Theist Speak

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-02-2013, 12:12 AM
RE: Theist Speak
Thank you goat for everything you have said. You have no idea how good it feels to express how I feel with you its truly liberating Smile Oh and my mom also said that she believes 100% that she is correct. 100% not 99.9% 100% I asked her how she can be 100% sure of anything that has yet to happen. She had no real answer it seems more like emotions to me and not facts.

"Invisible pink unicorns" and "Screaming blue ants" Matt Slick
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-02-2013, 12:21 AM
No problem; I love being open. 100 percent is something that makes it harder because then you know the person probably won't let go. Most religion is emotion, but it's hard to tell what she could have been fed in her life. I would say that it's going to be a challenge to persuade her - it may never happen. But at the same time, we can hope and make sure that the people surrounding us see that there's nothing wrong with a godless lifestyle.
Find all posts by this user
24-02-2013, 12:27 AM
This is the stance of my old church regarding youth. Instead of just saying we currently do not have a youth program. But we are 100% open to ideas on how to create one and would love to have one in the near future. But no instead this is what they say on their website.

At BOTI, we believe that students are able to understand, learn and grow
from our main message on Sunday morning. Accordingly, we leave the
opportunity for students to hear the same message as the rest of our
church family. This provides students the opportunity to be a part of
the main congregation on Sundays and also the opportunity to serve our
church family at large.

24-02-2013, 12:35 AM
The way the church presents itself, I think, is used to draw people in. It sounds better than saying that they don't have a youth program.

I never really wanted to be a part of my youth group; I felt like I was being talked down to and judged for my age when I knew more about the Bible than most of the adults in the congregation. However, youth groups usually try to do fun activities that cause more young people to go to church.

In my college's student center (I'm out for the time being but I still go in to visit and I went last semester) there was always this booth giving out cookies and trying to talk to us about Jesus. Seriously, what place does that have in a place of higher education?
24-02-2013, 12:42 AM
(24-02-2013 12:35 AM)The Talking Goat Wrote:  The way the church presents itself, I think, is used to draw people in. It sounds better than saying that they don't have a youth program.

I never really wanted to be a part of my youth group; I felt like I was being talked down to and judged for my age when I knew more about the Bible than most of the adults in the congregation. However, youth groups usually try to do fun activities that cause more young people to go to church.

In my college's student center (I'm out for the time being but I still go in to visit and I went last semester) there was always this booth giving out cookies and trying to talk to us about Jesus. Seriously, what place does that have in a place of higher education?

I agree for sure just the level of ignorance in the youth alone. (I attended youth group and "life groups" for most of my time spent at the church) I overheard one of the students saying "so if evolution is true then why do we have any morals"...even at that time when I was still going to church I did a giant facepalm in my head.

24-02-2013, 12:47 AM
(24-02-2013 12:42 AM)ChuckTesta Wrote:  
(24-02-2013 12:35 AM)The Talking Goat Wrote:  The way the church presents itself, I think, is used to draw people in. It sounds better than saying that they don't have a youth program.

I agree for sure just the level of ignorance in the youth alone. (I attended youth group and "life groups" for most of my time spent at the church) I overheard one of the students saying "so if evolution is true then why do we have any morals"...even at that time when I was still going to church I did a giant facepalm in my head.
It makes me sad to hear people say weird things like that. Most humans have the ability to feel empathy for other human beings; that's where our morals come from. I don't see how they think a god that killed millions of people in the Bible gave them any moral judgment.
24-02-2013, 12:49 AM
(24-02-2013 12:47 AM)The Talking Goat Wrote:  
(24-02-2013 12:42 AM)ChuckTesta Wrote:  I agree for sure just the level of ignorance in the youth alone. (I attended youth group and "life groups" for most of my time spent at the church) I overheard one of the students saying "so if evolution is true then why do we have any morals"...even at that time when I was still going to church I did a giant facepalm in my head.
It makes me sad to hear people say weird things like that. Most humans have the ability to feel empathy for other human beings; that's where our morals come from. I don't see how they think a god that killed millions of people in the Bible gave them any moral judgment.

Oh but we must remember that god HAD to do this he HAD no other choice THEY WERE IN SIN!!

24-02-2013, 12:57 AM
One story I really hate that shows just how evil God could be is the story of Jephthath. It's in the book of Judges and it's one of the times in the Bible that's interesting to contrast with the story of Abraham trying to sacrifice Jacob. I'll link the Iron Chariots Wiki to it since I'm too lazy to find the story and all. Wink
24-02-2013, 01:05 AM
(24-02-2013 12:57 AM)The Talking Goat Wrote:  One story I really hate that shows just how evil God could be is the story of Jephthath. It's in the book of Judges and it's one of the times in the Bible that's interesting to contrast with the story of Abraham trying to sacrifice Jacob. I'll link the Iron Chariots Wiki to it since I'm too lazy to find the story and all. Wink

I honestly can not see how people don't see that their are things very..very wrong here "We get our morals from god" Oh yeah that makes total sense what moral story was taught here?

24-02-2013, 01:07 AM
I couldn't find any moral even if we assume that the story is supposed to be a metaphor. So many things are just out of whack in the Bible morally, and if you were to follow it all from a literal standpoint, you'd be arrested.