Theistic Absolutism: A question I'm asking Christians.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-02-2012, 11:21 AM
RE: Theistic Absolutism: A question I'm asking Christians.
Kineo, PM sent.

If you wouldn't mind, copy and paste the comments in this thread (of course removing the names - except mine... everyone knows my name).

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-02-2012, 11:25 AM
Actually when it comes to Zeus, Yahweh, Baal, etc I am a 7.

When it comes to a "concept" of god I'm easily a 5 possibly 6.

Anyway KC I can see why someone would get upset with such a sermon. What your sermon really focuses on there is doubt. It tells people that it's a good thing to explore non belief and impose faith instead.

Mentioning Richard Dawkins to youth is likely to put them on a path where they could lose their faith. It's fine with adults who are fully convicted but they are likely afraid you are going to de-covert the kids.
[+] 2 users Like Godless's post
29-02-2012, 11:27 AM
(29-02-2012 11:25 AM)Godless Wrote:  Mentioning Richard Dawkins to youth is likely to put them on a path where they could lose their faith. It's fine with adults who are fully convicted but they are likely afraid you are going to de-covert the kids.

I get that... but sheltering minds is more dangerous IMO.

[+] 3 users Like kingschosen's post
29-02-2012, 12:11 PM
Ok now your really starting to sound like an Atheist.

Most pastors would think it's far more dangerous not to shelter minds from evils of the devil.
[+] 2 users Like Godless's post
29-02-2012, 12:15 PM
(29-02-2012 12:11 PM)Godless Wrote:  Ok now your really starting to sound like an Atheist.

Most pastors would think it's far more dangerous not to shelter minds from evils of the devil.

That's why so many believers begin to turn away from religion once they get out of their parents' house and are on their own. It's not college that does it, it's being away from the environment of constant reaffirmation.

I once had a pastor give a small group of us a message that we are like ice cubes in a tray. As long as we are in the try in the freezer we keep our shape, but if we move out of the freezer then we being to melt. He was right in a way, but the frozen water is not the desired state of mind I want to be in.
[+] 2 users Like kineo's post
29-02-2012, 12:27 PM
(29-02-2012 12:15 PM)kineo Wrote:  
(29-02-2012 12:11 PM)Godless Wrote:  Ok now your really starting to sound like an Atheist.

That's why so many believers begin to turn away from religion once they get out of their parents' house and are on their own. It's not college that does it, it's being away from the environment of constant reaffirmation.

I once had a pastor give a small group of us a message that we are like ice cubes in a tray. As long as we are in the try in the freezer we keep our shape, but if we move out of the freezer then we being to melt. He was right in a way, but the frozen water is not the desired state of mind I want to be in.

Exactly. This whole breed of fundamentalists that shelter "impressionable minds" needs to go. The times aren't like they used to be. Information is readily available, and instead of promoting ignorance, Christians need to promote knowledge and understanding.

Plus, based on my beliefs, God controls salvation.

[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
29-02-2012, 12:28 PM
(29-02-2012 11:21 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Kineo, PM sent.

If you wouldn't mind, copy and paste the comments in this thread (of course removing the names - except mine... everyone knows my name).

I sent you the PM with the full copied text so you can edit. I will say that he called you a liar. Big Grin He's pissed!

You know someone is pissed when they write a sentence, hit submit... then immediately write another message, and keep doing that over and over rather than sitting down to write a thought out response.
[+] 1 user Likes kineo's post
29-02-2012, 12:30 PM (This post was last modified: 29-02-2012 12:41 PM by kingschosen.)
(29-02-2012 12:28 PM)kineo Wrote:  
(29-02-2012 11:21 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Kineo, PM sent.

I sent you the PM with the full copied text so you can edit. I will say that he called you a liar. Big Grin He's pissed!

You know someone is pissed when they write a sentence, hit submit... then immediately write another message, and keep doing that over and over rather than sitting down to write a thought out response.

lol I saw that... PM sent again.

