Theist arguments that are making me crazy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-01-2013, 04:25 PM
RE: Theist arguments that are making me crazy
You need to start talking to more educated theists.

They do exist in the South... just hard to find.

Likewise, I would refrain from talking to your average, run-of-the-mill Christian if you don't want to get annoyed (and this is coming from me).

[Image: vjp09.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-01-2013, 04:26 PM
Hah, you're definitely not average, but that doesn't make you less annoying...

Smile

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 1 user Likes Aseptic Skeptic's post
03-01-2013, 06:38 PM
(03-01-2013 04:26 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  Hah, you're definitely not average, but that doesn't make you less annoying...

Smile
When my repping refreshes, you're getting a rep point for that.

lol, I don't know why I laughed. Big Grin

03-01-2013, 07:00 PM
Aw KC, no rainbows? Today is a sad day.

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
04-01-2013, 12:51 AM
(03-01-2013 07:00 PM)Red Tornado Wrote:  Aw KC, no rainbows? Today is a sad day.
Rainbows are kaput.

04-01-2013, 04:18 AM (This post was last modified: 04-01-2013 04:23 AM by Vosur.)
(03-01-2013 04:25 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  You need to start talking to more educated theists.

Likewise, I would refrain from talking to your average, run-of-the-mill Christian if you don't want to get annoyed (and this is coming from me).
I have a hard time choosing one of the seemingly endless possible snide and cynical responses to this post. Consider

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
04-01-2013, 08:39 AM
(04-01-2013 04:18 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(03-01-2013 04:25 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  You need to start talking to more educated theists.

I have a hard time choosing one of the seemingly endless possible snide and cynical responses to this post. Consider
[Image: come+at++me+bro.jpg]

04-01-2013, 08:42 AM
(04-01-2013 08:39 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(04-01-2013 04:18 AM)Vosur Wrote:  I have a hard time choosing one of the seemingly endless possible snide and cynical responses to this post. Consider
[Image: come+at++me+bro.jpg]

Particularly ill-chosen image that. Shocking

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-01-2013, 08:44 AM
How so?

04-01-2013, 12:43 PM
@KC, some of these ppl I'm talking about have master's degrees. It is not hard to find educated people (even theists) in the south. We have universities and we do actually think here contrary to popular belief. Talking to educated theists is worse in a way because they have more likely been exposed to other ways of thinking and as such have more sophisticated rationalizations (hey a southerner just used 2 big words in a row, call the media!) Even the ones with master's and doctorates still come back to you gotta have faith. And some of the educated and intelligent ones are still either young earth creationists and/or deniers of evolution.

I don't even particularly care to convert them. I just wish they'd not tell me I'm going to hell or am otherwise deficient. I have a problem with them making political and legal decisions based on superstition but I can vote against those, and that's a whole other can of worms. But especially in a professional setting, they need to quit assuming I agree with them and then getting wigged out if they find out I don't. If I did the same to them, it would be harassment or at least rudeness. But somehow it's ok for them because god is on their side. They don't understand that I too have freedom NOT to be religious.

Until recently some states would not let atheists testify in court. In private lives people can believe what they want, but my lack of belief should not be a factor in the public arena. However, theists here aren't content to let that happen. They aren't content with me obeying the laws, working, paying taxes, watching my kid play in the marching band, mowing my lawn, and being at least as moral a person as many of them. Good behavior is not enough.

Ok I've digressed from the original post, but wanted to address KC's post about talking to educated theists. Heck I've even digressed from that too, oh well...

Godless in the Magnolia State
[+] 1 user Likes cjs's post