Theist Speak

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-02-2013, 10:29 AM
RE: Theist Speak
I'm tired of people saying "Jesus is my savior, not my religion."

Then they turn around and say "You need Jesus or you're going to hell."

Ok. Once certain people tell you that you are going to the under world if you don't believe what they do than it becomes a religion.

Definition of Religion - The belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, esp. a personal God or gods

[font=arial, sans-serif]What is Jesus other than a superhuman controlling power?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-02-2013, 10:52 AM
"It's not about religion, It's about relationship."

Really? A relationship? What is religion other than someone believing that they are maintaining some form of relationship with their deity. Can I call BS on that one please?

Just an outsider looking inn.
[+] 2 users Like Foxcanine1's post
22-02-2013, 12:15 PM
(22-02-2013 10:52 AM)Foxcanine1 Wrote:  "It's not about religion, It's about relationship."

Really? A relationship? What is religion other than someone believing that they are maintaining some form of relationship with their deity. Can I call BS on that one please?
Please do. I got in an argument with an ex-friend of mine because I said that the whole relationship philosophy was garbage. Dodgy I think I need to make a policy that forbids me to be friends with practicing Christians.
23-02-2013, 02:17 PM
My mom telling me that evolution has been disproven....

"Invisible pink unicorns" and "Screaming blue ants" Matt Slick
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-02-2013, 08:33 PM
(23-02-2013 02:17 PM)ChuckTesta Wrote:  My mom telling me that evolution has been disproven....
I used to think it was crap until the public school system showed me the light. You'd be surprised what people believe when they hear it from a source they trust.
[+] 1 user Likes The Talking Goat's post
23-02-2013, 08:46 PM
The best part is she says she has proof....ffs these thoughts have been hammered in the minds of these people so much over so much time that it feels to me like they have become robots. My mom tells me...all I can say is I know their is a hell and a devil. I can not stand the thought of you going to hell. And then when I say wow that is a statement full of guilt she says no its one of love...

23-02-2013, 09:11 PM
(23-02-2013 08:46 PM)ChuckTesta Wrote:  The best part is she says she has proof....ffs these thoughts have been hammered in the minds of these people so much over so much time that it feels to me like they have become robots. My mom tells me...all I can say is I know their is a hell and a devil. I can not stand the thought of you going to hell. And then when I say wow that is a statement full of guilt she says no its one of love...
People will go crazy trying to find something to support their idea of truth, even if they have to ignore hundreds of facts for one thing that supports what they want to believe. I used to avoid books that presented an atheist viewpoint purposely because I was so afraid of the doubt in my head, but all the Christian apologetics I've ever read couldn't hold up when I finally let myself search with an open mind. I'm sure there are many others like this.

I know it can suck to hear a loved one say that you are going to hell; it's something that can be frustrating and even hurtful at times. The thing to remember when you are frustrated is that this is what she sincerely believes and that in her mind she's trying to save you from something awful, even if we don't believe in it. Undecided

I wonder if (and I'm not sure this would work but I'm curious) if you could make a deal with her? Like, you read what 'proof' she wants you to read or whatever if she reads some literature that people on the forums have suggested. I know most religious people won't touch our shit, but sometimes you can get lucky.

That reminds me... my friend that went to Catholic school said he doesn't mind going to hell if it somehow becomes true because he'll have better conversations there. I told him we could have a weenie roast.
[+] 1 user Likes The Talking Goat's post
23-02-2013, 09:25 PM
I don't feel it would change her viewpoint at all honestly. But yeah oh boy heaven we go from blindly serving and worshiping a god our whole lives. To something that is so much better....and what will we be doing?....Oh that's right I forgot we will be worshiping and serving god. Wow that sounds amazing I simply cant wait.

23-02-2013, 09:39 PM
That's part of the reason my dad gave up on Christianity - the reward just doesn't sound that great.

Are both of your parents religious or just your mom?
23-02-2013, 10:03 PM
Just about any post from PleaseJesus has a humdinger or two in it. I could just about cut and paste something from every one of his posts for example the following from the thread The Gauntlet:

"And how do we know GOD isn't the entity that is writing your entry? And how do we know I didn't write your entry, the originator of the challenge?"

The mind contortions he makes are worthy of the circus or mental hospital.

"Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.” ~ Ambrose Bierce
“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's." - Mark Twain in Eruption