Theism is slowing the progress of science, more than anyone knows..

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-01-2013, 10:33 PM

Neil Tyson talks about intelligent design, and how much it kills scientific progress. If you aren't upset by this, you probably don't understand the impact.

I remember when I was young, thinking how lucky I was to be born here at this time. Now realizing that we could be so much farther along than we are now! If any theists that advocate intelligent design or creationism are reading this, watch the video, get off your high horse, stop the steady stream of shit coming from your mouths, and let us make some progress.

This progress could save us from inevitable doom some day. But even if it doesn't, scientific progress is directly linked to longer lifespans and higher standard of living.

Your thoughts?

2.5 billion seconds total
1.67 billion seconds conscious

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-01-2013, 12:01 AM
RE: Theism is slowing the progress of science, more than anyone knows..
Spot on.

But begging theists to stop the steady stream of shit coming from their mouths because science could save us from intevitable doom is a waste of your own breath - most theists in the western world want doom, immediate doom, revelation, Armageddon, thy kingdom come, as soon as possible.

Telling them the shit coming out of their mouths might bring about The End of Days soon is motivation to keep it up rather than stop it.

As for me, yeah, I've read about a lot of recent scientific advances and it seems a higher percentage of them have been foreign research teams than ever before. Now, I'm sort of a wishful one-worlder so that's not so bad in my opinion, but I do live in the U.S. and at one time almost every scientific and technological breakthrough came from here. That one time wasn't even that long ago, almost within my lifetime. In just a few short decades we've gone from vastly outclassing just about all other countries combined (heck, pre-WWII, most eminent non U.S. scientists of any real caliber emigrated here to work on real science) to rapidly being overtaken and left behind.

The Christians are all about those "Left Behind" books and movies. Looks like they've ground our progress to a near stand still and they're getting a whole different kind of "left behind" reality.

Like I said, I'm kind of a one-worlder so I'm good as long as somebody is doing the science and the world is a better place for it. But, alas, I have way too many roots here to just up and move to, say, Germany, so (mainly by choice) I'm grounded here where it's regress instead of progress and all I can do is sit and watch it self-destruct and hope it doesn't spread out of our rapidly-becoming-dark-ages country and ruin the remaining good ones, too.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
08-01-2013, 12:23 AM
(07-01-2013 10:33 PM)Aspchizo Wrote:  ... scientific progress is directly linked to longer lifespans and higher standard of living.

Yea - oh yea. Incentive enough for anyone right there. Thumbsup

Oh and... Neil deGrasse Tyson's got it all going on. Wink

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
08-01-2013, 12:56 AM
(08-01-2013 12:01 AM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  But begging theists to stop the steady stream of shit coming from their mouths because science could save us from intevitable doom is a waste of your own breath - most theists in the western world want doom, immediate doom, revelation, Armageddon, thy kingdom come, as soon as possible.

As for me, yeah, I've read about a lot of recent scientific advances and it seems a higher percentage of them have been foreign research teams than ever before. Now, I'm sort of a wishful one-worlder so that's not so bad in my opinion, but I do live in the U.S. and at one time almost every scientific and technological breakthrough came from here. That one time wasn't even that long ago, almost within my lifetime. In just a few short decades we've gone from vastly outclassing just about all other countries combined (heck, pre-WWII, most eminent non U.S. scientists of any real caliber emigrated here to work on real science) to rapidly being overtaken and left behind.
Yeah, I don't really expect this to change any theists minds, I just felt the need to post it. Divine Intervention!? Ohmy (Jokes)
With or without my help, I'm convinced religion is falling. Consciousness' are being raised every day.

I don't think there was any point in history when every scientific and technological breakthrough came from the USA. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong (not with an opinion but with the reason they believe it).

08-01-2013, 01:36 AM
(08-01-2013 12:56 AM)Aspchizo Wrote:  I don't think there was any point in history when every scientific and technological breakthrough came from the USA. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong (not with an opinion but with the reason they believe it).

Weeellll... there was that whole walking on the Moon thing. That put us out front for quite a long time - from about '65 to just very recently.

After the Moon shots, one of my favorite things of course; SkyLab... damn, I wish that fucker would have hit my house when it came down. Then the Space Shuttles - those only just retired. That about takes care of the NASA biggies that most people think about - I didn't even touch on all the satellites we have floating around up there.

Then of course all the IBM crap - supercomputers and such - they profited a lot from a bunch of the NASA technology. NASA technology also streamlined the medical equipment industry as well as biological and geological research - again, courtesy of the Moon shot "stimulus package". Much of the technologies used for the Moon shots continue to be used today in many different areas of manufacturing & communications.

