Theism vs. Theism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-02-2013, 07:55 AM
Theism vs. Theism
I enjoyed this debate. Particularly the polite and respectful approach.

Interesting (and admirable) that the muslim (Shabir) was more knowledgeable of the bible than the christians.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
09-02-2013, 08:11 AM
RE: Theism vs. Theism
I watched 15 minutes of it and it was interesting, im surprised I even lasted that long.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post
09-02-2013, 08:21 AM
(09-02-2013 08:11 AM)bemore Wrote:  I watched 15 minutes of it and it was interesting, im surprised I even lasted that long.

The second half is better, when he gets the second christian (Emanuel) reversing his stance about the bible being the word of god.

Awesome. And very polite.

09-02-2013, 08:37 AM
Yeah, that was refreshingly different.
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
09-02-2013, 10:23 AM
Ok I watched the rest of it.

I think the muslim dude appeared "friendly" but in a passive aggressive and semi-condescending way. I think the title of the video is wrong as it should be "Theist vs 2 half educated believers"

I found it quite amusing how the young black gentleman had no idea that the muslim was using leading questions in his arguement, that both he and the white guy were in no way any match for having a conversation about the foundations of their beliefs. That they were still sheep but they were being watched over by "allah" momentarily.

The black dude had so much energetic "blind faith" , probably from years of indocrination that nothing will probably sway him and the recently converted white guy appeared to be semi-hostile/defensive over his faith, which is understandable as for whatever reason he needs religion to define how to live his life.

The very subject (religion) is still bollocks though, thats why I dont watch these sort of videos primarily lol.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
[+] 3 users Like bemore's post
09-02-2013, 11:14 AM
I'm trying to figure out why I would want to watch this. Consider

Huh

Nope. No reason to spend timeline on that. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
09-02-2013, 11:48 AM
(09-02-2013 10:23 AM)bemore Wrote:  ...
both he and the white guy were in no way any match for having a conversation about the foundations of their beliefs.

Exactly.

I can see why Islam might be gaining traction in Europe.

Christianists are and christianty is weak and seems ridiculous in comparison to the 'evidence' based, Islam.

The 'sheep' as you put it, are probably waking up to the ideas (or at least vaguely aware) of empiricism and evidence-based reasoning which makes the Islam argument appear more reasonable.

Do me a favour, brother... get down to Speakers' Corner and sort it out.

Cheers.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
09-02-2013, 12:31 PM
Seems like the christians are taking their usual approach of trying to be louder than whoever is arguing against them.

Obama promised you change. Reach in your pocket, feel those coins? There's your change...
09-02-2013, 12:39 PM
(09-02-2013 10:23 AM)bemore Wrote:  I think the muslim dude appeared "friendly" but in a passive aggressive and semi-condescending way. I think the title of the video is wrong as it should be "Theist vs 2 half educated believers"

I found it quite amusing how the young black gentleman had no idea that the muslim was using leading questions in his arguement, that both he and the white guy were in no way any match for having a conversation about the foundations of their beliefs. That they were still sheep but they were being watched over by "allah" momentarily.

I don't agree. The passive aggressiveness and semi-condescension are things that I think you put on him, not things that he brought. Couldn't anyone who debates his point-of-view in a friendly manner be labeled passive aggressive? Couldn't anyone with confidence in his argument be labeled condescending? I agree with DLJ that he was incredibly polite: allowing his opponents to finish what they were saying before he spoke (even when the favor wasn't returned), referring to his opponents as "brother", and speaking with a kind tone that was free of anger.

Nor do I think he used leading questions. He did ask "Option A or Option B?" a few times, but they struck me as legitimate dilemmas. The fact that he was a Muslim doesn't mean that you have to find fault in his argument, nor does the fact that he opposes Christianity mean that you have to agree. But I'd cut the guy some slack. I wish my debate opponents could be as knowledgeable about the topic and as respectful in presenting that knowledge.

It's a good video, DLJ. Thanks for posting it.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
[+] 2 users Like Starcrash's post
09-02-2013, 01:13 PM
(09-02-2013 12:39 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  
(09-02-2013 10:23 AM)bemore Wrote:  I think the muslim dude appeared "friendly" but in a passive aggressive and semi-condescending way. I think the title of the video is wrong as it should be "Theist vs 2 half educated believers"

I don't agree. The passive aggressiveness and semi-condescension are things that I think you put on him, not things that he brought. Couldn't anyone who debates his point-of-view in a friendly manner be labeled passive aggressive? Couldn't anyone with confidence in his argument be labeled condescending? I agree with DLJ that he was incredibly polite: allowing his opponents to finish what they were saying before he spoke (even when the favor wasn't returned), referring to his opponents as "brother", and speaking with a kind tone that was free of anger.

Nor do I think he used leading questions. He did ask "Option A or Option B?" a few times, but they struck me as legitimate dilemmas. The fact that he was a Muslim doesn't mean that you have to find fault in his argument, nor does the fact that he opposes Christianity mean that you have to agree. But I'd cut the guy some slack. I wish my debate opponents could be as knowledgeable about the topic and as respectful in presenting that knowledge.

It's a good video, DLJ. Thanks for posting it.
His religion is Islam.

He using using his own interpretation of Christianity to nullify their beliefs and back up his own.

Leading questions are where you lead people to certain answers, I used to do it in sales and in (my opinion) I recognise him doing that in particular to the young black guy, wether the muslim guy was doing it consciously or not.

So I say nothing.

-Bemore.