Theism and astronomy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-07-2016, 11:56 AM
RE: Theism and astronomy
Praise the lord. Hallelujah! Praise him and his holy priest/prophet/messiah Fatbaldhobbit who revealed the truth to us (or maybe you are even related to him? Are you his....son maybe?).

Boobs

Lets follow Fatbaldhobbits example and worship boobs!

Well, actually sand is used to make computer chips too, but whats the point of worshipping your PC or smartphone....or watch, or TV, or...or...or

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Deesse23's post
19-07-2016, 12:36 PM
(19-07-2016 10:59 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(19-07-2016 09:05 AM)Reltzik Wrote:  If it's a logarithmic scale.... STILL no. Planck length is on the order of 10^-36 meters and the diameter of the universe is only around 10^27 or 10^28 meters. The "center" would be on the order of 10^-5 or 10^-4 meters, about the size of a largish dust mite. That's the observable universe, btw. The present universe (the one that might hypothetically be observable if we could see it in real time, without worrying about speed-of-light delay or inverse-square problems) may well be

Here is a little game that helps put into perspective the size of things.

http://htwins.net/scale2/

Human beings begin their existence at conception. A human zygote(the product of conception) also happens to be the size of a dust mite so it is at the center.

So, logarithmic scale. You could have just SAID that without forcing me to navigate to another site and interact an ap. What the fuck was the point of that? It would have been less work for you and less work for me.

And the only way you can have humanity in the middle is by going back to zygotes. The variation of human size from fertilized egg to maturity means that they span about six percent of the scale, BARELY brushing the center. That's... not that precise a measure. If you're doing target practice with a shotgun, it's not that big a surprise if one of the pellets hits the 10 ring. I'd say that the size change, moving off of the supposedly special spot in the center, explains why you religious fruits care more about protecting zygotes than newborns and children, but honestly I think this chain of, erm, logic has exactly zero impact on that. (Or for that matter that logic has anything to do with your argument.)

You haven't addressed the fact that the universe is expanding, resulting in a nonconstant-scale. And I'm still waiting for any explanation about why being on the center of the scale (specifically logarithmic scale rather than any other scale) is a special measure indicative of some grand intentionality, and why this specialness doesn't also apply to dust mites and a trillion other things.

And by "waiting", I mean there's no chance in hell you have anything remotely logical for this that can stand up to even a smidgen of critical thinking.

Seriously. Stop. You're just making yourself, and by position your religion, look dumber. Know when you're in over your head. Know when you're doing more harm than good. Step down and let someone competent take over.

Because people like you are why people like us point at your religion and LAUGH. Well, one of the big reasons.
[+] 3 users Like Reltzik's post
19-07-2016, 02:53 PM
Fellow readers and posters,

The OP question on this thread has gone the merry way of many OP questions on web forums. This is not a complaint, as I've been around the web long enough to witness countless digressions. Just an observation. Drinking Beverage

D.

PS - Just to be clear, I don't use the word 'countless' to imply an infinity of digressions, just noting so many of them that I haven't bothered counting.
19-07-2016, 03:03 PM
(19-07-2016 02:25 AM)Dworkin Wrote:  Hi,

This is a very basic question, not much beyond third grade, but it has puzzled me for many years. What do theists have to say about astronomy?

When a theist tells us that God created the world, what does the word ‘world’ denote? Are they talking about the planet Earth or the entire universe?

It would seem fairly obvious to me that the universe exists and is very large, maybe infinite. The Earth OTOH is very small in comparison, resembling little more than a lifeboat in a deeply inhospitable sea of vacuum and physical extremes instantly fatal to organic life. So, if God created the ‘world’ for the soul purpose of giving life to humanity, why all this other stuff?

D.

Apparently this "God" fella is fond of Rube Goldberg sorts of things...............

Just think of the "Noah's Ark" story for instance...... Why go through all the convolutions that this story entails to get rid of some people who are pissing him off???? Wouldn't it be a fuck-all lot more efficient to simply take those people he wanted "smitten" - and simply toss them off into space???? But noooooo... For some fucked up reason he's gotta have some drunk build him a boat, so the drunk can round up a whole bunch of animals, and then flood the planet (with water he has to create, and then dispose of -- out of thin air)................