Really, when you think about it, NASA technology has contributed to just about everything from pens that write upside down to MRI machines to ceramics and cold fusion ... and the thing you are sitting in front of right now.

Americans used to aspire to be Astronauts; now we go on TV shows like - The World's Biggest Loser.
No wonder no one remembers SkyLab, huh? Dodgy

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
08-01-2013, 01:49 AM (This post was last modified: 08-01-2013 01:54 AM by Adenosis.)
(08-01-2013 01:36 AM)kim Wrote:  
(08-01-2013 12:56 AM)Aspchizo Wrote:  I don't think there was any point in history when every scientific and technological breakthrough came from the USA. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong (not with an opinion but with the reason they believe it).

Weeellll... there was that whole walking on the Moon thing. That put us out front for quite a long time - from about '65 to just very recently.

After the Moon shots, one of my favorite things of course; SkyLab... damn, I wish that fucker would have hit my house when it came down. Then the Space Shuttles - those only just retired. That about takes care of the NASA biggies that most people think about - I didn't even touch on all the satellites we have floating around up there.

Then of course all the IBM crap - supercomputers and such - they profited a lot from a bunch of the NASA technology. NASA technology also streamlined the medical equipment industry as well as biological and geological research - again, courtesy of the Moon shot "stimulus package". Much of the technologies used for the Moon shots continue to be used today in many different areas of manufacturing & communications.

Really, when you think about it, NASA technology has contributed to just about everything from pens that write upside down to MRI machines to ceramics and cold fusion ... and the thing you are sitting in front of right now.

Americans used to aspire to be Astronauts; now we go on TV shows like - The World's Biggest Loser.
No wonder no one remembers SkyLab, huh? Dodgy
So your saying there were no scientific or technological breakthroughs at this time anywhere other than the USA...?

I never doubted that a large portion of current science is tied in with Americas history, but that it was the only place in which there were scientific or technological breakthroughs at any point.

[+] 1 user Likes Adenosis's post
08-01-2013, 02:39 AM (This post was last modified: 08-01-2013 02:55 AM by Vera.)
I don't know about religion, but making science a competition between nations may have worked for a while (then again, we can never be sure if cooperation wouldn't've been better right from the start), but I would think we were past that stage. Obviously I'm too stupid to know better.

We have people (well, not literally people, but damn close) on Mars, yet we squabble over which "nation" put them there? Humanity put them there. All the knowledge that all the people, who have ever lived, have been gathering through the ages, put them there. All the nameless people doing all the menial jobs that others need to do their highly-intellectual jobs, put them there.

"Science has made us gods even before we are worthy of being men.", Jean Rostand.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
08-01-2013, 05:51 AM
Progress is overrated.
Morality is contingent
People are contradictory.

KimIloveyou

08-01-2013, 07:02 AM
(08-01-2013 12:01 AM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  As for me, yeah, I've read about a lot of recent scientific advances and it seems a higher percentage of them have been foreign research teams than ever before. Now, I'm sort of a wishful one-worlder so that's not so bad in my opinion, but I do live in the U.S. and at one time almost every scientific and technological breakthrough came from here. That one time wasn't even that long ago, almost within my lifetime. In just a few short decades we've gone from vastly outclassing just about all other countries combined (heck, pre-WWII, most eminent non U.S. scientists of any real caliber emigrated here to work on real science) to rapidly being overtaken and left behind.

Sorry, that is just flat out wrong. Science has come from many places, and the influx of some scientists to the U.S. in the early mid-20th century was due to political instability in Europe.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
08-01-2013, 12:14 PM
(08-01-2013 07:02 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(08-01-2013 12:01 AM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  As for me, yeah, I've read about a lot of recent scientific advances and it seems a higher percentage of them have been foreign research teams than ever before. Now, I'm sort of a wishful one-worlder so that's not so bad in my opinion, but I do live in the U.S. and at one time almost every scientific and technological breakthrough came from here. That one time wasn't even that long ago, almost within my lifetime. In just a few short decades we've gone from vastly outclassing just about all other countries combined (heck, pre-WWII, most eminent non U.S. scientists of any real caliber emigrated here to work on real science) to rapidly being overtaken and left behind.

Sorry, that is just flat out wrong. Science has come from many places, and the influx of some scientists to the U.S. in the early mid-20th century was due to political instability in Europe.

Especially those sexy Jews and Nazi scientists. There was quite a great brain-drain in Europe after the world wars. Lots of wealthy educated people left for the western hemisphere. It is much easier to be busy scienceing when you have a lab that isn't a pile of rubble, and you aren't being imprisoned by commi-nazis.

If something can be destroyed by the truth, it might be worth destroying.

[Image: ZcC2kGl.png]