Their removal from religion quote

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-09-2015, 11:10 PM
Their removal from religion quote
Hi all.

When I make reference to religion lately, I get
" That's why I don't believe in religion. I believe in a relationship with the one true God, our Lord Jesus!!!"

Anyone else get this removal of religion stance?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-09-2015, 11:34 PM
RE: Their removal from religion quote
I quite often hear that church is bad, clergy corrupted but god is great. Same bullshit I would say.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
03-09-2015, 11:41 PM
I've heard that line "I fully agree with you, religion is BAAAAD. But I don't follow a religion... I just follow Jesus.... And go to church, and listen to the pastor, and pay tithes..."

Christians try to redefine the word to mean 'slavish unthinking obedience to meaningless *ritual*', and then claim that they don't do that because while they follow rituals it's the magic Jesus essence that gives them meaning. That way they can say 'Islam is a religion', 'Hinduism is a religion' - because those people just do the rituals and *think* they're going to be OK, but we *know* we'll be OK 'cos we worship the True God™ and we are not a religion... except for tax purposes in the USA. Then we definitely are a religion.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 5 users Like morondog's post
03-09-2015, 11:42 PM
There are millions of people who would say allah is the one true god. I don't believe them either.
[+] 3 users Like pablo's post
03-09-2015, 11:45 PM
I said something similar when I was deconverting. "I'm more spiritual than religious." Which was my modification to the youth pastors in more liberal churches that think that it's the hymns and the rituals that are religion, not the belief. They don't see that the belief itself is the religion, because to them it's truth.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
04-09-2015, 04:47 AM
I think a lot of people dislike churches rather than religion; who could blame them? If you're not someone who fits in with your church's social group, the benefits to church going are few, plus you're expected to pay for the "privilege" of attending. As well, there's greater knowledge of the way churches misuse their power and money.

In my experience, people who say that they are religious but don't attend church tend to be more live and let live. They aren't trying to deny others the right to marry or use birth control, for example--I'm happy about that. Some of them may be transitioning to an atheist viewpoint, but more seem to be just anti-church for themselves.
04-09-2015, 05:11 AM
There's nothing more sanctimonious than somebody claiming to be "spiritual" rather than "religious".

When some putz claims to be "in a relationship" with "god" ---- ask the questions that any person in a relationship would know about their partner:

1. What's God's birthday?
2. What's color are God's eyes?
3. What's God's favorite food?
4. What's God's color?
5. What's God's home address, phone number, or email addy?
When they come up dry on all of these, it's pretty evident they're not in a relationship -- they've got an invisible friend.

There's a difference.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 3 users Like onlinebiker's post
04-09-2015, 05:52 AM
Dammit Nurse, If I did neg reps, you'd get one for posting that vid. Angry
Big Grin

I used to run into that frequently - the OP. I figured either a parallel between picking up smoking lights on the way to quitting, or a parallel to myself - i.e. nutbag. Big Grin

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like houseofcantor's post
04-09-2015, 07:55 AM
I even get the "organized religion is bullshit" from apatheists, who somehow fail to go the extra step to conclude that belief in a supernatural sky daddy is also bullshit.
04-09-2015, 08:00 AM
(04-09-2015 05:52 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Dammit Nurse, If I did neg reps, you'd get one for posting that vid. Angry
Big Grin

I used to run into that frequently - the OP. I figured either a parallel between picking up smoking lights on the way to quitting, or a parallel to myself - i.e. nutbag. Big Grin

Agreed, I couldn't stand that foolish video when it was making it's first go arounds and was posted here as well.

It's a tactic of remaining connected to pseudo believes and supernatural beings. Though in some regard it may be a "stepping stone" towards more disbelief. It's just a strike against organized religion and it's commonly stated by college going folks who still belief in their personal understanding of god. It's some way that is used to view themselves as superior and separate from the bad religion, it's just a shady as a no true christian would of done that type of argument.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 2 users Like ClydeLee's post