interesting, as before we were born, our parents and grandparents ONLY heard about in the context of "atheistic communism", and they were THE arch-enemies.

In liberal groups of Christians # 1 is STILL necessary as every single one has some "nuttier-than-a-fruitcake" personal agenda-concept about what their religion is all about. Not one agrees, even tho they say they do. If you let 'em "get started" or wound up, you're doomed. Weeping

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
02-07-2015, 08:13 AM
I'd rather have the grapes. Grapes are delicious. What would I do with virgins? Play magic the gathering?
[+] 4 users Like natachan's post
02-07-2015, 08:39 AM
For me worst is to pretend that I am one of them. Otherwise they would try to show me what they think is right path. And if I am able to get myself out then I have fear of blasphemy.
02-07-2015, 11:41 AM
(01-07-2015 08:03 AM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  
(01-07-2015 07:31 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  I saw that before. What if 72 grapes is a metaphor for 36 men? Consider

You can hardly call it Heaven if it's 36 men with grapes.

Now if by "grapes" you really mean "grapefruits," I could see the reasoning behind the myth.

I think you missed the joke. Consider

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
02-07-2015, 11:44 AM
The worst thing about being an atheist is...
It bothers me that religious people can speak about it openly and it's no big deal, but they look at me funny if I mention that I don't believe in God. In our house, my daughter and I do not believe, my boyfriend has raised his son as Christian, so every night we say grace at dinner, prayers with him at bedtime. I'm ok to oblige, but I don't pretend to believe when his son asks me why...when I try to explain my beliefs I am hushed like I'm telling the kid there's no Santa Claus. I don't like feeling like my beliefs have to be shoved in the closet because they are different than someone else's.
[+] 1 user Likes Alysanne's post
02-07-2015, 02:01 PM
(02-07-2015 11:41 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  
(01-07-2015 08:03 AM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  You can hardly call it Heaven if it's 36 men with grapes.

Now if by "grapes" you really mean "grapefruits," I could see the reasoning behind the myth.

I think you missed the joke. Consider

No. No, I didn't. Big Grin

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
02-07-2015, 02:55 PM
There's no down side to atheism.

It's awesome!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Mark Fulton's post