Theist mothers

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-06-2012, 07:41 AM
Theist mothers
I'm not an "out" atheist, and the reason for this is my mother. My mother is a dedicated theist who invested countless ours with me and my siblings as children teaching us what she learned from bible studies week to week. My brother is also a closet atheist, and for the same reason. We both think that if she knew of our atheism she would remain a theist for the rest of her life and that she would carry a deep wound to her heart to the grave in expecting not to find us in heaven. My brother and I are both in our 30s.

Is this is situation many other members either have experienced or are experiencing?

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-06-2012, 10:08 AM
RE: Theist mothers
(01-06-2012 07:41 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  I'm not an "out" atheist, and the reason for this is my mother. My mother is a dedicated theist who invested countless ours with me and my siblings as children teaching us what she learned from bible studies week to week. My brother is also a closet atheist, and for the same reason. We both think that if she knew of our atheism she would remain a theist for the rest of her life and that she would carry a deep wound to her heart to the grave in expecting not to find us in heaven. My brother and I are both in our 30s.

Is this is situation many other members either have experienced or are experiencing?
I feel your pain and experienced something similar for years.

Then one day, I wrote a blog post for my son which eulogized my beloved uncle. I made mention of my atheism in it, and my mom and other theist family members caught wind of it.

What resulted was a fairly ugly confrontation. Months have passed and things are still uneasy from time to time, but I'm glad it happened.

That said, it drives me bonkers to think about just how nasty a doctrine would have to be in order to make a ticket to heaven utterly bittersweet.

Hang in there. Either way, everything is going to be alright.

Join the Logic Speaks Community

I am the unconverted
01-06-2012, 10:20 AM
I can relate.
My 77 year old mother is housebound with old age. She often says the only things she cares about is family and her relationship with The Looooooord. Why make a big deal of my beliefs if it will hurt her? She knows I don't go to church or pray and I feel this is enough. Maybe I'll change my thinking later, but I probably won't.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
01-06-2012, 10:23 AM
a little white lie never hurt anyone...

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
01-06-2012, 10:44 AM
We spread the “good news” of what we know because it makes us happy inside.
But if the other person believes in different “good news”… and we keep on insisting: isn’t that spreading unhappiness?
I think it will be irrational if someone is happy by spreading unhappiness?

Our Quest for Happiness

Will “being happy” is the “truth”?..... I doubt it.
Will the “truth” make us “happy”?
If yes…. so it is actually “Our quest to be happy” then.

If not…. What is the point of looking for the truth?
The truth will set you free. Free from what: from unhappiness?
So, it is actually “our quest to be happy “ then.

What is the evidence of being happy: Feelings?