Theist Admin Discussion (Split)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-10-2013, 08:02 AM
RE: Theist Admin Discussion (Split)
(06-10-2013 09:47 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(06-10-2013 04:06 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  This place isn't for everyone. Perhaps we need to accept that finally. There are many different atheist forums out there with many different focuses. Perhaps this place is a little fiery for a new atheist who still struggles when faced with religion. Perhaps it's better they leave and find a more heavily moderated forum. We always act like this. People worry about losing members because of the way the forum is or putting people off. News flash: That will always happen. Whatever way the forum is run will put someone off. All we can do is decide what kind of forum we want to be and hopefully we will attract the type of people who fit in with our vision, and I like a vision that promotes free-speech as much as possible and would accept a Christian Admin. I'm sure many here do (and many of them probs joined partly for the free-speech part).

What? The one rule that has come directly from Seth? Yeah, he's a real power-hungry son of a bitch. Dodgy

We've missed you too man. You should hang around. Smile

No hard feelings by the way, I just think you have your head up your arse on this one. Big Grin

You're right Tim.

This place isn't for me with fuckers like you around.

Peace out, gang.

Splitting the thread into a "discussion" was pointless. There was never a discussion, just one side dismissing the other and calling their concerns and criticisms "stupid" or "silly."

I seem to remember a forum that was so quick to put a blanket ban on a single subject out of fear of any one person on the forum getting so distraught over it, that it started this whole cascade. Now, you have a situation where people are telling you they have a problem and it just gets ignored and people are told that "this may not be the forum for you."

That line was once used to help keep moderation to a minimum because of the people who wanted a heavy-handed set of mods and FT members. It is now being used to say that "if you disagree with a theist running an atheist forum and don't like how those in charge are handling it, then fuck off."

Off is the general direction in which I shall fuck.

Evolve

Smartass
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/James_Beard2
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
07-10-2013, 08:04 AM (This post was last modified: 07-10-2013 08:38 AM by Hughsie.)
(07-10-2013 08:01 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  And, I appreciate you sharing this burden with me.

Thanks. Smile

Speaking of that how do you like the wording in the CH? I posted a new title for it a few days ago I think.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
07-10-2013, 08:06 AM
Why are people still "debating" about this? WTF is wrong with you? Go read some posts on the forum, who gives a shit who is running the place.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 1 user Likes Filox's post
07-10-2013, 08:10 AM
(07-10-2013 08:02 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Splitting the thread into a "discussion" was pointless. There was never a discussion, just one side dismissing the other and calling their concerns and criticisms "stupid" or "silly."

I seem to remember a forum that was so quick to put a blanket ban on a single subject out of fear of any one person on the forum getting so distraught over it, that it started this whole cascade. Now, you have a situation where people are telling you they have a problem and it just gets ignored and people are told that "this may not be the forum for you."

That line was once used to help keep moderation to a minimum because of the people who wanted a heavy-handed set of mods and FT members. It is now being used to say that "if you disagree with a theist running an atheist forum and don't like how those in charge are handling it, then fuck off."

Actually I was completely against that ban. It was ridiculous the way certain people handled themselves on that one. I got the instruction from Seth though and I did my job, it wasn't my decision to make once Seth stepped in.

Plus, it's not a case of some ignorant dismissal like you're portraying. Not every problem people raise can be solved. It's that simple. There are always gonna be people who don't get their way, that's life. All I'm saying is that if anyone on any side of the matter feels this forum doesn't align with what they need then they need to decide whether to accept the way things are or find a forum that they are better suited to. People's concerns are always listened to, that doesn't mean that they will always be acted upon though, that is clearly not possible.

Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
07-10-2013, 08:12 AM
(07-10-2013 08:04 AM)Hughsie Wrote:  
(07-10-2013 08:01 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  And, I appreciate you sharing this burden with me.

Thanks. Smile

Speaking of that how do you like the wording in the CC? I posted a new title for it a few days ago I think.

Well done. You encompassed what Seth was trying to say.

I'm cool with it if everyone else is.

[Image: RHcn6pd.gif]
07-10-2013, 08:13 AM
(07-10-2013 08:12 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Well done. You encompassed what Seth was trying to say.

Want me to get it up officially or hold off for now?

Best
Worst
07-10-2013, 08:16 AM
(07-10-2013 08:13 AM)Hughsie Wrote:  
(07-10-2013 08:12 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Well done. You encompassed what Seth was trying to say.

Want me to get it up officially or hold off for now?

Go ahead and get it up.

Oh, and don't forget to tweak the existing wording on the others.

Thanks again.

07-10-2013, 08:19 AM
Oh and TBD, why exactly are you equating me with John Boehner?

07-10-2013, 08:35 AM
Sigh... the forum's best member is gone. You guys better tighten up your act and amuse me more, or I'll blow up a school for puppies.

[Image: opforum1.png]
[+] 3 users Like frankiej's post
07-10-2013, 08:38 AM
(07-10-2013 08:02 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(06-10-2013 09:47 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  You're right Tim.

This place isn't for me with fuckers like you around.

Peace out, gang.

Splitting the thread into a "discussion" was pointless. There was never a discussion, just one side dismissing the other and calling their concerns and criticisms "stupid" or "silly."

I'm not saying fuck off...
I'm saying the world if full of theists, they sure as fuck far outnumber us.. living with them is a reality so to have a cry about one gaining a bit of power here is stupid. Especially when that same theist has been around here for donkey's years and is a great person.
As I said in my original post it's about tolerance. Why should we not include him because of his stupid believes..? because this is an "atheist" forum? Last I checked the main subforum is called "Atheism and Theism" and the title of the site is "theTHINKINGatheist". What sort of atheism and theism discussion would arise if we only ever had atheists? It would be one sided pat on your back pat on mine sort of discussions. What sort of "thinking" does that promote? It promotes the exact same narrow-minded thinking we atheists accuse theists of.
The problem with religion is not the fact that person X believes in some invisible man in the sky, the problem with religion is tolerance, or lack there of.
Now excuse me for a moment while I get all lovey dovey for a second, but in an ideal world people would be tolerant of religion, ethnicity, sexuality, background etc.. all those things that make us different. And I think that having a theist mod is about that. It's like having a black president. Sure, he's pretty useless as a president so I hear, but because he's black it's so symbolic of tolerance.

And yea it is a bit of "if you don't like there are other sites out there" because that's exactly right. This forum has always been about open-ness, I see having a theist admin perfectly fitting with this. And if you don't like it I'm sure there are more restrictive atheist forums out there where all atheists stand around have a good circle jerk of self encouragement and reassurance of eachothers lack of faith .
I personal prefer our model of open-ness where you get theists and other nut jobs. It tests you a hell of a lot more than some atheist posting a thread about how theists suck and everyone agreeing... it makes you a better person.

And no I don't wanna see Erxy go, I'm not saying "fuck off". I want the pre-FZU Erxy back. But if he's gonna be a douche than I'm not going to waste my breath "begging" him to stay.
He's obviously made up his mind a while ago anyway, prevalent by his long absences.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 6 users Like earmuffs's post