Going to try and clean this guy's message up.
Pissed Pastor (yes, these are all separate comments)
Quote: John 17:3 Knowing and being sure is the privilege only a believer has. 1 John 5:13 These things are written that you may KNOW you have eternal life.
Quote:And just because this man you knew "claims" to have faith is a weak argument!
Quote:And with all due respect you are not just lying to yourself you are a liar.
Quote: And how can God give us a command in Hebrews that we must believe God exist if it were not possible!
Quote:I guess it does take alot of gall to say, "I know in whom I have believed"
Quote: And a person doesn't have to be Omniscient to know God. Knowing God and knowing He exist is the goal for which mankind was created.
Quote:Faith is the "anecdotal" evidence......Oh I'm sorry that's not what Hebrews 11:1 says. "'Faith is THE EVIDENCE of things unseen"
Quote:Your faith my friend is not in Christ if you can't tell me you know God exist. Your faith is based on hollow philosophy and empty testimonies from modern day Pharisees who claimed to see but their guilt remains!
Quote: John 9:41
Quote:You said that God could not be "proved" can you explain to me what Paul was doing here in Acts 17:3 ?
Quote:And I never said I knew God by "leaning on my own understanding"....You missed what I wrote in that the Peace of God "transcends" understanding.....Phil. 4:6 which means to go above and beyond our understanding.
Quote: Jeremy do you have a church home?

My brother
Quote:Brother, your entire post are all in vain because you have totally missed the main point of this entire note. Jeremy is arguing that one cannot %100 prove the existence of God based on empirical evidence. Because of this, we need special revelation and faith. I also find it quite sad that you fling a heavy accusation at Jeremy by calling him a liar, and then turn around and ask if he has a church home! Wow, I'm sure he really can't wait to burst through the doors of the church where the pastor just called him a liar! You dont even know Jeremy, and you come and comment on a persons note that you dont know and fling accusations. I am more perturbed by this than your lack of ability to read and comprehend an argument. Great outreach strategy. Let me know how that is working for you brother. Maybe you should write a book.

Pissed Pastor
Quote:So I guess everyone is just suppossed to bow down to this philosophy that someone googled. Thank you for your love toward me too [my brother]. You should write a book and call it "I truly believe He's not really God!" I agree with you that empirical evidence is useless but you guys are calling "faith" which comes from God. "empirical" And believe me brother I wasn't as hard on you guys as i should've been. We can disagree on some things but with this you guys are oppossed to the very fabric of the gospel!
Quote: Is this what you really believe?: "I don't know 100% if God really exist, moreover a Christian God? What is this?

My brother
Quote:Again, you are missing the point. I never said faith was empirical evidence. Faith does not come from science or examining the universe. It is a gift of God that comes from the preaching of the gospel. Again, you are making harsh accusations by saying we deny the very fabric of the gospel without even understanding what you are arguing against, because you are either not really reading what we are saying or because you really don't understand.

Pissed Pastor
Quote:Hopefully I am misunderstanding this it would bring me great joy. And I want iron to sharpen iron not stab each other with it so I will try to slip away quietly. I looked at your FB wall [my brother] you have a beautiful family. God bless you and them.
Quote:Sometimes I struggle between being a Pastor or a "sheep dog"

[+] 2 users Like kingschosen's post
29-02-2012, 12:42 PM (This post was last modified: 29-02-2012 12:45 PM by Erxomai.)
(29-02-2012 12:15 PM)kineo Wrote:  

That's the sort of thing that really fucked my mind for a long time...the warnings are all true. A burning ember stays hot until you pull it away from the fire. Listening to rock music and watching rated R movies will dull your relationship with Jesus. Psychological warfare is going strong in the Church.
Hahahaha...Jeremy, now you know how it feels to be told you were never a "real" Christian.
Lulz

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
29-02-2012, 12:49 PM
(29-02-2012 12:42 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Hahahaha...Jeremy, now you know how it feels to be told you were never a "real" Christian.
Lulz

Haha, please. That's like water off a duck's back now.

But yeah, I don't put much stock into someone who can't deduct a blatant and clear message from text. Moreover, it's sad that this guy is that intellectually barren and went to seminary.