Don't even get me started with all the twisted DNA bullshit that goes on with the idea of 2 people populating the world --- especially when one's DNA is exactly the same as the other's - due to the fact that the one is essentially a transgendered individual, cloned from rib tissue from the other....................

Any "supreme being" that uses those sort of game plans should be designated "universal idiot" .... (sort of an omnipotent village idiot)....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
19-07-2016, 03:08 PM
(19-07-2016 02:46 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  

This is a very basic question, not much beyond third grade, but it has puzzled me for many years. What do theists have to say about astronomy?

When a theist tells us that God created the world, what does the word ‘world’ denote? Are they talking about the planet Earth or the entire universe?

It would seem fairly obvious to me that the universe exists and is very large, maybe infinite. The Earth OTOH is very small in comparison, resembling little more than a lifeboat in a deeply inhospitable sea of vacuum and physical extremes instantly fatal to organic life. So, if God created the ‘world’ for the soul purpose of giving life to humanity, why all this other stuff?

D.

On the scale where the observable universe is at the big end, and the Planck length is at the small end, humans are right in the middle and the earth is on the large side.

To say we are very small is wrong. Human existence is the center on size scale bounded by the largest size we can know about and the smallest size we can know about.

Why do you think that is?

Of course, that's not what was asked.

The Bible says nothing about the creation of a "universe".
In Genesis 1, the deity is "moving over the waters" ... which already exist ... (as it's taken straight from Babylonian mythology .. and the Babylonian creation myth). The Hebrews thought the "universe" (of course they knew nothing about galaxies or anything other than stars) was "capped" with the firmament ... you can Google the Hebrew concept of the universe.

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...other-Look
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...#pid160188

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
19-07-2016, 05:37 PM

D.

Read it all in Genesis. The sun and moon were both created to give light to the earth and the stars too. They have no reality of their own, just to give light to earth.
20-07-2016, 01:58 AM
(19-07-2016 10:09 AM)Dworkin Wrote:  Theists are not comfortable with anything pre-existing God's man because it challenges the omnipotence, so they tend to be quiet on the subject of a material universe.

As a theist, I am not bothered one bit that things have existed before man has come into existence.
20-07-2016, 02:14 AM
(19-07-2016 11:54 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  If you notice on that site humans are 10^0, on the small end it is 10^-35, and on the other approximately 10^26.6
You decided to use a human ovum at 10^-3.5 becuase it suits your weird narrative.

That is called the Texas sharp shooter's fallacy. I could choose the DNA molecule instead of the Ovum too.

(19-07-2016 11:54 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  Nice try. Besides, why would we want to be in the middle anyway? What’s so special about the middle? I suppose that a few hundred years ago you would have believed in a Geocentric universe and put DaVinci in a cell. Maybe you still do, how medieval of you.

We can't be in any other place except around the middle. There is a goldilocks zone on the scale of the universe. Around the small end, any object would have only a few atoms to make it up. It wouldn't have enough atoms to generate the complexity needed for life. On the large end, the finite speed of light comes into play. It would take too long for information to pass from one spot in an organism to another.

You brain can compute the sum 2+2 faster at its current size than it would if it was the size of Jupiter's orbit. The reason being is in a large brain, it would take longer for information to pass from neuron to neuron. It might take hours for a brain that big to come up with a solution to simple problems you can do in blink of the eye....with your tiny tiny brain.
20-07-2016, 02:51 AM
If a multiverse dynamic were true, that would equate a lot more things, especially shift the notion of those alleged middle ground size dynamic but it is always been something I've figured would go to nothing special, but could lead to interesting multitudes of god topics. A variation of a prime mover down to universes with their own prime gods or so, and some fool would like to proclaim that Earth fits square in this middleground where in the past various gods were able to part in and then phase out over time.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
20-07-2016, 02:53 AM
(19-07-2016 02:25 AM)Dworkin Wrote:  So, if God created the ‘world’ for the soul purpose of giving life to humanity, why all this other stuff?

D.

Boredom?