Their Damned if I do .. I'm Damned if I don't - My Story

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-11-2011, 03:25 PM
RE: Their Damned if I do .. I'm Damned if I don't - My Story
Hi Andrew, welcome to The Thinking Atheist forums! I have just recently watched that video series you linked, and it was really really good.

With regard to "how it all came to be", there's no harm is saying "I don't know." Humanity is still reaching for those answers and I'm confident that some day we'll have a good idea of what conditions were like at the time of the Big Bang (or just before it). As for "why", then the most succinct answer is "because it could." The conditions were right, and it simply happened.

I share an experience with the Church of Christ. When I was a Christian myself, I went to a church service with some friends from work one Wednesday night. The service was alright, nothing really special that I hadn't seen before but it was nice and the people were friendly (it was actually a little unsettling how friendly they were). After the service, during which I sang praise and worshiped God with them, I was chatting with an elder member and the person I went there with and they asked me if I'd like to get "saved." I told them that I was saved already, and they told me, "No," I was not saved. I was a bit taken aback- after having worshiped with them, and sat through their service, they were now telling me that I wasn't even a Christian. I asked them a bunch of questions about what would lead them to believe that I wasn't, and I got the same sort of answers about the baptism. I also asked if they thought I was their brother in Christ, because there are lots of different denominations of Christianity and that many agree on the central tenants- so I would see them as brothers and sisters in Christ. They also said, "No." I was courteous, but made my way out of there and never went back. I thought it took some real balls to tell another Christian that they were not saved.

That whole experience was weird. I didn't know anything about how they treat women. This church environment sounds worse than I thought even at the time I was there. O.o

Good to have you here, hopefully you find this place as interesting as I am so far. Big Grin

Godzilla Kitten, Directed by J.J. Abrams
[Image: Kineoprojectfinished3_zps79916ea4.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like kineo's post
17-11-2011, 07:46 PM
Welcome, I'm new here and a recent De-Convert myself. Obviously I can't fathom the depths of your personal hurt, but I think I share a slice of your pain. This place will begin to feel like home to you, I think.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 3 users Like Erxomai's post
17-11-2011, 08:13 PM (This post was last modified: 19-11-2011 03:46 PM by Lilith Pride.)
Well I never bought into the whole religion thing, not that I didn't believe those who did were lucky. I was pretty envious as a kid of christians because life was easier for them. Not that events always went in their favor, but because they always had an excuse to why bad things were ok. And because everyone respected them unlike me. So I'm a bit different. I learned everything about the world on my own really, didn't have much of a family outside of cats. The people were their but they didn't really teach me or even spend that much time with me.

Anyway.... (I'm too talkative recently)

The biggest hurdle for someone who is raised with "knowledge" is understanding that of all things knowledge is something we don't have. As much as people talk about the truth and the correct path every time they test it they find errors. humans don't know and in order to escape religions false promise that's what you have to come to term with. There's nothing wrong or weak about not knowing. Not knowing is the truth. To say you really have an answer is just wishful thinking. Just like the rest of it. When you accept that you don't really know the answer, then the questions will make more sense. You're used to having an answer ready for things, but without a presupposed answer you can really learn something. That's how the scientific method amazed the world. People started finding out that things happened contrary to their expectations. And eventually we found out we don't really know the answer, but we can find it.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
[+] 3 users Like Lilith Pride's post
17-11-2011, 08:15 PM
I hope your concerns fade over time.. which they will.

Welcome to the forums.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. -- Voltaire
[+] 3 users Like ddrew's post
18-11-2011, 06:55 PM
My fellow atheists pretty much covered it. Here's a pair of definitions that covers all other concerns:

Theist: Agency.
Atheist: Agent.

Welcome to the Company. Cool

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post