Theist Admin Discussion (Split)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-10-2013, 08:47 AM
RE: Theist Admin Discussion (Split)
Skippy, I give you The Official Cannabis Thread.

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...bis-Thread

So many cats, so few good recipes.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Stark Raving's post
10-10-2013, 09:01 AM
(10-10-2013 08:47 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Skippy, I give you The Official Cannabis Thread.

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...bis-Thread

^^ Yup ^^ raison d'être if there ever was one. Thumbsup

And once you've sufficiently toked up... you may want to shuffle on over to this thread and celebrate this raison d'être. Wink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
10-10-2013, 12:38 PM
I haven’t participated in the forum lately, so my two cents here may be worth even less than that. But here it is anyway.

I agree with the evidently tiny minority that thinks there is a problem with having a Christian administrator for an atheist forum.

Just to be clear, I have no problem with KC personally. Far from it. Jeremy is smart, affable, and engaging. He doesn’t preach or try to convert. He’s a fair, conscientious, competent administrator. He and I have had some great discussions about language. And needless to say, he’s the most popular guy around here. So it’s not at all a personal thing. I’d feel the same about any theist in this position.

My problem is the elephant in the room that no one seems to be mentioning: the conflict of interest inherent this situation.

TTA is not just a place for atheists and agnostics to come together and shoot the breeze. It’s a place that actively promotes non-belief. It says that religious belief in general, and Christianity in particular, is not a good thing. Here’s how Seth puts it in the first question of the TTA FAQ: “[A]fter three decades inside Christianity, it was only when I rejected the indoctrination of my youth and began thinking for myself that I saw superstitious nonsense for what it really is.” That’s not a neutral statement, not one that says, “Believe what you want—it’s all good.” It’s a statement that calls Christianity superstitious nonsense! That’s what the vast majority of us here believe. And—importantly—that’s the position this forum advocates for. I don’t see how you can deny that.

But KC is a committed Christian. He doesn’t take his religious beliefs lightly. Belief in Christianity is at the core of his being. Jesus is Lord. Those who reject Him are going to hell. And so on.

So putting two and two together . . .

As an admin here, KC is working diligently . . . to promote the welfare of a forum . . . that actively advocates against his own core beliefs.

Sorry, but I don’t get it. It’s like a person who passionately believes that marriage is between one man and one woman working tirelessly on behalf of an organization promoting same-sex marriage. Does that make sense?

Jeremy: No offense, I hope. You know I think you’re a great guy. But I just don’t understand your motivations in this regard.

Needless to say, if I’ve misrepresented anything, I’m happy to be corrected.

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
[+] 1 user Likes cufflink's post
10-10-2013, 12:56 PM
I'll dare to guess it has something to do with this: "I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."
Voltaire

Wink

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
10-10-2013, 01:10 PM
(10-10-2013 12:56 PM)nach_in Wrote:  I'll dare to guess it has something to do with this: "I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."
Voltaire

Wink

In a democracy.
However, as we have been advised... this is not a democracy.

This atheist forum is open and tolerant because it's run by a theist.

Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
10-10-2013, 01:14 PM
(10-10-2013 01:10 PM)kim Wrote:  This atheist forum is open and tolerant because it's run by a theist.

Incorrect.

This forum can be reasonably open and tolerant. It is also run by a theist (and an atheist I think). I don't think the two have much of a bearing on each other, they are largely independent of each other.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
10-10-2013, 01:15 PM
You do know that's not a quote from me personally, right? Dodgy

10-10-2013, 01:16 PM
(10-10-2013 01:15 PM)kim Wrote:  You do know that's not a quote from me personally, right? Dodgy

My bad then. Smile

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
10-10-2013, 02:00 PM
Rainbow RE: Theist Admin Discussion (Split)
I may be naive but I do not question KS's Christianity.
After all there are literally hundreds of different types of Christianity.
Frankly atheism and Theism need one another to grow.
Debate would be rather limited if we just had politics, law etc to consider.

Maybe K.C has learned some new options via atheism; likewise here, maybe some of us have lost some of our extreme atheistic certainties..................
[+] 2 users Like Mr Woof's post
10-10-2013, 02:06 PM
He's one of 0 to 2 people who're actually interested in doing the job...

I don't really care about his reasons. He's a good enough guy, let him have at it. Drinking Beverage
[+] 5 users Like morondog's post